Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Insanely Ridiculous Automobile Modifications Thread (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/insanely-ridiculous-automobile-modifications-thread-4035.html)

Peakster 03-10-2007 07:02 PM

Insanely Ridiculous Automobile Modifications Thread

2 Attachment(s)
That's right. You know those whacko 'customizations' you can do to a car where you're like: "who the hell would spend money on crap like this?"? Post it here.

Anyways, I'll get things started with something I saw at Canadian Tire today:

Attachment 252

It's called CounterAct: electronic rust protection.

Canadian Tire flyer description (issue for 03/09/07 - 03/15/07):
Quote:

Safe. Effective. Covers the vehicle's body with an electronic shield that protects inside and out. Regular 299.99 - $349.99. Each $199.99 - $249.99
Canadian Tire website:
Quote:

Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)
There doesn't seem to be much more information, but if this product actually works, why don't we see it in all vehicles? It just looks and sounds real fishy to me. What do other members think?

zpiloto 03-10-2007 07:07 PM

The BioPerformance gas pill
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._gas_pill.html

cfg83 03-11-2007 12:56 AM

Peakster-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 43424)
That's right. You know those whacko 'customizations' you can do to a car where you're like: "who the hell would spend money on crap like this?"? Post it here.

Attachment 252

Canadian Tire website:

There doesn't seem to be much more information, but if this product actually works, why don't we see it in all vehicles? It just looks and sounds real fishy to me. What do other members think?

What I think is interesting is that you probably won't know that it *didn't* work until they have gone out of business or re-incorporated. How fast does a car rust up in your parts? I usually have a "sucker limit" of under $50. It depends on how I am doing financially :D .

CarloSW2

Silveredwings 03-11-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 43424)

Attachment 252

Canadian Tire website:

I can't get to that product description by your link, so I'll play 20 questions...
- is it an active anodic sacrifice system?
- does it apply a voltage potnetial between the body and an anode?
- does it involve a voodoo stick? :D
- mothballs? ;)
- ok, not really 20 questions... :)

EDIT : I got it (below) when I entered "M4P 1V8" into the postal code.

Peakster 03-11-2007 08:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 43438)
Peakster-

What I think is interesting is that you probably won't know that it *didn't* work until they have gone out of business or re-incorporated. How fast does a car rust up in your parts? I usually have a "sucker limit" of under $50. It depends on how I am doing financially :D .

CarloSW2

That's the thing that confuses me. Canadian Tire is a fairly reputable company that's been around since the 1920s (comical, yet annoying TV commercials), so it would be likely that there would be some sort of compensation if the product didn't work.

Cars rust pretty nicely in my parts. The Geo is 10 years old and I've got some nice surface rust going on at the door sills. Still, totally not worth spending $200.00 to buy this product (says it both prevents and inhibits existing rust). I too have a 'sucker' limit of $50 (well okay, $60 Canadian :D). I did buy the Hot Wash for my Geo and it works as described (although not nearly as glamourous as the Canadian Tire 'Family' made it look on the TV ad.)
Attachment 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 43446)
I can't get to that product description by your link, so I'll play 20 questions...
- is it an active anodic sacrifice system?
- does it apply a voltage potnetial between the body and an anode?
- does it involve a voodoo stick? :D
- mothballs? ;)
- ok, not really 20 questions... :)

1. I'm thinking that's what it's supposed to be (or resemble)
2. Not a clue. It doesn't even say if the device is to be plugged in when the car is parked, in in the cigarette socket while driving.
3. Not mentioned in ad :p
4. I don't think so ;)

However, according to the website there is a 5 year warrantee to the product (when installed at a Canadian Tire store and have original receipt). Also, what's with the different prices? I'm assuming that a big vehicle needs a big one of 'these' to work. Canadian Tire has always had some weird stuff for cars, but this takes the cake.

I checked the website link and it seems to be working for me.

ELF 03-11-2007 08:00 AM

You would need to do at least a 10 year trial to see if it works.
Here in the metro MN we get lots of salt and sand in winter, a new car purchased here with no special care will last about 10 years before some small amount of rust starts showing, and probably last even longer if it is washed and waxed on a regular basis.

Silveredwings 03-11-2007 08:22 AM

Ah, I got it when I entered "M4P 1V8" into the postal code.

Silveredwings 03-11-2007 08:39 AM

It could also be a negative electrostatic charge applied to the body (with respect to what, I don't know).

Peakster 03-11-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 43456)
It could also be a negative electrostatic charge applied to the body

Would that theoretically work? My thinking is that even if it did, there's no way someone could have that device working 24/7/365.

repete86 03-11-2007 08:48 AM

I'm so glad that rust is a rarity in Florida because I really hate washing my car, and as a result don't. I still have dirt on my bumper from December when I was working on a film that required me to drive on alot of dirt roads to get to the set.