Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Crazy weather (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/crazy-weather-3603.html)

MetroMPG 01-05-2007 10:43 AM

Crazy weather

I just rode my bike to the bank and back. That in itself is pretty unusual for this time of year in Ontario (even for me).

But while out, I saw 2 things I have never seen before in January:

- a caterpillar crawling on a wall (I've never seen a live bug outside in January)

- small flowers blooming in a garden (3 months ahead of "normal")

GasSavers_TomO 01-05-2007 10:58 AM

the weather here in Minnesota is being a little weird as well. It was 39 degrees F yesterday. Normally we are in the teens or low 20s for a high around this time.

Hmm, Global Warming? ;)

CO ZX2 01-05-2007 11:03 AM

Come and get me. Today.

GasSavers_Jack 01-05-2007 11:14 AM

I live on a lake. Normally I have been ice fishing a few times but this time of year. This year no ice at all and expected to hit mid 60's tomorrow. Normally we are lucky to get to 35 in January.

Rstb88 01-05-2007 11:40 AM

Yay, finally a subject I know about. This abnormal weather (I'm in shorts in TN) is due in part by our global warming(we can't stop it, it can only progress so our efforts for less emissions is pointless unless you want to waste time.) and because the magnetic poles are due to switch places within the next couple thousand years. (Yes it is recorded that at one point in history our current North was actually south and visa versa) When they do eventually shift just about everything will die. Because we will loose our ozone instantaneously as well as our consistent gravity. If you don't die here it will either be in the vacuum of space or be ripped apart by the erratic gravity. Mind you this will span many many years before Earth comes back to a somewhat normal state. Have a great life knowing how the world will eventually come to terms. :)

Edit: Sorry for the flub erotic gravity will not kill you. Just seduce you.

kps 01-05-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rstb88
ripped apart by the erotic gravity.

And the Nobel Prize for Physics goes to... the Marquis de Sade!

Edit: Seriously, if you find a connection between electromagnetism and gravity, you will win a Nobel or three. And pole reversals are not associated with mass extinctions in the geological record (Homo erectus lived through one); if you want an 'all die' natural disaster to worry about, check out the Yellowstone Caldera.

rh77 01-05-2007 08:11 PM

El Nino and GW

Definitely wierd. I am a FIRM believer in global warming -- but what we're experiencing is a combination. Probably 25% Global Warming and 75% El Nino, which is completely screwing up our climate right now. I'm really concerned that the severe weather season is going to be terrible. The warm, moist air from the Pacific will feed into normally dry regions and mix with cool air from the North and wreak havoc -- look at Colorado and Eastern Kansas right now -- abnormally precipitous. NOAA has already issued Tornado warnings for the South in JANUARY. They just released a "Mesoscale" discussion for a snowstorm in the Cascades of Washington and Oregon plus a Tornado watch for South Carolina. I say: stay prepared and informed...

RH77

onegammyleg 01-05-2007 11:18 PM

So far this winter there has only been 2 days of snow in Helsinki Finland , with none on the ground at this moment.
It should have been inches deep for 1 1/2 months now.

GasSavers_nathan 01-06-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rstb88
and because the magnetic poles are due to switch places within the next couple thousand years. (Yes it is recorded that at one point in history our current North was actually south and visa versa)

I'd like to see some info on the poles being recorded as reversed at one point.
The only thing I've ever heard of about that was how the earths magnetic field is weakening. which is normal for magnets, over time they loose strength.
If you have any links id like to see them.

CoyoteX 01-06-2007 08:36 PM

The ocean floor has a pretty good record of the poles flipping. They can tell by the way the rock was formed at a fault line. I can't remember for sure but I think it averaged out to every 10k years it flipped. The flipping part isn't a big deal it is the random fluctuations that will happen for 1-50 years that will be annoying.

Been a while since I went over this stuff so my numbers are prob off a bit.

kickflipjr 01-06-2007 09:20 PM

Freakishly warm temps. I it has been 27 days straight above normal for pittsburgh.

I belive in global warming. I am not shure how much greenhouse gasses are contributing. This graph makes the future look grim.

https://whyfiles.org/218glo_warm/images/variations.jpg

Rstb88 01-07-2007 06:37 AM

Since i got my laptop I've lost all my stuff, cause I caught a virus and had to run system restore after it deleted a system file. Yes it is due every 10k years if I remember correctly so I think its right. I'll google some sights and get back for some links.

Rstb88 01-07-2007 06:43 AM

https://physicsweb.org/articles/news/3/1/14
https://www.guardian.co.uk/science/st...748510,00.html (< link says it happens every half a million years)
https://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99357.htm (, and of course a vague comment by our government saying not to worry about it you'll die before it happens. but proof non the less I say)

brelandt 01-07-2007 06:56 AM

getting people to believe in Global warming will be a VERY hard sell, at least in the past it has been.

