Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Just another Honda nerd (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/just-another-honda-nerd-3777.html)

white90crxhf 01-29-2007 06:29 PM

Just another Honda nerd

i suppose i should introduce myself since i've been posting for a while... i am husband/dad(just one, right now)/civil engineering major(minor in mechanical) at night/honda nerd. i've always like the idea of getting better gas mileage, i guess i was lucky and only asked for manual crx & got an hf :).

i've had my crx for 10 years, it is my first car and i plan on driving daily it at least another 100,400 miles(currently 299.6k). I currently have an SI transmission, i plan on switching to a dx/hf 5th in febuary, and see if i can get my mpg back up to 50, if not i'll replace all the bearings on the hf tranny and put it back in. i would like to add a belly pan and grill block. i don't plan on removing the d15b6 until i dies, then i may opt for one of those fancy engines with obdII.

I also own an accord that the wife drives, gets pretty good gas mileage considering it has a beast of an engine(compared to my 64hp).

pyramid_head 01-29-2007 07:32 PM

Hey... i have an 88 crx si that i'm scrapping right now. I bought it for $500, everything, but the engine (so it's not running). i'm trying to make it as light as possible, put in a d15z1 + p07 + hf transmission. it should equal to massive fuel economy :p. right now i'm debating if i should put in some light-weight lexan windows (many people are telling me it's not worth it, but every little bit counts), carbon fiber hood /hatch /fenders /light-weight rims.... well, it's still a mess.

Good luck with your gas-sipping crx. maybe i can extract some info from you since you know so much about Hondas :p

white90crxhf 01-29-2007 08:09 PM

are the lexan windows legal? i know a little about d-series transmission which could probably be applied to most of their transmissions(assuming they go together similar).

pyramid_head 01-30-2007 06:57 PM

Street legal? lol... no. they're only used for drag racing.

red91sit 02-09-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white90crxhf (Post 39127)
i suppose i should introduce myself since i've been posting for a while... i am husband/dad(just one, right now)/civil engineering major(minor in mechanical) at night/honda nerd. i've always like the idea of getting better gas mileage, i guess i was lucky and only asked for manual crx & got an hf :).

i've had my crx for 10 years, it is my first car and i plan on driving daily it at least another 100,400 miles(currently 299.6k). I currently have an SI transmission, i plan on switching to a dx/hf 5th in febuary, and see if i can get my mpg back up to 50, if not i'll replace all the bearings on the hf tranny and put it back in. i would like to add a belly pan and grill block. i don't plan on removing the d15b6 until i dies, then i may opt for one of those fancy engines with obdII.

I also own an accord that the wife drives, gets pretty good gas mileage considering it has a beast of an engine(compared to my 64hp).

ISTHA why on earth would you want to do that? I've never heard anything but horror stories when people try to put their OBD-II comptuers in other cars. It's all about the OBD-1 in my opinion.

white90crxhf 02-09-2007 04:33 PM

i figure a newer engine will be a better engine, though i am probably wrong. i would research it before i actually did it.

I was just hoping by the time my engine dies there will be another honda engine capable of good gas mileage that will fit in my car that is somewhat new. i'd rather not replace a 30 year old engine with another 30 year old engine. :)

red91sit 02-10-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white90crxhf (Post 40276)
i figure a newer engine will be a better engine, though i am probably wrong. i would research it before i actually did it.

I was just hoping by the time my engine dies there will be another honda engine capable of good gas mileage that will fit in my car that is somewhat new. i'd rather not replace a 30 year old engine with another 30 year old engine. :)

Oh that is a good point, but I would just convert it to OBD-1 or K-Pro, (K series are the awesoem)

white90crxhf 02-10-2007 05:13 PM

that may be an option.

i wish i did had a car from the 60's to work on.

koffin 02-10-2007 08:50 PM

I swapped in a '00 H22A4(OBDII) engine into my '93 Accord wagon(OBD1).
It is pretty simple. For the most part, you just need OBD1 injectors, distributor, chipped ECU and you're set.

Welcome to the forum.