Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Bro needs work vehicle - what should he get? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bro-needs-work-vehicle-what-should-he-get-3599.html)

MetroMPG 01-04-2007 12:27 PM

Bro needs work vehicle - what should he get?

My brother bought a "work vehicle" today (he's going self-employed as a gas furnace & a/c installer/contractor).

I'll tell you what he got later, but what would people recommend given these needs:

- did not want a van
- moderate amount of cargo capacity
- flexible storage capabilities
- 2000 lb towing capability (boat, occasionally)

I think he should have just put a cap on his Tacoma V6 extended cab, and bolted some lockable compartments in the bed, but my bro would apparently rather make bank payments than make do with what he's got until he can afford something else :rolleyes:.

Silveredwings 01-04-2007 12:34 PM

Passat wagon TDI

Hockey4mnhs 01-04-2007 02:43 PM

i wold say a good station wagon 2

MetroMPG 01-04-2007 02:48 PM

Wagons. Yeah. TDI even better. Way to think outside the box (pun intended).

He got a Honda Ridgeline. Sigh.

Gary Palmer 01-04-2007 02:53 PM

Well, it could be worse. I was going to guess he got a Ford Explorer!

MetroMPG 01-04-2007 02:57 PM

True. One of the first things he mentioned to me: the Ridgeline is the most efficient of the trucks in its class.

GasSavers_James 01-04-2007 06:21 PM

I would have recommended a used Ford Ranger 2wd 4cyl 5spd, with a cap, or a toyota pickup 89-02 2wd 4cyl 5spd.
I wouldn't want to work out of a 10 or 20K$ TDi, it would be wrecked quick (but it sure would be efficient).
-James

white90crxhf 01-04-2007 06:32 PM

nothing wrong with a honda ridgeline. i know i'd respect the furance man who drove a honda more than i would him driving a toyota. :)

psyshack 01-04-2007 06:58 PM

Good luck to him and his Ridgeline. A few contractors tried them out here. And one of my coworkers bought one. Its not a truck. Its a Ute. The bed is so close to useless it isnt funny. The bed coating will be gone in very short order. If he throws a compressor or a like sized item in the bed and it happens to land on the bed storage lid. He will be mad.

My 4 banger Ranger will out work a Ridgeline something awful. I can haul pumps and stuff you cant even get in the Ridgeline. Not that it wont haul it. But we are back to the bed issue. lololololol

They ride and drive like a Accord. But function like a Pilot with no lid on it. I can not ride in the front passenger seat of a Ridgeline. With the seat all the way back my shins hit the lower dash tray. My Civic is more comfortable.

I had high hopes for the Ridgeline when the rumors started about Honda and a Truck. Then I saw drawings and pics. And had a really good laugh. Its so bad as a truck not even the Lowes and Home Depot crowd can use it. Might haul some peat or planters. Heck maybe even a vanity. But there isnt going to be any sheet rock or ply wood in 4' x 8' in there or much if any 8' sticks of lumber.

I can just see the Ridgeline with a 3 ton condensing unit, air handler, A-coil and furnace stacked up in the bed. OO and maybe a pleniom and ducting. It would look like something out of Dr. Suez.

Truth is Ive not met one person face to face that truly likes theres as a truck. Alot of net folks rave about them.

Hope it serves him well. :)

psy

omgwtfbyobbq 01-04-2007 07:15 PM

I'd go with any year from 80s-90s 1 ton toyota pickup with a newer 22R-E, 5 speed, converted to flat bed with tool boxes tucked underneath. The four speed in mine isn't too bad, and I've towed over 3k lbs in it at city speeds/hauled 1k+ lbs at highway speeds, but it's just too tall for getting really good mileage highway, and the engine shows it's age, although i suspect it's tuned to pass emissions, not for mileage.