Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hey (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hey-3587.html)

jwxr7 01-03-2007 10:00 AM

Hey

I heard about this site from the team swift forum. I liked this site so well I just had to register.

So a little about me; I like conservation, alternative energy stuff, and modifying vehicles, so this site seems to suit my interests well.

Here's the story of my car:

I bought my first fuel saver car this fall. A 94 geo metro 3cyl 5spd. It was a mess and barely ran, but I got it cheap. It had about 118k miles and the cylinder compression was so good (200psi on all 3) that I figured I couldn't go wrong. I limped it to my brother's house a couple blocks from where I bought it and started messing with it. I advanced the timing alot and it ran good enough to drive the 17 miles to my house. After I got the check engine bulb working I was able to pull codes and get somewhere. The MAP sensor code was the only one coming up. So I found one at the junkyard and replaced it and readjusted the timing. That was pretty much the only thing I needed to do to get it running decent. There were alot of other things I had to do to the rest of the car, but I don't want to write a novel or anything.

I've kept a gas log for this car since I got her running decent. Is it cool to post a log that started months before I registered to this site?

thanks, jamie

MetroMPG 01-03-2007 10:23 AM

Hey Jamie, welcome! (Nice to have another Metroid on board.)

I'm at teamswift.net pretty regularly too. Sometimes it's where you've got to go to find or give the specific info for these cars.

Sounds like you made a nice find on your car. You should definitely add your info to the gas log (and your car details to the garage .. post pics if you've got 'em) - no problem posting tanks back as far as you want.

Darin

CO ZX2 01-03-2007 10:49 AM

Jamie's not afraid to get his hands dirty!! Good job. How is your mileage so far? My brother owns 2 Geos and loves them. Good little cars.

MetroMPG 01-03-2007 10:54 AM

And out of curiosity, what were you driving before the Metro?

jwxr7 01-03-2007 11:26 AM

My running average so far is 48.6 mpg. I was commuting with a 95 park avenue that got 30mpg on the highway, but I still own an 89 mercury cougar xr7 3.8 sc 5spd that I drive sometimes in the summer. It is modded for power not economy (low 20s mpg) . Oh, and I drive an 89 gmc s-15 4cyl 5speed (mid 20s mpg) for wood haulin etc.

I do really like driving the metro, it's like a go kart:D .

jamie

jwxr7 01-03-2007 11:34 AM

Hey MetroMPG, you have been a good source of inspiration from all your tests and experiments I've read on teamswift, gassavers, and your web site.

CO ZX2, nice job with you car! A co-worker has a red 99 5spd zx2, I'll have to show him your's.

MetroMPG 01-03-2007 01:41 PM

Noticed you've got LRRs on the rear, why not stick them on the front where they'll help more? (Unless it's a tread/traction issue for the winter - I see you're in Michigan).

PS - going to put up pics? I want to seeeee the multicoloured beastie.

red91sit 01-03-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwxr7
My running average so far is 48.6 mpg. I was commuting with a 95 park avenue that got 30mpg on the highway, but I still own an 89 mercury cougar xr7 3.8 sc 5spd that I drive sometimes in the summer. It is modded for power not economy (low 20s mpg) . Oh, and I drive an 89 gmc s-15 4cyl 5speed (mid 20s mpg) for wood haulin etc.

I do really like driving the metro, it's like a go kart:D .

jamie

Glad to hear your enjoying the metro! I'd also like to share the fact that you own one of my dream cars! If for any reason you ever consider selling this for any reason at all. You should definetly let me knoW!

jwxr7 01-03-2007 03:28 PM

The LRRs are only 32 psi max and the fronts are 44psi, so i have the fronts pretty hard around 40psi. Plus I never really thought about swapping. The LRRs do have a pretty small footprint, so not sure about the winter traction like you said. I just took some pics of my geo to upload at work tomorrow.

red91sit, so you like the 89 xr7? I have actually had it up for sale for a while due to space limitations. I don't really want to get rid of it but I don't really drive it much. It is in storage now so in spring I may put it back up 4 sale. It is really fun to drive, but the torque is soo addictive that you end up in boost so much that it gets low mpg.

red91sit 01-04-2007 12:37 PM

OH my gosh! woudl i like it? I'd LOVE one!!!! They are pretty much my dream car!

brelandt 01-04-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwxr7
a 95 park avenue that got 30mpg on the highway

Are you serious? My 92 Sidekick with a 4 cylinder, no power steering and weighs in at a mere 1900 pounds struggles to get that mileage!

That's good driving!

Welcome!

diamondlarry 01-04-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

I was commuting with a 95 park avenue that got 30mpg on the highway
Quote:

Are you serious? My 92 Sidekick with a 4 cylinder, no power steering and weighs in at a mere 1900 pounds struggles to get that mileage!

That's good driving!
This very believable, for me anyway. I have a '92 Gran Prix with the 3.1 V-6 and I got just over 34 mpg on a trip from St. Louis, MO to Wakarusa, IN. This was at 70 mph from St. Louis to Indianapolis then 55 from Indy to Wakarusa.

MetroMPG 01-04-2007 04:30 PM

There's gearing and aerodynamics for you...

MetroMPG 01-04-2007 04:31 PM

Nice pics in the garage jwxr7. :D

jwxr7 01-05-2007 04:56 AM

Quote:

That's good driving!
Yeah, it was easy too, no speacial driving techniques. My mixed driving usually made a tank average 27-28mpg, and I've had at least one full tank average over 30. It is a big car but I think it weighs about 3500-3600lbs. My cougar is closer to 4000lbs:( .

Quote:

There's gearing and aerodynamics for you...
totally, it is a pretty well shaped car and the trans was programed to upshift for fuel economy and the 205 hp still made it quick. The rpms in OD with the tcc locked were crazy low on the highway.

Quote:

Nice pics in the garage jwxr7.
thanks