Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   need info on Geo metro (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/need-info-on-geo-metro-3717.html)

95_corolla 01-23-2007 05:51 PM

Question: info please on parts and service

I am thinking of buying 1990 Geo metro do any of you metro owner have trouble getting parts and where do you go for maintenance or parts....
Chevy dealer ship, local mechanic or junk yard.

95_corolla 01-23-2007 10:13 PM

need info on Geo metro

I am thinking of buying 1990 Geo metro do any of you metro owners have trouble getting parts and where do you go for maintenance or parts....
Chevy dealer ship, local mechanic or junk yard.

Gary Palmer 01-24-2007 08:32 AM

I can't answer your question directly, because I have a 89 Honda Civic. However, their are a number of people on here who are driving Geo's and they seem to be very happy with them and they seem to not have to much difficulty with getting new or used parts.

I don't know what your experience is going to be, but from what I've seen, it seems to me like the Geo get's hammered pretty hard on mileage, if it's driven at speeds over about 55 or so. Driving in the LA area, it is pretty hazardous to be driving anything less than 75 and if you want to try to keep out of the way of people driving aggressively, you need to be able to do 85, without breathing to hard.

As far as your post goes, I think you may not have gotten much response because the header doesn't specify what vehicle and your login entry makes it appear that you have a toyota corolla, not that your looking for information on the Geo.

Gary Palmer 01-24-2007 08:35 AM

Whoops! Well, so much for the repost idea. I believe that MetroMPG has a web site which is devoted soley to Geo's. You might try to locate it and post your question over their?

MetroMPG 01-24-2007 12:43 PM

clencher's right. The cars are easy to get parts for. They sold millions of these things. So, pick 'n' pull your own used stuff, spend the bucks at the dealer, or get them from an auto parts store.

I do all my own maintenance, but you can get it done anywhere you like, if you're not so inclined. (I'd be more likely to find a good neighbourhood mechanic than go to the dealer though.)

95_corolla 01-24-2007 04:38 PM

thanks for the info and help

I am going to try and pick one up if I can find one in good shape and at a good price.

omgwtfbyobbq 01-24-2007 04:58 PM

FWIW, the pick-a-part in San Bernardino (take the 10 to Milliken and hang a left) has a lot of cars. And, even though I don't recall seeing any, probably a few Metros... There's a high turn over too. :thumbup:

bzipitidoo 01-28-2007 08:26 PM

Don't be too sure about junkyards. They eventually send junked cars to the crusher. Except for classics, they won't keep cars that are older than about 15 years. One junkyard owner moaned about how the Pacer enjoyed a sudden surge in popularity-- after he'd had all his Pacers crushed I know of only a handful of junkyards where I can get parts for my '90 Festiva, and only one where I can get parts for my '83 Celica. You should call nearby junkyards and just ask if they have any early 90s Geo Metros, and if yes, for how much longer?

MetroMPG 01-29-2007 05:29 AM

Another option is to find someone with a "collection" of dead cars in their yard (or even just one) and ask if you can buy parts from it. I did this for a couple of years from a guy with a dead Accord in his back yard.

Silveredwings 01-29-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzipitidoo (Post 39032)
Don't be too sure about junkyards. They eventually send junked cars to the crusher. Except for classics, they won't keep cars that are older than about 15 years. One junkyard owner moaned about how the Pacer enjoyed a sudden surge in popularity-- after he'd had all his Pacers crushed I know of only a handful of junkyards where I can get parts for my '90 Festiva, and only one where I can get parts for my '83 Celica. You should call nearby junkyards and just ask if they have any early 90s Geo Metros, and if yes, for how much longer?

Speaking of a return to popularity, I had an '83 celica until it was stolen in '92 to be cannibalized for low-rider parts.