Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   ScanGauge: What are Your Settings? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/scangauge-what-are-your-settings-4340.html)

rh77 04-21-2007 07:57 AM

ScanGauge: What are Your Settings?

Just an informal poll -- what are your SG settings (or SmID) and why? This is a powerful tool, and I'd like to learn more about it. Listed from Top Left for mine...

TL = MPG
BL = TPS (used to get an input for stable throttle input and for the auto trans.)
TR = MPH (exact speed -- speedometer is inaccurate)
BR = *FIA (important for the engine's fuel-enrichment variable)

Optional:
*FWT - when it's super-cold to see if the engine is up to temp
GPH - when stuck in heavy traffic

Bear in mind, I have an automatic, so some parameters can't be manipulated without ECU/TCU override.

So, what's on your SG (and how do you use that feedback parameter)?

RH77

trebuchet03 04-21-2007 08:00 AM

MPG
MPH
Loop
Coolant Temp

GasSavers_Red 04-21-2007 08:10 AM

From the top left going counter clockwise
MPG
TPS
GPH
(Whatever is broken or being tested)

davidjh72 04-21-2007 08:38 AM

With SG2...

When I first start the car. I like to know how the engine is running when I start it up.
IGN-Timing
AIT-Air Intake Temp (what's the ambient temp now?)
FWT-Engine Coolant Temp (after sitting over night, AIT should match FWT)
(A "hot" topic at Saturnfans.com is the ECTS, engine coolant temp sensor. If AIT and FWT don't match at startup, there's a problem with one of those sensors)
VLT-Charging system voltage

Once I'm underway and the car is warmed up I'll switch to these settings most often:
MPG-Miles Per Gallon
TPS-Throttle Position
LOD-Engine Load
GPH-Gallons Per Hour

Keeping the throttle at the minimum required to maintain speed=lower LOD and GPH, while optimum MPG.

I think it was cleanmpg.com I read where somebody wants to get a Y-cable and connect two SG2's so 8 parameters can be viewed at once. Now that's a hardcore MPG aficionado!

LxMike 04-21-2007 10:46 AM

T.L rpm's
T.R mpg
BR. water temp
B.L inlet air temp.

this is what i currently use but thinking of changing some to diff ones. i have the rpm's there to check for steady throttle, but i can almost tell by looking at the mpg's reading . I keep water temp cause i don't trust the dash gauge.

trebuchet03 04-21-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidjh72 (Post 48462)
(A "hot" topic at Saturnfans.com is the ECTS, engine coolant temp sensor. If AIT and FWT don't match at startup, there's a problem with one of those sensors)

They still have problems with those sensors! I remember my 93 SW2 cracked it's coolant sensor because it was made of resin :thumbdown: The brass replacement never had problems though :thumbup:

ELF 04-21-2007 02:27 PM

Lets see... mostly on the trip/ current but switch to..instant sometimes.
mpg
water temp
gph
intake air temp.

I can't take the stress of watching instant mpg for very long.

kps 04-21-2007 03:34 PM

TL varies
TR mileage (L/100km)
BL intake air temperature
BR water temperature

I often have it on the current trip screen; I'll probably put that in the top left when an upgrade permits.

Peakster 04-21-2007 05:11 PM

MPG MPH
fWT GPH

MPG for obvious reasons
MPH because my car's speedometer's needle sometimes get stuck and shows incorrect speed (odometer still works fine though) I also like to do precisely 50mph or 45mph on the highway
GPH because I like to do a steady 0.4 GPH in the city

fWT usually, but sometimes RPM or fAI. I don't pay much attention to it really

diamondlarry 04-21-2007 07:20 PM

Since I fried my instument panel:o , I've went to MPH, RPM, MPG, and LOD. Sometimes I switch LOD to TPS.