Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   1993 Civic CX transmission?? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/1993-civic-cx-transmission-3327.html)

Brian D. 11-16-2006 06:44 AM

1993 Civic CX transmission??

I found one of these in a yard near me. Is this transmission worth taking? I have the HF with the shorter gears (49 state, I guess....not the taller ones that I'd hoped for). Anyway, what's the gear ratio for this CX? I'm wondering if it would be better for me.

Otherwise, should I rescue this tranny before they crush the car? Anyone need it? (Just not sure if it would be worth it to you after shipping).

-Brian in Virginia

Matt Timion 11-16-2006 07:44 AM

I wasn't aware that the HF came in different gear ratios. I'd recheck that just to be sure.

The CX transmission is only good if you have a 92-95 Civic. It will NOT fit in earlier civics at all.... well, unless you want to hack and weld it on there, and then convert to a hydrolic clutch.

Brian D. 11-16-2006 08:01 AM

Sure. There was a 49 state HF and "the other" model. The other model (California?) was the one that gets better mileage, due to a taller 5th gear. My '91 was that car. My (current) '89 is the former. This is why if you check the EPA estimates, you'll see 2 listings for the HF model (probably all between '88-'91. The worst part about it is finding out how to decipher which trans is which when it comes down to differentiating between HF's.

Gary Palmer 11-16-2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I wasn't aware that the HF came in different gear ratios. I'd recheck that just to be sure.

The CX transmission is only good if you have a 92-95 Civic. It will NOT fit in earlier civics at all.... well, unless you want to hack and weld it on there, and then convert to a hydrolic clutch.

Matt: The HF did come in 3 different ratio's. They had one for California, which was pretty close to the same as a CX, then they had a 49 state unit, which was the lowest and then they had a high altitude model, which I think was some other final ratio.

kwtorbe 11-16-2006 09:20 AM

Can't the CX transmission be used in a later civic like a '96-'00 civic? I know I am looking for one for my HX but I'm in Tulsa, OK.

SVOboy 11-16-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwtorbe
Can't the CX transmission be used in a later civic like a '96-'00 civic? I know I am looking for one for my HX but I'm in Tulsa, OK.

Yep.

jpciii 11-18-2006 09:00 AM

you can easily use it on 92-00 D-series civics, and you can make it work on 88-91 D-series civics if you do a cable-to-hydrolic clutch changeover... Hasport sells a kit. I don't think there is any hacking or welding involved.

Matt Timion 11-18-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpciii
you can easily use it on 92-00 D-series civics, and you can make it work on 88-91 D-series civics if you do a cable-to-hydrolic clutch changeover... Hasport sells a kit. I don't think there is any hacking or welding involved.

One of the mounts on the 92-00 transmissions are different from the 88-91, so there would need to be some sort of custom bracket made or purchased.

For the money required to it to work (cable to hydrolic kit AND the mount kit) you would be much better off just trying to find a California CRX HF transmission.