Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   My personal best! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/my-personal-best-3580.html)

brelandt 01-02-2007 04:23 PM

My personal best!

Just wanted to share and brag a little. :p

before I joined this site my highest MPG was 28.7 (Up from the 20.1 it was getting when my dad handed the keys to me).

A lot of work has gone into this thing.

Since I have been on this site I have lowered my top speed from 65-70 to 55-60. Also, I have been putting on my seatbelt before I start the engine instead of afterward and letting it run for 30 seconds doing nothing while I adjusted everything (waste of gas).

Guess what? My MPG has jumped to 30.23!!!!

I don't think it has ever gotten that in the past? Just changing those two bad habits showed a nice gain (not sure the persentage? Someone care to do the math for me?).

Here is what I have done this past weekend for my next tank.

I bought a timing light. My timing was at 3 degrees. Suppose to be 8. turned the distributor up but would not go past 5 degrees. Figured the idle was too low (don't have a tach). The idle screw was at 1/2 turn from fully close! twisted the idle up to 2.5 turns out and was able to get the 8 degrees needed with the distributor at the halfway mark. Runs much better.

Found the engine to be 3 quarts low!!! Added oil and changed the rear axle fluid with the recommended 75w80.

Last but not least I bought a roll of white duct tape and masked off the grill edges, gap between the bumper and grill and the grill inlets itself. I left the 2 horizontal openings below the bumper open for now.

Anyhow, I'll see what happens on my next tank!

MrEvolution 01-03-2007 06:07 AM

good work, Post some pics

MetroMPG 01-03-2007 10:40 AM

That's awesome - congratulations.

30.23/28.7 = 1.053, so 5.3% above your previous best. (50.4% better than 20.1)

5.3% is nothing to sneeze at.

MetroMPG 01-03-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Evolution
Post some pics

Yeah, both of you stick some pics in your garage. Let's see these puppies.

brelandt 01-03-2007 04:12 PM

yeah I'll need to use my sister's camera this weekend. Loaned mine out and haven't seen it since!!!!

Anyhow, thanks for figuring the math out. I'm horrible at it.

I don't have a scan gauge and since it's a 92 it wouldn't work anyways. I don't think the scanMID (?) would either. I only have 1 fuel injector. So all figures are from fill and clock. It isn't that accuart per se but I feel gives me better REAL world numbers. Achieving 35MPG only during 1 section of driving is great but does nothing for my wallet when the average is only 28 or so.

Can't wait till Saturday. I brought home a couple of black 5 gallon buckets from work and I'll try making a good set of wheel well liners from them. The driver front is missing, the left is cracked in half and the rears never came with them. I hope this will further help my truck in the FE department.

Oh nearly forgot. I'm planning to use a set of weatherstrip from a trunk of an old car and seal the edges of my hood with it. My grill is blocked but there is still air getting through the hood.

brelandt 01-04-2007 03:19 PM

Wanted to add another personnal note. I have been driving the past 4 days with the grill taped off and have noticed that after 100 miles my fuel gauge is reading 3/4 full. Normally it's at just about 1/2 tank. This despite the rain, high winds and having to driving into New Orleans to pick up my contact lens. That's a couple of things that I normally don't content with on every tank.

Now....my gauge is not accurate but it is consistent.

Good sign.

Can't wait to fill her back up and check the FE!!!!!