Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hello, from Arizona (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hello-from-arizona-3898.html)

korax123 02-15-2007 05:03 AM

Hello, from Arizona

My name is Mike and I joined this site to get some usefull information. I currently drive an 04 Saturn ION Redline (it's supercharged). I know it's not really a gas saver I get between 27-32mpg with it.

But I am looking into getting a 88-91 CRX HF to drive everyday. I did find one and was wondering if you guys think this is an ok deal.

1 owner 91 CRX HF with A/C 132k on the odometer. SHe wants $3400 for it and won't budge on price. It sounds a little high but not that bad. What do you all think. I have owned 2 CRX's in the past but they were moddified. ANd this one I will leave 100% stock and just drive it for what it is.

Anyone with an HF want to comment. I might go take a look at the car this weekend.

Matt Timion 02-15-2007 06:27 AM

Hi Mike! Glad to have you here.

27-32 might not be the best MPG, but it's much better than what a lot of people get now adays.

As for the CRX HF, that's rather pricey. There is a market for CRXs, especially ones in good shape, but I would recommend against paying that much for a CRX.

If you have that money, you might want to look for a Civic VX (if you like the style of car). The gas mileage is better, there is more room, and it's most likely newer.

Just a thought.

I usually recommend a CRX HF over a Civic VX b/c the CRX HF is going to be cheaper. In this case though, when prices are relatively similar, a Civic VX would be thebest way to go.

Anyway, let us know what happens.

Matt

korax123 02-15-2007 07:02 AM

Yea the problem out here is the cars don't rust and all the HF's are modded. This is an original owner and she has all the service records. The car has new tires, brakes, timing belt, and i think she said clutch. The car was also garaged it's whole life.

GasSavers_Ryland 02-15-2007 07:56 AM

does she have any records of what kind of mileage it's getting? (sign of something being wrong, I looked at a crx hf that was getting 25mpg... they thought that was great mileage)
If the timing belt and water pump have been replaced (every 90,000 miles) it's 100% rust free, and hasn't been in any accedents, and everything else is good and solid on it, and ready to give you many truble free miles, then go for it! I got my civic VX for $1,900, but had to replace the timing belt, water pump, o2 sensor, tires, brakes, exaust... all that stuff adds up, and you have to take that in to account when looking at a car
I would be tempted to offer her $3000 (or whatever you think it's worth) in cash, leave your number and let her think about it, it seems like alot of people looking at cars don't have money, and the sellers get frustrated after a while with people who have to check on getting a loan, or wait till they get paid next, or whatever, but if you can make a solid offer of showing up with cash in hand, it might take a few weeks for their frustration to build, but she might go for it.
The main enemy of crx's are: teenagers, rust, and timing belt failure.

SVOboy 02-15-2007 07:57 AM

Even with all those things, this car sold for 6000kish new, it's ridic to ask that much for it. Especially with 130k on it. Even if it is well cared for...I'd blue book it and offer her that, if she doesn't want it, move on.

korax123 02-15-2007 08:43 AM

Well I found a 90 CRX DX with 178k on it. Passed emissions and doesn't smoke at all. Some of the rear interior is missing. They want 1800 he would prob take 1500. Anyone with a DX here getting 40mpg?

SVOboy 02-15-2007 10:58 AM

I have a dx with HF tranny.

white90crxhf 02-15-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korax123 (Post 40817)
My name is Mike and I joined this site to get some usefull information. I currently drive an 04 Saturn ION Redline (it's supercharged). I know it's not really a gas saver I get between 27-32mpg with it.

But I am looking into getting a 88-91 CRX HF to drive everyday. I did find one and was wondering if you guys think this is an ok deal.

1 owner 91 CRX HF with A/C 132k on the odometer. SHe wants $3400 for it and won't budge on price. It sounds a little high but not that bad. What do you all think. I have owned 2 CRX's in the past but they were moddified. ANd this one I will leave 100% stock and just drive it for what it is.

Anyone with an HF want to comment. I might go take a look at the car this weekend.

I'd buy it if it has been properly maintained.

UfoTofU 02-15-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korax123 (Post 40836)
Well I found a 90 CRX DX with 178k on it. Passed emissions and doesn't smoke at all. Some of the rear interior is missing. They want 1800 he would prob take 1500. Anyone with a DX here getting 40mpg?

I have an 88 CRX DX and I am managing to get 40+ MPG average, check my signature. It's an automatic too.

korax123 02-15-2007 04:16 PM

Just did my first gas entry with the Wifes civic ex woohoo. I think I am going to look at the 90 DX 5spd this weekend. It's un modified and only missing the stuff in the hatch.