Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Gas Prices (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/gas-prices-4154.html)

zpiloto 03-30-2007 04:54 AM

Gas Prices

Everyone has probably already figured this out but I'm reading the USA today and they say to expect another .20 cent rise within the next 2 weeks. That will put it .20 cents under the all time high here.

Quote:
Even if the situation in Iran were to be resolved, oil prices would only fall a few dollars. That's because the supply-demand balance alone is tight enough to support higher prices.

Don't you love it. Support higher prices. It's like a campain slogan.

davidjh72 03-30-2007 05:12 AM

It's already gone up 20 cents here since Monday! I filled up last night with 87 regular at $2.799. Previous fill-up was $2.599. So I can expect it to go up to $2.999+ within two weeks.

ELF 03-30-2007 06:34 AM

Hey, I support higher prices!!
Here in MN our elected officials are working hard to raise our gas tax .10 cents a gallon too. If they succeed they won't be very popular with the voters.

Sludgy 03-30-2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELF (Post 45550)
Hey, I support higher prices!!
Here in MN our elected officials are working hard to raise our gas tax .10 cents a gallon too. If they succeed they won't be very popular with the voters.

I support higher gas taxes IF they reduce income taxes or registration fees at the same time.

BeeUU 03-30-2007 07:11 AM

I paid 3.07 last week when I filled with premium. Not sure what amount is taxes for the state. I will have to look into that.

GasSavers_Red 03-30-2007 07:56 AM

3.19 on Monday for regular. 20 cents more is gonna suck.....

Info on gas taxes
https://www.californiagasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

California sucks :(

QDM 03-30-2007 07:59 AM

I was in Furnace Creek at Death Valley last week and saw that gas at the only gas station was $3.95.9 for regular. Elsewhere on my trip through California the cheapest gas I saw was $3.05.9. Thank goodness for my 50 mpg Swift.

Q

GasSavers_brick 03-30-2007 10:43 AM

Well, that's exciting. Around here we're already 20 cents above the same time last year. At this rate we could easily get above $3 in April, then who knows what it will look like in May, June, July. We live in "interesting times."

BeeUU 03-30-2007 10:52 AM

I am glad that I am getting nearly twice the mileage that I did last year. I guess gas prices are going down!!!:p

Plus, there is nothing like the feeling of coasting in freeway traffic :cool: , something that I never would have thought of in the past, thanks GS!!:thumbup:

cfg83 03-30-2007 11:45 AM

Hello -

I guess that will make us the "I Told You So's" at social events :) .

CarloSW2

zpiloto 03-30-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 45592)
Hello -

I guess that will make us the "I Told You So's" at social events :) .

CarloSW2

Everyone still thinks I'm nuts. It's not a matter of I told you so, it's a matter of quit complaining and be more FE or get a better car and not expect the government to do something about it. Even if fuel gets to $5.00 a gallon most will just say man it cost me $130 to fill my ______. The government needs to do something about it.

cfg83 03-30-2007 02:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
zpiloto -

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 45622)
Everyone still thinks I'm nuts. It's not a matter of I told you so, it's a matter of quit complaining and be more FE or get a better car and not expect the government to do something about it. Even if fuel gets to $5.00 a gallon most will just say man it cost me $130 to fill my ______. The government needs to do something about it.

I liken it to the "Matthew Lesko" Cassandra syndrome :

Attachment 311

WHY WONT YOU LET ME HELP YOU?!?!?!?!
CANT YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!?!
JUST DO AS I SAY AND ALL YOUR GAS PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED!!!!

(Say the above out loud in the tone of his infomercials)

CarloSW2

Peakster 03-30-2007 03:04 PM

The cheapest gas in town today is $3.61 CAD/US gallon. Still a ways to go to beat my city's record of $4.56 CAD/US gallon. Nearly $50 to fill my tank if we see those prices again (which we most likely will).

At least the high prices are boosting my resale value of my Geo here. I saw a '96 model a little while ago with over 200K on it and they wanted $4,000 for it ;).

Hockey4mnhs 03-30-2007 10:25 PM

thank GOD for gs!!!!

Ted Hart 04-22-2007 10:41 PM

God help us if ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 45622)
Even if fuel gets to $5.00 a gallon most will just say man it cost me $130 to fill my ______. The government needs to do something about it.

When the gov't steps in, everything goes to H--- ! Don't you agree?:eek:

JanGeo 04-23-2007 03:25 AM

Prices just jumped over 3 a gallon for higher test and regular is just below 3 at some stations for regular.

