Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   W9 Configuration engine (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/w9-configuration-engine-3677.html)

GasSavers_DaX 01-16-2007 12:34 PM

W9 Configuration engine

Insane, but incredible! AND it runs on E85 :D

https://www.atomracing.se/6M.html

thisisntjared 01-16-2007 04:49 PM

thats pretty sweet! i wonder what the power would be with c16...

Lug_Nut 01-17-2007 11:36 AM

Ummmm.. why?
A three cylinder (or multiples thereof) four stroke, engine has inherent smoothness that is difficult to match, so why not a 60 degree V6 of three liters displacement?
There'd be one less head and accompaning parasitic losses from cams and chains. One less set of manifolds to seal, one less head gasket.
Pairing the con-rods in a V6 allows for better thrust bearing load adjustment than sandwiching a third big end on a common journal with two others in a W9.
Narrowing the V angle and using an offset in the crank journals would make the packaging even more compact AND would allow cost saving in manufacturing by permitting the machining of one head, one exhaust manifold, one intake.
And a W3 already exists as an aftermarket motorcycle 50% change (not improvement) from the Harley-Davidson V-twin.
As an artistic endevour it is pretty. As a practical device, I feel it is a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

GasSavers_TomO 01-17-2007 11:48 AM

It's like three metros slammed, hood first, into each other at the same time and this is what was left when the bodies were pulled apart, lol.

I agree with Lug Nut:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
As an artistic endevour it is pretty. As a practical device, I feel it is a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

Lug_Nut 01-17-2007 12:00 PM

Wait a minute! What the hello is the firing order?
A four stroke engine makes two complete crank revolutions to fire each cylinder once. Two rotations is 720 degrees. There are nine cylinders. 720/9 means one cylinder would have to fire each 80 degrees for an even impulse.
Yet the engine is based on 120 degree offset in the crank throw AND 120 degrees in the outer V angle.

Lug_Nut 01-17-2007 12:19 PM

Oh, my head! I can't let this one go!
I've figured out a firing order and it ain't pretty at all.
Crank at zero degrees. Number 1, 4 and 7 in left bank. Number 1 at TDC and fires.
rotate crank 120 degrees and fire #3.
rotate 60 degrees and fire #5.
rotate 60 degrees and fire #6.
rotate 120 degrees and fire #9.
rotate 60 degrees and fire #2.
rotate 60 degrees and fire #4.
rotate 120 degrees and fire #7.
rotate 60 degrees and fire #8.
rotate 60 and return to fire #1.
Aw hell, just take a V12 and pull every fourth spark plug wire.

The Toecutter 01-17-2007 09:25 PM

I'd love to slip an engine like this into a Lotus Elise.

GasSavers_DaX 01-18-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter (Post 38149)
I'd love to slip an engine like this into a Lotus Elise.

I was thinking Ariel Atom. :D

526 HP for a 1071 lb curb weight...mmmmm

The Toecutter 01-18-2007 02:46 PM

With enough traction, that would be about an 8 second 1/4 mile at over 160 mph...

And gas mileage would still probably be pretty good, especially if a lightweight aerodynamic fairing is added.

thisisntjared 01-19-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 38094)
Ummmm.. why?

i think the bottom line there is weight and revvability. that and the block is designed to be a structural part of the frame. it is supposed to be like a motorcycle engine right? so it has to weigh less than my civic engine and rev to over 10krpm. i mean think about it. how much do any of our long blocks weigh?? engine alone the power coming from such a small size and weight is remarkable. i mean 17.1in long x 24.5in wide x 17.6in tall. that would fit under my hood without any issues. and it weighs around the same as my motor? thats rediculous!!! also i dont know of any naturally aspirated 3.0 liter v6s with a 12.7 or lower compression ratio that make over 350hp.