Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Restricter plate (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/restricter-plate-3600.html)

brelandt 01-04-2007 03:12 PM

Restricter plate

Anyone every intall a restricter plate too see if mileage improved?

I was thinking of doing it if there was proof it worked. If it does would it be better to install the plate under the TB or before it?

AlexK 01-04-2007 04:07 PM

It seems to me that a restrictor plate would hurt mileage due to pumping losses. Am I missing something?

rh77 01-04-2007 04:11 PM

Tried it -- Failed for me

I tried restricting the intake on the Integra and it just took more throttle input and no appreciable gain:

Thread.

It could vary from vehicle to vehicle, but compared to old carbeurated vehicles of the past, the ECU will adjust accordingly. More importantly, intake temperture should be optimized.

RH77

Hockey4mnhs 01-04-2007 04:12 PM

If there isnt proof you should test it and tell us the end results.

brelandt 01-04-2007 04:53 PM

rh77....I just finished reading most of the 2 page thread on this subject. Of course I never noticed the thread to start with until I had already started this one.

However the old thread ended with no new/further results on the testing.

So you say you did do it then, correct?

GasSavers_Lincoln 01-04-2007 06:24 PM

Instead of a restrictor plate you could create some sort of throttle stop that would never allow you to go over 25% throttle.

I would think a restrictor plate would allow you to add more gas, but would restrict the air flow causing a rich condition. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

brelandt 01-04-2007 07:16 PM

A throttle stop would be the cheapest and easiest to apply.....however designing a bypass system for emergency/needed situation would require some further thought on my part.

Maybe placing a heavy spring on the floor that would normally keep you from pushing it down any further but will allow the pedal to go all the way to the floor when you press down harder????

rh77 01-04-2007 07:58 PM

Mostly Guidance

Quote:

Originally Posted by brelandt
rh77....I just finished reading most of the 2 page thread on this subject. Of course I never noticed the thread to start with until I had already started this one.

However the old thread ended with no new/further results on the testing.

So you say you did do it then, correct?

No big deal about not noting the thread -- I try to recall what I've tried over the last year or so and that was one failed attempt. It turns out that the thread turned out to contain less info than I remembered.

What I used to restrict the air was to plug the intake with a stopper-like device that had a small-diameter hole in the center. To get up to speed, maintain speed, or drive with load, required a considerable amount of throttle input and resulted in more fuel consumption. I don't have anything scientific or an A-B-A test, but it did free up power and consequently less throttle input. Scanguage values were used and showed that no gain was attained, and sluggish engine operation resulted.

I welcome another test for maximum scientific attainability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincoln
Instead of a restrictor plate you could create some sort of throttle stop that would never allow you to go over 25% throttle.

I would think a restrictor plate would allow you to add more gas, but would restrict the air flow causing a rich condition. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

I have implemented a 20% maximum-throttle-input cruise control apparatus that takes less attention while cruising on the highway. Whatever 20% throttle gives me, is what I'll take on the Interstate. Once up to speed, it may reach 70 downhill and slow to 55 uphill -- the result is the "Driving with Load" technique.

A spring-loaded throttle is a good idea -- one I've wanted to try.

RH77

red91sit 01-04-2007 08:46 PM

I have a restrictor of sorts on my car, it's in the form of an alluminum can in the exhaust (flattened with a hole in it) It's whisper silent, but really cuts down the power. I wild estimate is %50 percent less power. It has actually helped my gas mileage around town. I used to always floor it and come sliding around the corners (bad habit) With this in there, my exhuast no longer encourages me to rev it up to enjoy the sound. If it was a manual, DON"T DO IT, you can't proper pulse and glide with it. On the highway ( low load) it seems to get nearly the same gas mileage (judged by odometer/fuel gauge only)

AlexK 01-05-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

For most gas engines, lots of throttle at low RPMs is the most efficient. This is because of the pumping loss across the throttle restriction. Why would you want to limit your throttle stroke to 25%? I use 90% throttle all the time and my MPG has improved since I started doing it.