Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Do gals not want to save gas? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/do-gals-not-want-to-save-gas-3689.html)

zpiloto 01-18-2007 02:38 PM

Do gals not want to save gas?

I was looking at the Frappr and it was all guy and no gals. Are there any gals registered here as GS? No I'm not stalking.:p

SVOboy 01-18-2007 03:11 PM

Jenny!

I don't know, I feel a deep gender bias in the room *eerienoises*

MetroMPG 01-18-2007 03:44 PM

I've wondered about the paucity of femaleness too. I don't know the answer, but here's some more evidence:
  • There is exactly one (1) woman who posts occasionally on the EV discussion list.
  • I think CleanMPG has a few more females registered, but only one regular participant that I'm aware of.

Silveredwings 01-18-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Do gals not want to save gas?
I think they do but may be more inclined to wait for a turnkey solution as opposed to doing what many regulars here do. :confused:

Ted Hart 01-19-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 38194)
I think they do but may be more inclined to wait for a turnkey solution as opposed doing to what many regulars here do. :confused:

Ah! The proverbial "turnkey solution"! MPG and "turnkey" don't get along (barring kryptonite!) :D

jwxr7 01-19-2007 06:07 AM

Yeah, my wife refuses to drive a stick and won't slow down on the highway to save gas (not that that she speeds or anything). Those are two big things that could save gas. Generally she would rather have comfort and convenience than conservation and that is seen around the house too. It seems like we cancel each other out; I get 50 + mpg with my car, she gets 22-23 with her 98 taurus 24v v6. I try to conserve power and fuel around the house and she burns that much more:rolleyes: . At least she will feed the wood stove when I'm at work to save some fuel in the winter :thumbup:
I still love her :D

jwxr7 01-19-2007 06:18 AM

We've talked about the next car we should get her. Of course no stick shifts always comes up. The Prius might be a good choice for her. That would be the best mpg auto trans car I know of.

GasSavers_DaX 01-19-2007 06:55 AM

I think it comes down to the absence of women wrenching in general. Let's face it - Honda-Tech is a sausage fest too.

My wife OCCASIONALLY tries to employ some FE conscious driving techniques she picked up from me. At least she comes to me excited when she gets over 400 miles per tank.

GasSavers_Jack 01-19-2007 09:47 AM

Let see.... My wife drives a 2005 Honda Pilot. Still jackrabbit starts off at green lights. Still has here foot on the gas until the last second before she needs to brake for turns or lights. Has no problem letting the car idle with the defroster running on max instead of scraping. But when it comes to taking the kids somewhere or having to go get something she becomes VERY fuel conscious and tells me to go because I get better gas mileage. But as stated before I still lover her too.

SVOboy 01-19-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 38221)
Women view the gas and brake pedals as on/off switches. Someone already said it, they are all about comfort and convenience. Besides actually thinking about driving might cut into their cell phone conversations.

I would hate to see an earnest question turn into a chauvinism competition. Did we forget that men are, by far, the more dangerous drivers?

SVOboy 01-19-2007 11:11 AM

Perhaps you live in an area dominated by living stereotypes, because my personal experience suggests that sweeping comments about any group of people are almost always wrong.

GasSavers_brick 01-19-2007 11:23 AM

There are several women at CleanMPG who have contributed some really fantastic content and fuel economy numbers. My girlfriend has also proven to be very capable, and has changed her driving style significantly since I first met her. The first time she ever drove me anywhere we got busted for 85 in a 65, and had been doing triple digits only a mile or so before. The whole time I was like "WTF have I gotten myself into?" It took two more tickets for her to get the hint, and she started to slow down a little. But she was still doing 75-80. Not long thereafter I caught the FE bug and changed my own habits, (I had been a 70-75 highway driver with what I now consider to be a fairly heavy foot.) She has sorta picked up on what I do and employs the basic stuff very effectively. The trick was to get her to try it and see the numbers for herself for the first time. Since then she's topped 120% of EPA highway at times, although she still struggles a bit in town. I expect her next car purchase to be driven heavily by fuel economy, as she drives more than just about anyone I know.

So the answer is yes, there are gals who want to save gas. I think the real issue here is that gearheadedness tends to be a predominantly male trait, and that's a significant factor in driving many of us to make it into a genuine hobby.

Think about the number of men running up our tail pipes, passing aggressively just because they can, and generally driving like angry monkeys. I would argue that, if anything, women have less baggage ("Yeah, it's got a Hemi!") that would prevent them from driving throughfully rather than driving to be "top dog."

GasSavers_Jack 01-19-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 38222)
I would hate to see an earnest question turn into a chauvinism competition. Did we forget that men are, by far, the more dangerous drivers?

From experience I would say that for drivers under about 25 males are far more dangerous driving. After about 25 I think that the stupidity evens out.

Now this is just an observation but it seems that female drivers do more distracting things like talking on the phone, checking and putting on make up and those kind of things.

