Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Canada's "green" Liberal leader drives a ... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/canadas-green-liberal-leader-drives-a-3709.html)

MetroMPG 01-22-2007 06:01 PM

Canada's "green" Liberal leader drives a ...

Subaru Forester.

Quote:

The 50-year-old married father of one reports the family has one car, a Subaru Forester. He regularly rides the bus and Montreal Metro. - source
That's not too bad - he apparently enjoys skiing, and if you've got to have 4wd (as many do in snowy Montreal who travel north into ski country), there are much worse choices one could make.

It doesn't say what year it is, or whether it's an auto or 5-speed, but NRCAN rates the 5 speed at 10.7 / 7.5 L/100 km city/hwy (26/38 mpg Imperial / 22/32 mpg US).

My local Conservative MP (married, one child) drives a Ford Excursion. :(

I think it would be useful to know what all candidates' vehicle choices are.

Peakster 01-22-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 38484)
My local Conservative MP (married, one child) drives a Ford Excursion. :(

Laugh out loud!

I should make a point to see what my MP (Ralph Goodale) drives.

MetroMPG 01-22-2007 08:06 PM

You should. Send him an e-mail.

Peakster 01-22-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 38493)
You should. Send him an e-mail.

And here I thought I was going to have to stalk him! :eek: . E-mail: "Hello mister Goodale. As a person that drives an economy car to help decease my dependance on fossil fuels, I was wondering what model vehicle you use as a daily driver." Sounds kinda corny to me. Any suggestions as to what I should write, without seeming like a vandalist looking to victimize Ralph? :p

MetroMPG 01-22-2007 08:31 PM

Actually, I was in the middle of writing to Dion basically what you just wrote, when I thought to Google it.

EDIT: I'd just make sure you let him know you're in his riding. (Can't necessarily tell from the Internet...)

Peakster 01-22-2007 09:12 PM

The E-mail I sent:

Quote:

Hello Ralph Goodale,

I'm a university student who lives in your riding here in Regina (Gardner Park) and I'm proud to say that I've acted proactively to decreasing my dependence on fossil fuels. This past August, I sold my '91 Thunderbird for a '97 Geo metro with a manual transmission. I am also pleased to announce that I've accomplished an average of 55.6 miles per imperial Gallon since the purchase and joined an online fuel saving organisation: www.gassavers.org

There is no doubt that gasoline prices affect you no less that any other driver. It's interesting to point out that Liberal Leader Stephan Dion drives a miserly Subaru (source: https://stephanedion.ca/?q=en/Stephan...060724Charming) although year, engine, and transmission are unknown to me. I am curious as to what model vehicle you use for a daily driver.

Thank you for your consideration,
- My Name
You know I just had to sneak the gassavers website on the e-mail :D . Now we shall wait and see.

Edit: Oh crap! I spelled Stephane wrong! I tried so hard to have decent grammar!

Silveredwings 01-23-2007 12:31 PM

It's a curious question. Here's a quote from one article: Survey of influential locals finds various reasons ? some green, some not ? for car choices
Quote:

Prindle also cautions about giving a free pass to elected officials who drive hybrids.

Just because a politician climbs into a Prius doesn't mean he or she is a champion of the environment, he said. It could be for show.

Taking unpopular action to beat back oil dependency counts more, Prindle said, adding, ?We need visionary leadership.?

MetroMPG 01-23-2007 01:54 PM

"It could be for show"

True. If I were doing such an article, I'd be asking the apparent efficiency aficionados how LONG they've owned it, and what their previous vehicle was.

Found a really interesting link - "The Detriot Project - Americans for fuel efficient cars" - in that article. Starting another thread...

MetroMPG 01-23-2007 01:55 PM

Then again... whether or not it's for show, does it really matter what gets people into more efficient cars that still serve their needs?

Mike T 01-27-2007 11:07 AM

Larry Campbell, former mayor of Vancouver BC and now a CDN Senator drove a smart fortwo with sunroof. He even dropped by one of our smart club events in April 2005. I'm not sure what he's driving in Ottawa.

Alan Lowe, the mayor of Victoria BC, drives a black fortwo as well. He also joined us in one club event last year.