Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Manual vs Automatic (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/manual-vs-automatic-3473.html)

zpiloto 12-12-2006 06:29 PM

Manual vs Automatic

Curious if there is a way to pull data from the garage to find out how many cars are automatic and how many are standards and where they rank on the list. It would be interesting to see how much FE you lose with the auto.

GasSavers_Red 12-12-2006 06:33 PM

You'd have to add another field in the edit form for tranny type along with a matching data value inside the database. Fairly simple

omgwtfbyobbq 12-12-2006 06:48 PM

A lot. Unless it's a Saturn. 10%+ across the board plus idling while coasting in N hurts.

kickflipjr 12-12-2006 08:06 PM

People generally say 10%. I have been doing fairly good with my automatic saturn compared to other manual saturns on the board.

Just look at epa ratings. The manual tranny gets better FE 97% of the time.

kickflipjr 12-12-2006 08:10 PM

Green hybrid has a fairly huge mileage database.

Civic Hybrid I auto(cvt) average- 46
Civic Hybrid I manual average- 48
Insight auto(cvt) average- 55
Insight manual average- 65

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

GasSavers_Brock 12-13-2006 08:17 AM

You can see on the TDI site beside a couple of members from here ;) a good comparison between the same vehicle in auto vs manual.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=156935
The manuals hold from 66 mpg to about 45 mpg, then you start to mix in the autos, then below 41 mpg it is all autos. Looks like a good 10% or better for manuals.

I would be really curious in a head to head on the same vehicle, same driving conditions. This is one of the reasons I would have to get a Mazda 5 vs a Toyota Rav 4. I think I could get considerably better mileage with the stick in the Mazda even though it’s rated lower then the Rav. I mean I think I could beat EPA in a stick or auto, but by a better margin in a stick.

krousdb 12-13-2006 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
You can see on the TDI site beside a couple of members from here ;) a good comparison between the same vehicle in auto vs manual.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=156935
The manuals hold from 66 mpg to about 45 mpg, then you start to mix in the autos, then below 41 mpg it is all autos. Looks like a good 10% or better for manuals.

I would be really curious in a head to head on the same vehicle, same driving conditions. This is one of the reasons I would have to get a Mazda 5 vs a Toyota Rav 4. I think I could get considerably better mileage with the stick in the Mazda even though it?s rated lower then the Rav. I mean I think I could beat EPA in a stick or auto, but by a better margin in a stick.

I am pretty happy with the RAV 4 mileage to date (when I drive it). We have a trip planned to the beach this weekend and I should get some good highway data. As for the M5, I am sure that you could do better in the city, but the highway numbers for autos have gotten much better lately. For the new Camry you only get 1 MPG with a manual and for the Civic, you lose 2 MPG. If you do get that M5 it would be interesting to compare notes.

As for the TDI group, I have begun to get tired of the Prius bashing. I'm wondering why they target the Prius and pile on and on and on? Not just one thread but two. Both the Prius and TDi's have merit. I wonder why are they so negative?

MetroMPG 12-13-2006 09:42 AM

Brock, I'm surprised there aren't any DSG cars at the top. Aren't they essentially clutched transmissions with manual or auto control modes (like smartzuuk's 6-speed at the top of the list)?

omgwtfbyobbq 12-13-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Both the Prius and TDi's have merit. I wonder why are they so negative?

I've noticed there's plenty of anti-diesel/hybrid sentiment on both hybrid and diesel forums, but it's generally limited to new/er vehicle owners. Most people that wrench enough tend to spend less time talking down and more time fixing up. Or in my case aimlessly browsing the internet. :thumbdown: ;)

GasSavers_Brock 12-14-2006 11:08 AM

All it takes is a couple of people who are set against anything other then what they choose and know and it messes up a thread. I am all for better mileage no matter what the car or truck. The way I see it, it should be hybrid's, TDI's and great FE regular gassers all against big unnecessary gas guzzlers. So it is funny to see fighting between these groups. I don’t have a problem with trucks or SUV’s if they NEED to be used that way. If your hauling 3000lbs of equipment get a truck, if you’re hauling 8 people out in the woods get a SUV. Just please don’t drive an SUV to and from work by yourself. The right tool for the right job…

I agree that they tend to be newer folks who jump on anything they don't understand on any of the boards, be it hybrid, TDI or gassers. The folks who tend to stick around more to be more open to new ideas and more interested in other options.

Metro I am surprised as well. Everyone kept saying the DSG was as good as, if not better then straight manual, yet the numbers don't seem to bear it out. They just had a thread about it on TDI as a matter of fact and they still say they are better then straight manual. I just said until I see real world numbers equal to or better then a manual, I will keep using sticks. Keep in mind the 98-03 had the smaller more efficient ALH 1.9L engines, while 04- and newer have the slightly larger 2.0L PD engines. Overall they get lower mpg, but have more power. But even in the 04 and newer the manuals still get better mileage. I do often wonder though if FE "freaks" (like me) tend to buy manuals and those that are not as concerned about FE buy autos, which in itself could skew the results. Again nothing against autos, they certainly have their place.