Peakster 05-01-2007 07:09 PM

The 'normal' gas price in Regina today has hit $1.139 CAD per litre, a 7 cent jump overnight. It's getting close to our all-time-record of $1.195. The cheapest place in town has also risen to $1.049/L.

On the CTV news, it was reported that gasoline is predicted to hit $1.40 per litre this summer ($4.68 US per US gallon). Watch as they'll be practically giving away early 2000s-model SUVs. *evil grin*

trebuchet03 05-01-2007 07:30 PM

I really wonder if the supply/demand/price curves are working.... Sure, WE drive for max efficiency... But does an additional 20 cents make the other guy at the pump drive differently? Less? Any change? I mean, I'm always hearing "oh, a few cents more only means another dollar compared to before."

Well... I guess I'm thinking for longer term preservation of supply... NOT maximization of supply profits...

Well, I'm happy -- four 10 miles trips today - mixed driving.. 40+mpg for the Jetta gasser off the SG :D If I can do that for my road trip... That's less than 75 gallons for nearly 3000 miles :D

swng 05-01-2007 07:31 PM

I have been paying more than $1.2 for a liter lately. Please see more details here:https://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/gas_prices.

Peakster 05-01-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swng (Post 49830)
I have been paying more than $1.2 for a liter lately.

I remember seeing the prices in Vancouver on TV. Yikes :(! There's virtually no reason to drive a car that has more than 4 cylinders these days.

I find this quote funny:
Quote:

Liberal MP Dan McTeague said the price hike could not have come at a worse moment for Canadians.
"It's not only that they're angry. It comes on the heels of filing their taxes last evening - it comes on the heels of being told that as a result of the hike in gasoline prices mainly interest rates are not going to be coming down - and it also comes on the heels of having to dig a lot deeper into their pockets compared to this time last year," McTeague said.
Cran said his group was surprised the constant price hikes have not led to civil unrest.
"We're probably too nice in Canada," he said.
"We don't see riots. I don't know at what figure Canadians turn nasty."

I think a price that suddenly goes from $1.149 to $2.00+ would see some real civil unrest. $2 a litre would mean almost $80 to fill the Geo. Filling up an ordinary car or suv would just be insane.

trebuchet03 05-01-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 49832)
There's virtually no reason to drive a car that has more than 4 cylinders these days.

Puh... my mother's car is a 4cyl... and 2.5 liters and an auto:thumbdown: At least the gearing is okay.

SVOboy 05-01-2007 08:46 PM

If only the US hadn't pulled out of Kyoto...we would have higher gas prices and more efficient cars to show for it!

Mike T 05-01-2007 08:56 PM

I love it. Bring $2 a litre on!

Peakster 05-01-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike T (Post 49837)
I love it. Bring $2 a litre on!

Lol. I drive one of the more fuel efficient cars on this site and even I worry about what will happen if $2 a litre came to be this year.

- People would steal gas like lunatics. Rip off the licence plates, wear hooded a sweatshirt & sunglasses then blatently take it from gas stations in huge hoards.
- Activists would crash/destroy/torch higher-priced name brand gas stations in anger.
- Innocent people would be killed/injured over this materialistic fuel.
- SUVs and trucks would be vandilized and gas syphoned from them.

Someone somehwere should make a blockbuster movie about such a situation. Gas prices $15 a gallon = lunacy everywhere!

The good thing about that situation is that after the huge revolution, everyone would be driving electric scooters, walking, riding their bikes everywhere and it would be a happy ending.

landspeed 05-02-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 49838)
Lol. I drive one of the more fuel efficient cars on this site and even I worry about what will happen if $2 a litre came to be this year.

- People would steal gas like lunatics. Rip off the licence plates, wear hooded a sweatshirt & sunglasses then blatently take it from gas stations in huge hoards.
- Activists would crash/destroy/torch higher-priced name brand gas stations in anger.
- Innocent people would be killed/injured over this materialistic fuel.
- SUVs and trucks would be vandilized and gas syphoned from them.

Someone somehwere should make a blockbuster movie about such a situation. Gas prices $15 a gallon = lunacy everywhere!

The good thing about that situation is that after the huge revolution, everyone would be driving electric scooters, walking, riding their bikes everywhere and it would be a happy ending.

We pay $2 a litre here now (in the UK), and there is no civil unrest.

When the price went about ?1 / litre though, there were blockades by lorry drivers which caused chaos everywhere :) and the prices dropped (then began creeping up again from that point). I wonder if we can do that next time they get so high?

The other day I saw a Pontiac Trans-Am drive by, and wondered how they can afford to run that in the UK??

