Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Lexus' attempt at a Hybrid (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/lexus-attempt-at-a-hybrid-4323.html)

GasSavers_TomO 04-20-2007 07:19 AM

I agree that the SUV "Hybrid" market makes for $$$ for manufacturers. Maybe I should just make a bumper sticker that says "My non-Hybrid car gets 5 times better mpg than your "Hybrid" SUV" :chuckles

cfg83 04-20-2007 08:27 AM

SVOboy -

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 48282)
Honda wanted to balance the civic hybrid with the accord hybrid, one is for MPG and one is for performance/mpg, just to prove it can be done. I admit, it is somewhat silly, but not terribly.

I read that the Accord Hybrid was a sales failure because of the performance emphasis. I can see this for a luxury car like their Acuras, but not a "practical" Honda Accord.

CarloSW2

SVOboy 04-20-2007 08:29 AM

Yeah, well, I'd agree it was a failure in general, but still, they tried and they'll figure out out sooner or later, :p

repete86 04-20-2007 04:10 PM

Toyota hasn't really impressed me since my old Tercel.

BumblingB 04-20-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 48282)
Honda wanted to balance the civic hybrid with the accord hybrid, one is for MPG and one is for performance/mpg, just to prove it can be done. I admit, it is somewhat silly, but not terribly.

That was pretty much a rhetorical question. :D I had 2 hybrids when they introduced the Accord and even considered picking one up since they came back as fast as they sold them - for a while they could be had cheap on the used car lot. It's sad the Accord 4cyl can whoop the hybrid brother in MPG but I guess the Accord Hybrid is fastttttttt.

thisisntjared 04-21-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 48194)
Granted, you might not have the same 0-60 speed.

i am glad you figured it out. i will gladly trade lose 1mpg if i can lose one .5 seconds in the quarter mile.

i know a lot of people dont understand motor sports or even just a car that has more go power. you should look at what a car performing at the same level gets as far as fuel economy. then you should appreciate what they are doing.

you guys cant expect everyone to be like you. not everybody wants a small econo box. honda did not make a 4 cylinder accord hybrid because they did not want to cut into the civic hybrid sales. trebuchet has the right idea. spread the r&d accross the market. make good use of it. make all sorts of cars that are hybrids. it brings us that much closer to all sorts of electric vehicles.

i cant believe you guys would think that this attempt at a hybrid is unsuccessful. it is very successful. the profit made in luxury cars is SOOO much higher than making cars for the penny pinchers.

think of the added income that will be used to further develop the technology.

think of how the statistics will change the market! spreading hybrid technology to all demographics is KEY for further developing the technology and for furthing the shift from fossil fuels.

man i still cant believe you guys dont get it. BIG picture guys.

GasSavers_TomO 04-21-2007 06:51 AM

Point taken, Jared. Hopefully most of the income generated from the sales of the psuedo-Hybrids :chuckles: will be put forth towards more R&D in all their vehicles.

I , personally, don't, even in the slightest, expect everyone to be like me, but it is annoying when you hear individuals complain about the cost of gas after they have just bought a brand new GMC Denali when they only cart around two people at most in their travels.

I still would love my civic to do the quarter mile in 14 seconds AND get 50+ mpg but I guess that since I'm almost 30, am married, and have an 18 month old daughter that my priorities are shifting. Although, as soon as I get a house with a three car garage, I am finally getting a CRX and setting it up strictly as a track car!

thisisntjared 04-22-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 48450)
I still would love my civic to do the quarter mile in 14 seconds AND get 50+ mpg but I guess that since I'm almost 30, am married, and have an 18 month old daughter that my priorities are shifting. Although, as soon as I get a house with a three car garage, I am finally getting a CRX and setting it up strictly as a track car!

you can get the car under 14 seconds in the quarter mile and get 40+mpg on the highway. there is a lot to be said for the good old turbo d honda. i want to have a street legal track car too, that way i dont need to buy a truck.... but yea i know what your saying reliability, utility and affordability are #1 when you have a family. i am sure if you had too much money and liked accelerating fast that you would be happy with a 500hp hybrid as a daily driver, haha.

anyway, when i typed what i did, i was not targeting anyone in particular, rather everyone that had posted saying that the lexus hybrid is a waste.

the bottom line is if hybrid sales go up, then all manufacturors will make more hybrids. eventually a hybrid will cost around the same as a normal vehicle while the hybrids can also plug into the extension cord in your garage.

the revolutions take time though and lots of steps. a power house luxury hybrid is one of those steps.

i hope i didnt kill this thread. tomo was the only one to post after i did...