Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Peakster's Geo Thread (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/peaksters-geo-thread-3707.html)

Bill in Houston 04-02-2007 11:28 AM

Very shmoooooth.

kickflipjr 04-02-2007 07:41 PM

I waited until winter was over to remove my passenger side mirror. With the snow and frost I need all the visibility possible, but in the spring/summer/fall I don't need as much.

Peakster 04-02-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 45947)
I waited until winter was over to remove my passenger side mirror. With the snow and frost I need all the visibility possible, but in the spring/summer/fall I don't need as much.

Yeah, that was definitely my thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UfoTofU (Post 45871)
I'm liking the mirror deletes. I plan to do the same on my CRX but State law requires me to keep my driver's side mirror.

Just to spite the system, I'd replace your driver side mirror with a 2 inch circular diverging mirror :p. "Look officer, I DO have a driver side mirror".

MetroMPG 04-03-2007 05:34 AM

Nice work, Peakster.

With the delete of my pass. mirror, and folding in the driver's side for highway use, the only thing I don't like is sometimes I check to see what's (far) behind me on a curve, which I used to be able to do with my side mirrors. But that's about it.

rh77 04-03-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm liking the mirror deletes. I plan to do the same on my CRX but State law requires me to keep my driver's side mirror.

One word:

Velcro.

RH77

zpiloto 04-03-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Look on page 20.

I thought that mirrors were required in my state also but unless you're towing the minimum requirement is rear view mirror. If your comfortable driving without the side mirrors go for it. Remember Safety first. YMMV

Peakster 04-21-2007 04:51 PM

I'm apparently lucky to be alive...

4 Attachment(s)
I was driving back home from university this evening when suddenly my car veered to the the ditch. Desperately trying to steer left I somehow made it to the road again. I stopped and looked at my front tires...

Funny, I thought. My tires aren't blown and the tie rods aren't pooched. What's going on?

I got back into my car and started driving again, but immediately noticed I had NO STEERING! I could litterally give the steering wheel a good spin and it would make about 5 revolutions before settling to a stop.

Attachment 398

Anyways, I flagged down a driver to use his cell phone and called my dad. My dad inspected the car from the road and realized the connection from the steering wheel to the tie rods was broken :eek:! He said that he's NEVER seen that happen to a car in his entire life and said I was lucky that it didn't happen in the parking lot, on the freeway, or pretty much anywhere other than where I was at that point in time (at least with a broken tie rod, usually one tire can be still be steered. In my situation, the tires were completely free to go wherever they wanted).

So looks like I'll be driving the Intrepid again until the Geo is fixed:

Attachment 401

rh77 04-21-2007 07:29 PM

Good Grief!

Good Grief, are you OK? Having a coupling break is VERY rare, indeed. Man, good thing you weren't at high speeds...

Wasn't the steering system just inspected by a mechanic???

Metro- Is this a problem other Suzi-Clones have experienced?

Sorry to hear, Peakster. I hope it gets repaired in short order, and cheaply.

-RH77

Peakster 04-21-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 48527)
Good Grief, are you OK? Having a coupling break is VERY rare, indeed. Man, good thing you weren't at high speeds...

Wasn't the steering system just inspected by a mechanic???

I don't think the steering system was checked at any time of owning the Geo. The only times it's been to the shop were when I had an oil leak some time ago and when I had worn out wheel bearings a few weeks back.

As for myself. I'm fine. I didn't even know how bad the situation was until someone else pointed it out to me. It's a good thing that it was only a ditch though. Could've been a pole, curb, building, pedestiran, etc. Imagine telling that one to my insurer (not to mention having a crunched up car).

trebuchet03 04-21-2007 07:44 PM

Holy Crap! I've only heard of that happening once - and that was a manual steering box (splines stripped out somehow).

You sir... are very lucky indeed.