Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   VX motor in a Insight? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/vx-motor-in-a-insight-4058.html)

whychug 03-14-2007 06:08 AM

VX motor in a Insight?

weight savings coupled with the aerodynamics should improve upon the 50 mpg I'm seeing now correct? Just considering finding a high mileage Insight tearing out the heavy IMA batteries and dropping in a VX motor... Opinons?

cfg83 03-14-2007 06:25 AM

whychug -

Which emission standard would it have to pass? The Insight's or the new drivetrain?

CarloSW2

MetroMPG 03-14-2007 06:53 AM

Neat idea. In Ontario, hybrids are exempt from emissions testing.

I'd be more tempted to find a way to keep the Insight's 1.0L lean-burn ICE though. It'll beat the pants off the VX motor.

See also this thread: How well would a de-hybridized Insight peform (FE wise)?

Matt Timion 03-14-2007 08:20 AM

I agree with MetroMPG. The existing 1.0L is essentially a 1.0L version of the d15z1 (civic VX engine).

Maybe try removing the batteries and just seeing what happens :)

Sludgy 03-14-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 43830)
I agree with MetroMPG. The existing 1.0L is essentially a 1.0L version of the d15z1 (civic VX engine).

Maybe try removing the batteries and just seeing what happens :)

Are either of these engines considered modified Atkinson cycle? (high 12-13:1compression/late intake valve closure)?

brucepick 03-14-2007 10:54 AM

Geez. From what I can see, the 5-spd Insight seems to be the TOP car for fuel economy, achieving 80-90 mpg when driven with fuel economy as a top priority. Auto trans would still be quite decent - about 60-65 mpg apparently. Don't know which you have.

I think if you apply some basic hypermiling techniques your mpg should go up significantly. Pulse and glide, neutral coast downhill, and other techniques will be your friends.

Have a look at the mpg figures in the far right column on this page
https://www.cleanmpg.com/cmps_index.php?page=garage

I know there are improvements one can make to an Insight but unless you load it up with batteries to turn it into a pure plug-in, I can't see tearing out the ICE.

budomove 03-14-2007 03:33 PM

insighgt has no alternator, so w/o the pack, it can't recharge the battery.

also, it is 3 cyl. and the motor shakes w/o the computer to correct it. if you disconnect the pack, i believe you must also disconnect the system that corrects the engine shake, although the amount of shake is insignificant according to some.

would be cool if it worked, but you'd need to mod it for recharging the battery.

silverinsight 03-14-2007 04:24 PM

The Insight is a complete package, changing it would lessen it. I can get an easy 70mpg at 60mph on any summer day, 80 -90mpg with a little hypermiling.

I think that adding that fourth lean burn cylinder would only decrease mpg's, and add weight. Removing the 200 or so pounds of battery and misc. would do little (+1-2%?) for steady state cruising.

The Insights 1 liter is not an Atkinson cycle, and the compression ratio is approx. 11:1 on the manual and a little less on the CVT, valving is normal. Removing the big battery and DC-DC converter would cause the problems mentioned, engine shake and no 12 volt recharge.

The best way to increase mpgs (my opinion) is to improve already world class aerodynamics, or introduce cylinder deactivation, thermal banking, or add HCCI technology. Not easy on a three cylinder engine.

rh77 03-14-2007 04:25 PM

Good use...

As these vehicles wear out and become too costly to repair to original condition:
  1. They should be inexpesive to purchase
  2. (with the batts removed) Light and Aerodyanmic
  3. and a great project.

Especially the 5-speed models will provide the best benefit unless the modifier is willing to do a tranny swap. The 3-cyl engine should last forever.

EDIT: adding an alternator and ignition system wouldn't be too bad. The engine is made in other markets for non-hybrid applications, so the parts should be available, right?

The Toecutter 03-14-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

As these vehicles wear out and become too costly to repair to original condition:

1. They should be inexpesive to purchase
2. (with the batts removed) Light and Aerodyanmic
3. and a great project.

Especially the 5-speed models will provide the best benefit unless the modifier is willing to do a tranny swap. The 3-cyl engine should last forever.
Ideal platform for either an inline-5 cylinder turbodiesel running on B100 or an electric drive. The Honda Insight looks a lot faster than it really is. If I ever get my hands on one, I will make sure its speed matches its looks, without sacrificing efficiency to any significant degree(if not improve upon it).

I wouldn't call its aerodynamics world class. Sure, it's the most aerodynamic car the automakers have been willing to let us buy in recent years, but cars like the Tatra T77a(.21 Cd), Alfa Romeo BAT7(.19 Cd), Ford Probe V(.14 Cd) and others had it beat decades before the first model ever rolled off the assembly line.

If an Insight were built with a .16 Cd or so, its highway fuel economy would improve more than 20% assuming nothing else is changed.