Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Just picked up a Jetta - ?? about SVO systems (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/just-picked-up-a-jetta-about-svo-systems-4134.html)

BumblingB 03-26-2007 06:39 PM

Just picked up a Jetta - ?? about SVO systems

Well kids, I am making a deal to get a Jetta diesel. The history on the car is incredible. EXCELLENT original paint, interior, FULL MX records & reciepts, cruise control and it is an '86! Really nice car, I'm impressed though I did give a little $$$ for it - it only has 111,000 miles.

My question is..........IYO, what is the BEST SVO system out there. Why do you think it is? So far I am leaning towards Frybrid. The guy that is sellling it likes Greascar (or however you spell it). Anyone with knowledge have input?

Thanks.

omgwtfbyobbq 03-26-2007 07:11 PM

The one you make yourself.
Or anything except for lovecraft. ;)

Hockey4mnhs 03-26-2007 07:17 PM

sry i was just wanting to know what a svo is if anyone can point that out

BumblingB 03-26-2007 07:23 PM

Sorry about that. SVO stands for Straight Vegetable Oil - WVO stands for Waste Vegetable Oil. I have a high school buddy who has a eating establishment who will offer me up whatever WVO I can use. No, I didn't get out of high school just last year. ;)

omgwtfbyobbq-I don't have the time, nor the patience to make my own though it does seem like it wouldn't be too hard.

GasSavers_nathan 03-26-2007 07:27 PM

Just wondering, in the jetta where would you put the second tank? would you use the original for the oil and get a small tank for the normal diesel?

MetroMPG 03-26-2007 07:31 PM

Cool - I hope you'll keep a thread going with the details. Is this your first diesel?

GasSavers_Ryland 03-26-2007 07:33 PM

in some ways I like the design that uses the spare tire well for a 2nd tank, altho when you need the spare tire you really wish you had a spare tire!
I haven't looked at kits in a while, so off the top of my head I don't know what the differnces in them are.

Hockey4mnhs 03-26-2007 07:36 PM

haha thanks all makes sense now

Lug_Nut 03-27-2007 04:46 AM

The 'best' system is the one that makes no compromises, I haven't seen one yet that meets that. The greatest hurdle to me getting one for my diesel is the packaging. The spare tire well is frequently given to a second fuel tank. I have problems in giving up the security of a spare tire or of giving up storage space to relocate the spare.
The routing of the fuel lines, second filter, hot water lines, "T" fittings, six way valves, temperature monitoring gauges, and on and on can be integrated into the existing systems to work without leaking and also be aesthetically pleasant, but I haven't seen one done that way yet. They all look to be cobbled together from bits scrounged from cast off hardware left over from other failed projects.
Adding an SVO/WVO kit is a great way to depreciate the value of a diesel.
The neatest, least troublesome, SVO/WVO system I've seen is the Elsbett single tank system, but it is far more costly than the home-made (whether installed at your or some professional's "home") kits.

It's my opinion that the same funds spent on a SVO/WVO vehicle kit would be better spent on a system to convert the VO into biodiesel.

omgwtfbyobbq 03-27-2007 08:47 AM

I agree with Lug_Nut. Just make sure to replace all your rubber fuel lines after they get spongy on biodiesel (Or WVO.), and watch that injection pump! There are a couple seals that will eventually go iirc, and one of them can leak biodiesel on to your timing belt. That would take your car from $$$ to $$$$! ;)