Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Old EPA / New EPA (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/old-epa-new-epa-4158.html)

Sludgy 03-30-2007 10:17 AM

Old EPA / New EPA

Based on Edmund's.com, a lot of car models that have been around for a long time have the same MPG figures this year as they did last year, and for the years previous. A good example is the Scion xB, which is 30/34 with manual transmission. It does not appear to adopt the new EPA mileage ratings.

So, are the Old EPA sticker ratings, once established for a model, held over until the model is redesigned?

Also, the newly redesigned 2007 Chevy and GMC trucks have mileage ratings up to 22 MPG highway. Are these ratings the New ratings?

davidjh72 03-30-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 45580)
Based on Edmund's.com, a lot of car models that have been around for a long time have the same MPG figures this year as they did last year, and for the years previous. A good example is the Scion xB, which is 30/34 with manual transmission. It does not appear to adopt the new EPA mileage ratings.

So, are the Old EPA sticker ratings, once established for a model, held over until the model is redesigned?

Also, the newly redesigned 2007 Chevy and GMC trucks have mileage ratings up to 22 MPG highway. Are these ratings the New ratings?

I think the EPA just went by a formula for calculating the new rating for olders cars. See my siggy...

SVOboy 03-30-2007 10:40 AM

Some of the models might have been tested before the new system was adopted?

cfg83 03-30-2007 11:58 AM

Sludgy -

Could it be that Edmund's hasn't caught up yet? Do you see a mixture of old and new EPA figures for different cars? Are they being identified as such? I would only use the EPA website until the new standard has propagated.

CarloSW2

Sludgy 03-30-2007 12:20 PM

I think I found the answer. The New EPA ratings apply to 2008 models and later. So Edmunds is using the Old EPA ratings.

davidjh72 03-30-2007 12:23 PM

Check out this site. This is where I got the EPA new vs old rating picture for my signature.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

rh77 03-30-2007 03:29 PM

2008 My

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 45598)
I think I found the answer. The New EPA ratings apply to 2008 models and later. So Edmunds is using the Old EPA ratings.

This is correct: it applies to "Model Year" 2008+, even if the model was released as a "late '07" or "2007 and 1/2".

The link in davidjh72's sig is the place to go to get the new estimates.

psyshack 03-30-2007 08:07 PM

My car wont change in as built. But the new EPA numbers will. IMO the new EPA numbers only justifies the bad choices we make and the utter awful choices we make to live in areas where cars dont move well. Meaning we think we have to go where the money is. Which is about most of Americas college grads.

I can tell you in Tulsa,, driving normal... yes that means hitting redine here and there in city traffic. ( they are Hondas for gods sake ) I have to work way hard and comment felonys to get below epa. Be it city or hwy. But the fine line between epa and hypermiling is a fine one.

I can rack tach and be a big problem in my Civic in town,, smoke the tires a joint and warm a beer in my lap and not get below EPA for my 06 Civic. Or I can work my *** off.... Do everything right,, thank the wind gods,,, drive slow and get 54 mpg.

Believe me when the wife and I jump in the Civic and haul *** over to Arkansas on the 9th of April to hide in the hills I wont be hypermiling. I will be racking tach and having some fun on my native two lanes. And I wager a pay check,,, I'll do my stats....

The new EPA no matter how you cut it. Is a excuse for bad life style choices and habits....

SVOboy 03-31-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyshack (Post 45654)
The new EPA no matter how you cut it. Is a excuse for bad life style choices and habits....

Actually, it's a more accurate estimate. When people have better information, they can make better decisions.

To get better results, we need to start with some sort of truth. Building are actions on false premises is not the way to go.

Bill in Houston 03-31-2007 09:13 AM

Yeah, if it was some sort of unitless number between 1 and 100, then it wouldn't matter quite so much. But as it is, with it being in the form of MPG, it should reflect something like what the average driver can expect. City should be stop and go, slow and go, lots of idling, AC on, etc. Highway should be 70-75 mph with the AC on, and a full stop every mile or so for Starbucks. :-)