But if you google it you get:

https://ink.news.com.au/mercury/mathg...5/950912a1.htm

MALE drivers cause twice as many
accidents as female drivers, a
survey has found.

https://www.insurance.com/Article.asp...omen/artid/259

Figures compiled by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) show that more men than women die each year in motor vehicle crashes

so who know.....

cfg83 01-19-2007 12:18 PM

Hello -

My wife won't drive stick (bum left knee) but she has "seen the light" over the years and now drives a stock Honda Civic Coupe EX. From what I can tell, even with an auto, she can get equal or better highway MPG with her 1.5L Honda engine than I can with my evolving 1.9L Saturn. She has always driven conservatively, so she can get as good MPG as she wants to. I think I am getting better total MPG, but that is probably because of my huge percentage of freeway driving.

I love her for many reasons, not to mention that she is *very* tolerant of my MPG gimmicks ;) .

And yes, MPG is not a big female concern.

CarloSW2

Peakster 01-19-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 38187)
Are there any gals registered here as GS?

Perhaps women feel reluctant to joining an organization that already has a domineering male atmospheric arena. I was the only guy in my ceramics class 2 semesters ago and I preferred skipping the class and doing my clay work in the evening just because I felt so out-numbered.

If any females are reading this, don't be afraid to join! I'll keep the other guys in line :D .

SVOboy 01-19-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

https://www.smartmotorist.com/tai/tai.htm

here's a survey that would seem to support the notion of female tailgaters; perhaps my perception of them being the dominant offenders is heightened by the overwhelming proportion of suvs in the local traffic mix.

it seems odd that the guys cause so many more accidents but that seems to be the case.

anyway, back to the original point and my comment that got 'boy's ire, i just don't see women in general engaging in FE enhancing behavior, be it driving for FE, maintaining for FE ie. keeping air in the tires, choosing an FE vehicle, or even thinking about FE at all. In fairness, most men don't either but of that small slice of people that acknowledge FE as something worthwhile it does seem to be almost all guys.
Until you conduct a realiable survey of all women, don't make bigoted generalizations.

This is what the UK says:
https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...030414-03.hcsp

And here is something saying most small car drivers are women: https://magpie.lboro.ac.uk/dspace/bit...9/1/PUB191.pdf

Peakster 01-19-2007 01:26 PM

Sorry. I just had my Women Studies course at 9:30am and the class watched a film about women running for parliement. Granted it was about the 1997 election in Canada (already a decade old) but a commenter in the film suggested that the reason why only 21% of parliement members are female is because of the stigma that it is still a mainly male dominated atmospheric arena.

I highly encourage females to join this organization. However I can empathize that some women may be intimidated of being the 'first one' to do it.

SVOboy 01-19-2007 01:45 PM

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you, I misclicked the quote thingy. I agree with you, though.

GasSavers_James 01-19-2007 02:06 PM

My wife is not as into the FE thing as I am, but she digs it. i dont think we will see her logging into gassavers any time soon. We have totally different FE approaches. She has no problem bumbling along at 30 MPH in neutral over the top of a hill on a 50 MPH road, with someone behind her. She loves the coasting thing so much, it even makes me uneasy coasting so slow for such a long time. She goes really slow unless the road is really big and then she goes a little faster. Part of this is that she hadnt owned a car for 10 years previously.
sometimes women scare me with their manouvers, and when they are surprised when the wheels slip on ice/gravel etc, not understanding the difference between a rear wheel drive or front wheel drive, etc. But I have seen some really agressive males go too fast and flip over too. Guys seem to have a monopoly on the anger/driving thing. Most women just expect the car to work in all situations safely, and i guess it is up to us guys to put in new brake pads, inflate the tires etc.
-James

Silveredwings 01-19-2007 05:31 PM

It's ALWAYS bad to generalize!! :D

GasSavers_TomO 01-19-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 38256)
It's ALWAYS bad to generalize!! :D

Generally, it's always bad to generalize...generally speaking that is. ;)

My personal experience on this subject:

My wife thinks I'm goofy for the things I do to my car, but doesn't care as long as I don't spend hardly anything doing it. She tried once to figure out the FE of her car but gave up after one tank. Her 2000 Mazda Protege LX gets about 26 MPG the way she drives it and she's ok with that. She gets a little annoyed when I remind her that my car gets double the mileage hers does. :cool:

lovemysan 01-19-2007 07:35 PM

My wife cooks, cleans, cuddles, keeps the gaslog for me and has started eoc'ing. Its been a long haul though. It only took 6 years to teach how to drive a stick.

And yes I love her, I don't think another woman like exist.

SVOboy 01-19-2007 08:54 PM

I might as well add my personal bit to this:

My first girlfriend was so taken with my addiction to FE that she made her parents get an HCHII when she started driving, even though her family almost exclusively drives <20mpg vehicles (2006 viper, H2, bmw 750lxi [or whatever the most expensive kind is]).