MorningGaser 05-02-2007 11:19 AM

In San Francisco, it's already $4 plus....check this link:

https://msnbc.msn.com/id/18279439/dis...stry/18425670/

Mike T 05-02-2007 11:40 AM

I remember when the price of a pint of ale in London went to £1 for the first time (around the summer of 1984), everyone was freaking out. Ahh the good old days. Back then it was still 60 p in the country.

Even at $2 a litre in Germany, people (including me) drive over 200 km/h....so no there won't be civil unrest, unless Canadians are more hot-headed than other nationalities ;)

BeeUU 05-02-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorningGaser (Post 49888)
In San Francisco, it's already $4 plus....check this link:

https://msnbc.msn.com/id/18279439/dis...stry/18425670/

It is 3.30 to 3.90 here in the Seattle area. Moving fast.

GasSavers_Red 05-02-2007 05:17 PM

3.41 last time I checked

VetteOwner 05-02-2007 06:13 PM

$2.98 pisses me of...2 months ago it was down to $2.08

BumblingB 05-02-2007 06:23 PM

I have noticed a lot of people driving easier (slower) around here. That being said, a lot of people are still driving like they have money to burn. :(

I paid $2.93 today for 87. When I bought the car on Feb. 14 and gassed it up, gas was $2.15.

psyshack 05-03-2007 09:59 AM

$2.89 in the Tulsa area. Folks just dont have a clue...

GasSavers_TomO 05-03-2007 10:21 AM

Yesterday near my work, every station was sitting right at 2.99 and 9/10th. I rushed home to fill up because the holiday station near my house is always slow about changing their price. Sure enough, the holiday was still at 2.79 for the regular stuff. But today the price is sitting at 2.98.

Gary Palmer 05-03-2007 12:40 PM

I had to make a round trip to just south of San Diego, yesterday. I had to pay $3.55 for gas, both in San Diego and in Agoura. What really trips me out is that drivers don't seem to be slowing down a bit. I pretty much drove 80 the whole trip and I had to stay out of the inside lane, or I kept getting people sniffing my tail pipe.

I did see a enclosed trailer with a sign on the back that said "Please stay very far back. The contents of this trailer are highly toxic and may have lifetime consequences". I think it was a guy hauling his dune buggy to the desert, but I thought it was an interesting approach to trying to get people to not follow so close.

Telco 05-18-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landspeed (Post 49846)
We pay $2 a litre here now (in the UK), and there is no civil unrest.

When the price went about ?1 / litre though, there were blockades by lorry drivers which caused chaos everywhere :) and the prices dropped (then began creeping up again from that point). I wonder if we can do that next time they get so high?

The other day I saw a Pontiac Trans-Am drive by, and wondered how they can afford to run that in the UK??

Yes, but a lot of your fuel price is tax which subsidizes public transportation, something we don't have on the other side of the pond. If there were reliable public trans from my house to my workplace I'd have no problems at all with getting up earlier and riding the bus to work, but there just isn't an option. Aren't even any bike trails so I have to drive to work. If gas goes up much more though, I plan to start riding the bike anyway. Biggest problem with a bike where I am is it isn't the safest way to go. I work in an industrial park in the country, and the only access is via 50MPH country roads or a 55MPH 4 lane that everyone drives 70-75 on. Maybe a motorcycle instead...

MnFocus 05-18-2007 12:03 PM

3.149 this a.m. ...UP .11 by 2 pm ! Drove 55 mph on the way home and actually had a 'fan club' ! All 10 of us at 55 mph for 10 miles . I'm thinking folks *are* waking up slooooooowly .

MnFocus 05-18-2007 12:39 PM

Thats just it ! It *was* cheap at 4:30 a.m. ...not so cheap now . Good news though my SGII came in the mail today !! So crossing my fingers for 'improving' technique saving .

slurp812 05-18-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MnFocus (Post 51789)
3.149 this a.m. ...UP .11 by 2 pm ! Drove 55 mph on the way home and actually had a 'fan club' ! All 10 of us at 55 mph for 10 miles . I'm thinking folks *are* waking up slooooooowly .

I was doing 60 today, and noticed 4 people behind me! And I was following a semi. Oh and last time I filled up (8 days ago) gas was $3.149 now its like 3.299 at the high placed, and 3.259 at the cheapo stations...

ELF 05-18-2007 02:57 PM

mid week it was 3.15 today its up to 3.39 Gal. here, High price doesn't bother me a bit. But... I do hate to listen to every one at work whine about it.

MnFocus 05-18-2007 05:49 PM

*Gasp!* it was up to 3.36-9 by 4 pm !!! Thats .24 in one day fer the love of gawd ! *in a whiney voice* LOL