Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Crate Engines for Geo Or Honda? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/crate-engines-for-geo-or-honda-3894.html)

Davo53209 02-15-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 40856)
A new transmission is around 1500 I think, but there's really no point, not when you can get free crx HF transmissions all day long. I would consider it a waste to buy either a new engine or transmission for a honda or geo.

Where would I be able to find a free transmission?

thisisntjared 02-15-2007 02:39 PM

used honda everything is everywhere is if its under 100k miles then its still not broken in.

crate engines dont exist because the factory ones dont break, hahaha. i think spoon makes a crate engine or something. i bet there are other companies too, but they will NOT be sohc or close to factory spec.

white90crxhf 02-15-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo53209 (Post 40860)
Where would I be able to find a free transmission?

No idea, but 4 hours of work a junkyard will get you one for about $100. If someone is handing them out i'll take a few to add to my collection :D

SVOboy 02-15-2007 03:59 PM

I've gotten three transmissions for free so far, just got to keep your ear to the ground.

GasSavers_Ryland 02-17-2007 03:25 AM

the crx HF and civic VX are lighter then there more option packed siblings, so they are really popular with people who have to much money, and think they can become a race car driver, so to get a free transmition, you ask around on forums that have people who might have swaped to another tranny, and ask if anyone in your area has one sitting around, also check Ebay! if someone clames that they swaped the tranny on a car simaler to yours, in your area, write to them.
I got my HF tranny, bolted to a good free HF engine for $40 after putting a want ad on Redpepperracing.com

thisisntjared 02-17-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 41019)
...people who have to much money, and think they can become a race car driver...

wait wait, i never thought i could become a race car driver, but i do race my car. and yes, my civic cx motor and transmission was thrown away because it sat in my parents garage for 7 months.

like ben said, you just have to keep patient and keep looking.

JanGeo 02-17-2007 09:31 AM

Had you told me sooner I would have pulled my Geo engine - change the timing belt is about all it needed and an oil change 90608 miles and running great at over 50mpg average. Don't know if it is in any shape now or even if it is still uncrushed.

Davo53209 02-17-2007 01:29 PM

I just found an article in the DIY section of this site entitled, "Honda Civic 5-speed conversion", written by a member named DAX. Basically, he's accomplised what I've only recently started to consider doing to my Honda CX. Now, I am not as mechanically inclined as DAX apparently seems to be, so this would have to be a professional install.

Provided that I had the complete drive train, ECU, electrical components and other required parts, what would be the estimated cost for the labor?"

brelandt 02-18-2007 06:26 AM

Get the "Honda/Acura engine performance" book by HPBooks.

I have a 1991 Integra with the b18a1 engine and my brother has a 2000 Civic HX with the lesser d16y5 engine.

The book will explain why honda has better engines than most other makers "Forged engine parts" are among one reason.

Anyhow, got mine the other week and it's hard to put down.