Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Give it up for CA... :( (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f20/give-it-up-for-ca-3554.html)

omgwtfbyobbq 12-27-2006 01:46 PM

Give it up for CA... :(

Stolen from the frybrid forums. This goes into effect after the new years, possibly thanks to rendering company lobbying... It means that in order to transport W/VO, you need to pay at least $175 a year, which really pushes the small guys looking for financial incentive out of the picture. Otoh, what I'm hoping happens is that people band together and form co-ops, split the cost and have one person pick up/distribute, or even acquire more diesel/W/VO vehicles so that a license makes sense financially. This may backfire, and result in co-ops taking over more rendering co turf, legally! I mean, if the private party is licensed and offers to take the waste oil for free, or even pay a few cents a gallon, compared to the co that wants to be paid, which will the owner decide to go with...
:p

SVOboy 12-27-2006 02:03 PM

Indeed, but ca needs to make up some of the money is loses in gas taxes somewhere. At least they are not making SVO/WVO illegal like the UK has done.

omgwtfbyobbq 12-27-2006 02:38 PM

But it shouldn't. I mean, it's kinda like a road tax for EVs, they just haven't put anything up yet because there isn't enough use to warrant it. Other alternative fuel vehicles pay a scaled rate depending on size, so something like that could be implemented... I have yet to contact the DMV, but I don't see why the road tax for a sub 4,000lb LPG vehicle shouldn't be the same as a sub 4,000lb biodiesel vehicle. Can't say W/VO because it isn't an EPA approved fuel, but that's another pile o' stuff for another day... :(

GasSavers_Ryland 12-27-2006 08:37 PM

I read thru most of the sited law, and couldn't tell if this law would affect people who were doing this for personal use, altho it sounded like alot of it was aimed at people who were for hire, or making a profit.

"19316. It is the purpose of this article to prevent the sale and
transfer of illegally obtained inedible kitchen grease.

because you could argue that any bio-fuel is inedible kitchen grease, along with pet food, makeup, any anything else that contains used oil, and there for illegle to transport, but once you obtane your waste oil, I would clame that it's a fuel, at least as long as you prosess it in some way first (filter it thru a sock and it's filtered oil) and last I checked it was perfectly leagle in all 50 states to produce up to 300 gallons every 3 months of your own fuel for personal use without paying taxes or any other fees.

So as I take it, this new law does not affect people who collect waste oil for personal use.

repete86 12-27-2006 08:50 PM

Typical of the government money-machine going out of its way to help big oil by making it more difficult to get off of it. I can't wait until we run out of the crap.

GasSavers_Diemaster 12-28-2006 05:22 PM

sorry i'm tired but what does W/Vo mean?

budomove 12-28-2006 05:28 PM

wvo-waste vegatable oil

svo-straight vo :)

omgwtfbyobbq 12-28-2006 05:40 PM

I just use the slash to have one term for what people call waste and straight vegetable oil, since I don't see why it's not just called vegetable oil, and if it's used, waste vegetable oil.

The Toecutter 12-30-2006 11:14 AM

Unjust laws shouldn't even be followed. I'd never pay the fee.

As for the tax issue, instead of hiking taxes to make up for lost revenue, cut it out of the profit margins of the contractors who make the roads. Taxes are already much higher than they need to be for the given amount of service we receive. The tax system is being used to line the pockets of shareholders moreso than for performing a specific function. Address this, and we wouldn't need more taxes.

Lug_Nut 12-30-2006 04:58 PM

"Inedible" is the critical word. Dip a finger in the used crud and lick it clean. Voila! exempt because it isn't inedible. Gross? Sure, but it beats paying a fine.