Up into rescently Global Warming has been something that the Serria club invented to get their agenda pushed forward. We all know how crazy they are along with PETA, ACLU, Greenpeace, etc...

My mind was changed by watching "The Inconvient truth". However, If you want the rest of the states to buy into it you can NOT have Al Gore telling you about it. At least not down here in south Louisiana or anywhere else that's rural.

Infact my Landlord is HUGE into solar power EV cars and what not but refuses to watch the show because of Al Gore.

There needs to be somebody out there that 90% of America loves and will listen to.

Until that happens we are wasting our time telling our neighbors about saving gas. They are only doing to keep more money in their pockets and not to help save our planet.

Any ideas????

Rstb88 01-07-2007 07:44 AM

I would have to agree with some of those organizations going a little far but the ACLU...... thats a stretch to say they're radical. America doesn't love anybody, we're given too many choice to try and find any common ground. :{

JanGeo 01-07-2007 02:29 PM

My brother was saying today that the warming effect is due to global warming but another new discovery was that we are getting 25% less sun light warming due to high altitude jet exhost polution causing sunlight to be reflected back into space. "They" then realized means that we are Global Warming much faster by our burning of fuels by that 25% even with the lowered solar heating.

MetroMPG 01-07-2007 02:52 PM

Saw another "first" today: Canada geese flying NORTH in formation. That's nuts. They should be in the southern States or Mexico. Usually they're gone from here until March.

GasSavers_brick 01-07-2007 05:40 PM

It was 66F in beautiful CT yesterday, and I was outside in short sleeves installing the EV switch in the Prius. I have installed a lot of stuff in January and I'm usually miserable. Of course, the 10-day forecast calls for a bit more seasonable weather. On Wednesday. Then it's back into the 40s and 50s F, pushing 60F again next weekend.

It doesn't help my mood to have seen "An Inconvenient Truth" last night. Say what you want about Al Gore, any tiny lingering doubt about global warming has been driven from my mind.

Peakster 01-12-2007 03:21 PM

Ugh! It's absolutely freaking freezing here in Regina SK. It was -31*F at 8am this morning and with the wind added into the mix (windchill factor), the temperature felt like -54*F :eek: . The city cancelled school buses so classrooms were only half full, brand new cars wouldn't start, and I have a difficult time choosing whether let my feet freeze, or to let the window get all frosted up in the Geo. The poor heater couldn't keep up to both :( . Warm air intake? WHAT warm air intake?!

MetroMPG 01-12-2007 03:26 PM

Yeah, I read about that in the news. It was above freezing again here today, but colder weather's coming.

Out of curiosity, I looked up weather stats for this part of the province, the statistically coldest time of the year is the 3rd week of January. Which is... next week.

I always observe the winter solstice - I like that the days are getting longer again. And I can now celebrate the passing of the 3rd week of January - temps getting warmer again (statistically)!

GasSavers_TomO 01-12-2007 04:36 PM

The temps fell down below 10*F today, so we're finally showing seasonally correct weather in the Twin Cites, MN. 10-20 mile per hour winds all day as well as some freezing drizzle. And that of course produces the usual accidents.

repete86 01-12-2007 05:54 PM

I'm observing the opposite. It's freezing out! It must have gone as low as 68 last night! I don't know about global warming, but this global cooling is terrible!

Silveredwings 01-12-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86 (Post 37737)
I'm observing the opposite. It's freezing out! It must have gone as low as 68 last night! I don't know about global warming, but this global cooling is terrible!

I haven't heard that kind of whining since I was in California :D

omgwtfbyobbq 01-15-2007 11:34 AM

It's f'ing cold. Stupid PVC pipes busted, leaving a nice icey sheet on the driveway, so yesterday sucked. I really want to pull the diesel out of my beater Rabbit, but it's outside and I have a feeling draining a fuel tank in 40+ degree weather with ~15mph winds isn't a bright idea.

rh77 01-15-2007 02:44 PM

Trip Cancelled

After the 3 waves of back-to-back ice storms, KC is recovering. It looks like about 3" of snow out, but it's hard as a rock (same with some roads). Schools are cancelled today and will be tomorrow as well.

San Antonio was my destination today for work, but they're even expecting ice! I was warned to stay away as the airport there only has one de-icing truck -- I can only imagine the road treatment (or lack thereof). I rarely cancel trips. Meanwhile, flights out of our own airport have been cancelled over and over the last 4 days. They didn't predict it, but we ended up getting snow on top of it all this morning.

Further South, parts of Missouri and Oklahoma are (still) without power.

It's been quite the weather system. And yes, FE sucks: "Pulse and Slide" doesn't work very well.

RH77

The Toecutter 01-15-2007 05:13 PM

My power was out for the past three days.

MetroMPG 01-15-2007 05:28 PM

Yeah, winter finally arrived here today. 15cm/6 in of snow. Finally had to start up the Blackfly instead of riding the beater bike.