Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   GM brings back 1.0L ICE! - in the Volt plug-in series hybrid :) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/gm-brings-back-1-0l-ice-in-the-volt-plug-in-series-hybrid-3611.html)

repete86 01-08-2007 05:29 PM

I'll believe it when I see it driving down the street. For now, it's probably just another GM gimmick to try to convince us that they care about more than their profits.

GasSavers_Ryland 01-08-2007 06:10 PM

I really wonder how effcient that gas engine is, I meen if you have an engine that is going to run at a single speed, you can design the whole thing to run more efficently, you can tune the air intake to that exact engine speed, you can do away with the butterfly in the throttle body and run it "wide open" by having the throttle body the exact size you need it to run at 1,800rpm, tune your exaust for that same engine speed, your power band would be extreamly narrow, you might even have to have the generator act as an electric motor to get the gas engine up to it's full speed, because it might not run correctly at lower or higher speeds, but at that set speed, in theory you could make it run above the 23% effeticy that SAE clames a gas engine in a car can be, oh yeah, then add the turbo for more effecitcy, I rather like this idea, of course that might just be because it's very simaler to my electric bicycle idea, small gas engine running an alternator, with a lith-ion battery buffer that is good for a few miles, and a wheel hub motor... with luck after a few more pay checks I'll start buying parts.

omgwtfbyobbq 01-08-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86
Stop dreaming. This is Gm we're talking about. There's a reason for the specs seeming to be amazing and the public only having a drawing of it. It's just PR bull**** to try to attract people back to GM after a 12% drop in GM sales this year.

It really depends. GM is very profit driven, so in the case of Daewoo, instead of developing their own small car, with the risks and cost, they pulled the rug out under an established car maker, and used the threat of a long legal battle to work out a deal that was good for them, while still being o.k. for Daewoo, even though Daewoo probably would've had it better with their own operation in America. In the past they had bought small cars from other companies like Toyota (Prizm=Corolla) to boost fleet reliability/FE ratings, but it was expensive, and the Daewoo move was a coup of sorts. I think the same applies to hybrids. Let Toyota pave the way, and introduce their own version when there's minimal risk and assured demand. The confidential agreement probably has provisions that make this a relatively risk free deal for GM. They are after all, the most profit driven, so if they can carve out an assured 25-50% of the small car hybrid market, I don't think they would pass that up.

Silveredwings 01-08-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
...it's very simaler to my electric bicycle idea, small gas engine running an alternator, with a lith-ion battery buffer that is good for a few miles, and a wheel hub motor... with luck after a few more pay checks I'll start buying parts.

So not only did they 'borrow' your idea, but I think they've been using that very same kind of fiscal management. :D

Silveredwings 01-08-2007 06:44 PM

I was watching some of the theatrical antics with the Hollywood stars. My favorite spur of the moment line is when Jimmy Kimmel was talking to Cheryl Hines about when she was 15 and learning to drive. Mentioning the the guy who taught her to drive, she said "he had this little Triumph..." Jimmy chimed in and said "I bet he did." :D

GasSavers_Ryland 01-08-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings
So not only did they 'borrow' your idea, but I think they've been using that very same kind of fiscal management. :D

Hey! it was an option of either buying a 33cc micro 4 stroke honda gas engine, or joining the rest of the people in the 21st century who have electronics with lithum batterys (cell phones, lap tops, digital cameras) so I bought a cordless drill, my fiscal management is much better then GM's.

Silveredwings 01-08-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
Hey! it was an option of either buying a 33cc micro 4 stroke honda gas engine, or joining the rest of the people in the 21st century who have electronics with lithum batterys (cell phones, lap tops, digital cameras) so I bought a cordless drill, my fiscal management is much better then GM's.

Yes, I'm with you on that. Just so you know, the joke is about them.

MetroMPG 01-09-2007 05:32 AM

Volt in suburbia...

https://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5&q=chevy+volt

Sounds like it has a forklift motor (maybe that's why they won't amp it up in the video) ;)

GasSavers_Bruce 01-09-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Without Altair Nanotechnologies sort of cycle life figures, Li Ion wouldn't be very suitable for a PHEV with low all-electric range. 40 miles range * 500 cycles to 100% = 20,000 miles life. You'd really need 150+ miles range for reasonable battery life to be had on today's 18650s; with range like that, your average discharge would be lower and thus higher cycle life.

The life expectancy issue is probably why Toyota is still using NiMH for its hybrids. Li Ion is currently best suited for long range pure EVs or PHEVs with a long all-electric range.

Not to mention that Li-Ion only lasts a couple of years from the date of manufacture, at least in my experience.

JanGeo 01-09-2007 07:06 AM

WOW did they have any more gears to get going any faster?? What that must have been 10 mph top speed? I was surprised that it was able to back up the driveway.