Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Metros vs. Yarii gaslog comparo: -4.2% below & +5.1% above EPA respectively (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/metros-vs-yarii-gaslog-comparo-4-2-below-and-5-1-above-epa-respectively-3819.html)

MetroMPG 02-07-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 40056)
Darin what's the CdA of the metro is it about .33 or so?

Yeah, 33 ish. Though I've never seen a credible source for that info.

Quote:

I wonder it the test on the dyno for epa are really precise
Apparently the rate of acceleration is controlled in their tests - it's timed to reach, say 50 mph at the same time, regardless of car.

Good thought to check on the "cold" vs "hot" states. And you're absolutely right - there's nothing scientific about this. Collecting this info is only really good for "things that make you go hmmmm....".

cfg83 02-07-2007 02:19 PM

MetroMPG -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 40066)
Yeah, 33 ish. Though I've never seen a credible source for that info.

Apparently the rate of acceleration is controlled in their tests - it's timed to reach, say 50 mph at the same time, regardless of car.

Good thought to check on the "cold" vs "hot" states. And you're absolutely right - there's nothing scientific about this. Collecting this info is only really good for "things that make you go hmmmm....".

It would be really neat if there was a tape of a complete test of "vehicle X". That way, we could rip it apart for details in order to see where MPG is being lost for "drivetrain Y".

If you want an MPG leader to increase your fleet MPG, just "design to the test", aka "leave no car behind" aka "leave no Hummer behind".

CarloSW2

zpiloto 02-07-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 40070)
MetroMPG -

It would be really neat if there was a tape of a complete test of "vehicle X". That way, we could rip it apart for details in order to see where MPG is being lost for "drivetrain Y".

If you want an MPG leader to increase your fleet MPG, just "design to the test", aka "leave no car behind" aka "leave no Hummer behind".

CarloSW2

I'm not sure since they changed the CAFE standards(they made it really confusing) but I don't believe that the Hummer is included in there because vehicles with gross weights over 8500 or exempt.

cfg83 02-07-2007 05:14 PM

zpiloto -

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 40078)
I'm not sure since they changed the CAFE standards(they made it really confusing) but I don't believe that the Hummer is included in there because vehicles with gross weights over 8500 or exempt.

My forehead is getting a bit tender from the wall bashing.

Wah-Wah-WAhhhhhhhhhhhh
(Gameshow "you lose" music)

CarloSW2

usedgeo 02-07-2007 06:53 PM

= 4.2% below EPA on average

Their average: 42.7125 mpg (US)

= 7.2% below EPA
(46)

If I had posted the mileage numbers for the '95 metro I owned last fall I could have pulled the average down a bit more. ;) Obviously there was something wrong with it. After pricing a 4 wire oxygen sensor and then a dimmer switch I really lost my motivation with that car. I did not need the dimmer switch. The light wire had burned up at the main junction block for the whole car. It is only anecdotal but it sure felt like a draggy car to me.

However this 2001 Saturn SL I am driving now is pretty amazing. I have never beaten the highway EPA numbers so easy in my life before and it is rated 40 mpg. The scangauge is not fully calibrated yet but is close. It shows a bit over 40 mph most of the time at 65 mph. This car is still completely stock except for 60 psi in the tires. I will be fueling again in a few days and then will have a real number.

My scanguage completely reset in the middle of this tank though. Does that happen often? I think I hit two buttons at once with the engine off.

Ernie

white90crxhf 02-07-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraig (Post 40033)
I'm just happy my Festiva is maintaining a higher average than all you Metros!

The Festivas are also mentioned in an online article "Cars that last a Million Miles". Longevity also affects the long term economical impact of what you drive.

yeah but that festiva in the article didnt even have 300k! my crx will have 300k this week! :D maybe tomorrow.

Longevity also affects the enviromental impact as well as the economics.