Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Max MPG talk (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/max-mpg-talk-3486.html)

kickflipjr 12-14-2006 07:21 PM

Max MPG talk

I just wan't to talk about incredible feats of FE. Such as +100mpg in a metro of +150mpg in a honda insight. I undersatand that this is only a acheiveable in near perfect conditions.

So, that is the best way of doing an insane mpg section? This is what I figure you need.

-Warm outside temps.
-Low or nearly no wind.
-Low speed pulse and glide (i have noticed average speeds are in the 20s or 30s. so is the a p&g between 4th and 3rd gear).
-Nearly flat road.
-Smooth road.
-Low traffic (or no traffic).
-High tire pressure.

I wonder how much better the FE would be if it would be tested on track (such as a large oval).

Peakster 12-14-2006 08:34 PM

Buy yourself a nice big science lab with wind turbines, climate-control, a treadmill for the automobile, and lots of computer equipment. Make sure the interior walls are painted Titanium-White for best effect :D

Driving in the middle of the night seems to work best for me. The traffic lights are easier to predict and there's no people to run you over if you do 40mph (or less :p) on the freeway.

Lug_Nut 12-15-2006 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
So, that is the best way of doing an insane mpg section?

Be insane?
The discipline and restraint to accomplish such feats is the one thing I most lack. Of course, a lot depends on the length (both the distance and the time) of a 'section'. The longer the 'section', the more mental preparation is required. I just relax and drive while I listen in on the conversations between the voices in my head.;)

MetroMPG 12-15-2006 06:35 AM

For record-setting trips, off the top of my head I'd also add:

- pre-warmed engine (particularly if it's a short trip)
- minimal accessory load (electric & mechanical)
- no braking

And I'd say that flat terrain may not be as helpful as roads with hills that are just the right height & profile (steep "up", gradual "down").

MetroMPG 12-15-2006 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
(i have noticed average speeds are in the 20s or 30s. so is the a p&g between 4th and 3rd gear)

The 133 mpg (US) round trip this summer had an average speed of 22 mph / maximum 47 mph. Total trip length was just over 18 miles.

It was mostly 2nd-3rd gear P&G, with some 1-2 as well. And a smaller amount of 3-4.

MetroMPG 12-15-2006 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster
if you do 40mph (or less :p) on the freeway.

How to tell when someone has a ScanGauge. :)

kickflipjr 12-15-2006 06:57 AM

How tall would these perfect hills be metro?

Here is the link to the insight marathon for those who havn't seen it.

https://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...sight+marathon

MetroMPG 12-15-2006 07:14 AM

Now that you ask, I guess height isn't really an issue. It's more about grade. Height becomes an more of an issue when the grade isn't ideal (e.g. if you have to go up an extremely steep hill that has the engine working way outside its minimal BSFC zone, you want it to be a short climb :) ).

I wonder what's the "ideal" hill profile...

EG for the downgrade, it seems like you'd want something that goes on as long as possible with a terminal coasting velocity of roughly 40-45 MPH (so you're not burning up too much kinetic energy on wind resistance).

psyshack 12-15-2006 09:46 AM

My best test loop segment was 70 mpg in the Civic. One of my test loops is semi hilly, good in the country two lane asphault at 20 miles long round trip. Temps in the high 80'sf. No wind. My ave. speed was 27 mph.

My reason for doing the test loop that day was to see the diff. between doing the loop with no fas'ing and with fas'ing.

No fas'ing and on a cold engine was 60 mpg @ 27 mph.
fas'ing was 70 mpg @ 27 mph.