Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Car Magazines: Do You Subscribe? (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/car-magazines-do-you-subscribe-4029.html)

rh77 03-09-2007 12:16 PM

Car Magazines: Do You Subscribe?
 
I've found myself with a stack of Automotive magazines I hadn't read yet...

So, I had some free time while traveling and looked them over.

One magazine had an Editorial of why vehicles were trending towards bigger and more powerful, spouting the usual claims.

A clever letter to the Editor plainly stated that the magazines themselves were at fault too. I'm coming to that realization. It struck me, in particular, when they quoted a small car's base engine as "Fine for a daily driver, but..." and it went on into nonsense. So, is the readership expecting to take their new Dodge Avenger to the Track? I didn't think so.

So, do you read car magazines or journals, and if so, what do you think?

For me, it has been: Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Automobile. C&D expired, and I'm not renewing. I like to keep up on the new models, but unless it has the top-line engine rated over 250-hp, then it doesn't get their respect.

I can roll them all into a Green car magazine subscription, but the content would be so sparse, that it would be lucky to be quarterly. I've also considered a European car magazine like "WhatCar?", but it's almost like a tease of efficient little Diesel cars that it only leaves you wondering what and when - here.

RH77

cfg83 03-09-2007 12:59 PM

RH77 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 43292)
I've found myself with a stack of Automotive magazines I hadn't read yet...

So, I had some free time while traveling and looked them over.

One magazine had an Editorial of why vehicles were trending towards bigger and more powerful, spouting the usual claims.

A clever letter to the Editor plainly stated that the magazines themselves were at fault too. I'm coming to that realization. It struck me, in particular, when they quoted a small car's base engine as "Fine for a daily driver, but..." and it went on into nonsense. So, is the readership expecting to take their new Dodge Avenger to the Track? I didn't think so.

So, do you read car magazines or journals, and if so, what do you think?

For me, it has been: Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Automobile. C&D expired, and I'm not renewing. I like to keep up on the new models, but unless it has the top-line engine rated over 250-hp, then it doesn't get their respect.

I can roll them all into a Green car magazine subscription, but the content would be so sparse, that it would be lucky to be quarterly. I've also considered a European car magazine like "WhatCar?", but it's almost like a tease of efficient little Diesel cars that it only leaves you wondering what and when - here.

RH77

Give this one a chance (and your right, it's quarterly) :

http://greencar.com/

It's not critical of the car industry. Instead it highlights the pro-environment cars, and it is a decent read. You will almost always know more than the mag because you're a GasSaver, but it is nice to see color pages devoted to our interests.

I have been buying some rice-rocket tuner mags recently because I like to look at all the (might as well call them Lego) parts you can get for small cars. I really do wish that cool looking mufflers and exhausts were good for MPG, :) .

Here in LA, I can find el-cheapo Japanese car mags, if I wait long enough (I think it's not cost effective to mail the covers of $10+ Japanese mags back to the publisher, so the 3 or 4 month old ones show up on the discount table after a while). They are UTTERLY FULL of little cars that you just wish they sold here. If I could read Japanese, I would feature some of them here.

Also in LA, I know I could find some British or other Euro-stuff stores and buy car mags there, but I don't think I would get a discount :( .

If you go to the Barnes and Noble or Borders, you have the implicit right to read any mag you want (and not buy it) if you get something in the cafe section. That's what I do (I can get my Kit Car Magazine fix there).

I've never had a car mag subscription. I have mostly only ever liked the car mags for the "concept car" sections and the few features on the cars I have liked. Car mags are almost always in libraries, so just go there and save your $$.

I'm mostly post-hard copy journalism. I find my real info on the net. I mean, how many mags can I find called "Saturn MPG Performance Monthly", ;) .

CarloSW2

Spule 4 03-09-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 43292)
I've found myself with a stack of Automotive magazines I hadn't read yet...

I've also considered a European car magazine like "WhatCar?", but it's almost like a tease of efficient little Diesel cars that it only leaves you wondering what and when - here.

