Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Insanely Ridiculous Automobile Modifications Thread (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/insanely-ridiculous-automobile-modifications-thread-4035.html)

The Toecutter 03-25-2007 03:31 PM

Little British Car enthusiasts usually coat their cars in Waxoyl to protect them from rust, and apparantly, it works better than anything.

VetteOwner 03-28-2007 06:48 PM

kind of a partial question thast on topic.

theorietically couldnt u get better mpg if your car was clean and waxed? much like a waxed surfboard on water glides better, waxed car in wind "slips" better. (yes i realize water is obviously much more dense than air but still)

my chevette that is 27 years old has virtually no rust and its been bought and driven around here on salt. there is massive ammounts of undercoating tho and where its flaked off its clean red paint still underneath...

except for the front floor pans but they rusted from the inside out...

BumblingB 03-28-2007 07:06 PM

That's really funny! I JUST NOW this moment finished getting together a presentation for school tomorrow. Subject: Driving for maximum fuel economy. I included "Keep vehicle washed and waxed" in my reduce drag portion. I know it is just a small rock towards gas mileage, but many rocks together build a moutain. (I stole that from "The Riches") I also included racing disc hubcaps for the reduce drag portion of vehicle modifications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 45405)
kind of a partial question thast on topic.

theorietically couldnt u get better mpg if your car was clean and waxed? much like a waxed surfboard on water glides better, waxed car in wind "slips" better. (yes i realize water is obviously much more dense than air but still)

my chevette that is 27 years old has virtually no rust and its been bought and driven around here on salt. there is massive ammounts of undercoating tho and where its flaked off its clean red paint still underneath...

The Toecutter 03-28-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

It will affect your mpg less than 1/4 or so. It's so insignificant that plain old A-B-A testing usually won't detect a statistically significant difference attributable to this.

There are exceptions, such as your car being covered in years worth of road grime and mud. Then the difference could be pretty sizable.

Silveredwings 03-29-2007 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 45405)

Yabba-dabba-doo! :D

VetteOwner 03-29-2007 08:43 AM

rofl yea.. but everywhere was still solid enough to just drill some holes and put a piece of sheetmetal down with some bolts.

but! dirt weighs somehting, if youve got alot of dirt buildup it could potentially weigh down your car. especially wet dirt.