RH77

I have some YEARS old still in wrappers. C/D R/T MT, Automobile, Classic Car, Practical Classic, British Car, car, Sport Compact Car, Classic and Sportscar, brand specific mags/newsletters like Jaguar World, The Star (Merc), Mini World, Rolling (Volvo), Citroenthusiast, and the occasional one or more oddballs, such as Automobiel Klassiek (Dutch) and a lot of others most non US and not in English (Polish, French).

Where are you finding "WhatCar?" in the states?!? That has to be one of the best mags in the UK, better than the ultra-slick, ultra-expensive, post Setright "car".

"WhatCar?" is a good mag, like a well-written C/D with normal cars (some fun stuff like the best used banger estate for under GBP 2000 and the like) combined with Consumer Reports would be the best way to describe it.

MetroMPG 03-09-2007 01:53 PM

Years ago I had a C/D sub. I read 2 weekly newspaper auto review supplements regularly (Toronto Star / Ottawa Citizen).

But like others here, I'm finding these to be more and more irrelevant as time goes on.

I now mostly get my fix online:

http://greencarcongress.com (good quality comments, most of the time)
http://autobloggreen.com
http://evworld.com

... and a few more I can't think of at the moment

MetroMPG 03-09-2007 02:00 PM

Oh, and I never miss an episode of Top Gear. Just too entertaining, even though they almost reflexively reject any vehicle that even hints at being green.

cfg83 03-09-2007 02:10 PM

MetroMPG -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 43312)
Oh, and I never miss an episode of Top Gear. Just too entertaining, even though they almost reflexively reject any vehicle that even hints at being green.

There is a show called "AutoWeek" (EDIT : MotorWeek, corrected below) on the Speed channel. I think it is related to the mag of the same name. I used to see this on PBS. It's all over the place in terms of what it shows, but I like it. A 30 minute "car snack" for when my brain is in "input only" mode.

PS - Now I remember. AutoWeek is the only mag I have ever subscribed to. Not any more. At least it was more current in terms of what was happening than the monthlys.

CarloSW2

Spule 4 03-09-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 43315)
MetroMPG -



There is a show called "AutoWeek" on the Speed channel. I think it is related to the mag of the same name. I used to see this on PBS. It's all over the place in terms of what it shows, but I like it. A 30 minute "car snack" for when my brain is in "input only" mode.

PS - Now I remember. AutoWeek is the only mag I have ever subscribed to. Not any more. At least it was more current in terms of what was happening than the monthlys.

CarloSW2

MotorWeek actually, I have some on VHS-tape from PBS that are 20 years old....

cfg83 03-09-2007 02:52 PM

Spule 4 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spule 4 (Post 43318)
MotorWeek actually, I have some on VHS-tape from PBS that are 20 years old....

Yes, MotorWeek, that's it! I think the same guy is hosting it. Sounds like him, anyway.

CarloSW2

Spule 4 03-09-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 43320)
Spule 4 -



Yes, MotorWeek, that's it! I think the same guy is hosting it. Sounds like him, anyway.

CarloSW2

Do they have the odd mechanic Gosse or the like still? Not on PBS around here anymore.

Also, anyone else remember there were two car shows on NPR. One that gave good (dry) advise and there was Car-Talk. Time has shown how that turned out.

cfg83 03-09-2007 04:07 PM

theclencher -

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 43321)
If you love behind-the-scenes action from the design studios there is no substitute for Car Styling!

Never knew it existed ... Wow, I was looking for 1st Gen CRX but I just found that I could get the issue with the Ford Ghia Barchetta!!!!!

http://mercury-capri-parts.com/uploa...pt1-742504.jpg

http://www.carstylingmag.com/default...ECTIONSword=ww

Item# 0450184 Volume 045 (January 1984) $19.50
Ghia Barchetta, Opel Jr., Nissan Bluebird vs. Toyota Corona, MMC Mirage, Nissan Fairlady Z, Volvo Italia 99. 132 pages.

Temptation knocks, but it doesn't ping ... If I use 91 Octane, that is.

PS - Perfect gift for my car nut nephew (he loves Vipers).

CarloSW2


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.