Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Honda Fit beat out by Ford FOCUS? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/honda-fit-beat-out-by-ford-focus-4376.html)

Brian D. 04-25-2007 06:00 AM

Honda Fit beat out by Ford FOCUS?

I'm a bit upset. My father needed to replace his '95 Taurus (v6 3.8), so he went to the Honda dealership, looked at a Fit, and then a woman pulled up to the dealership in another Fit. When he asked her how she like it, she told him "ya know...small car, don't expect a lot"...yatta yatta. But then she tells him it has these BLIND SPOTS!? He figures 'to hell with it' and gives up after seeing an $18K pricetag on the civic. So he goes to Ford & buys the Focus. DAMN! Oh well. I think he picked the Focus up ('07) cheap enough at $13,5 (with a $2500 rebate they're now giving). I know they probably get somewhat halfway decent MPG, but I just hate to think of how in 1.5 years the Focus will be worth about $3,000.

Matt Timion 04-25-2007 06:26 AM

I haven't experienced a blind spot with the Fit, but I do think it's overpriced and has lower MPG than I expected.

Unless someone wants the utility of the Fit (very versatile) I'd recommend a Toyota Yaris over the Fit.

Bill in Houston 04-25-2007 06:50 AM

If purchase price is your main driver, you will almost never find yourself driving a Honda... That said, I hope the Focus is great for your Dad.

trebuchet03 04-25-2007 08:20 AM

The woman that pulled up to the dealership.... she didn't happen to be really short did she?

Brian D. 04-25-2007 09:33 AM

not sure on the height of her; I'll have to find out. As for the price point, I'm just figuring that percentage-wise, resale of the Honda would rule over that of the Ford.

Bill in Houston 04-25-2007 09:52 AM

Well, sure. After 100k miles the Ford will be ready for scrap, and the Honda will finally be broken in...

psyshack 04-25-2007 09:52 AM

The way to beat the Fords low resale price is to drive it untill the wheels fall off. Thats also the only way to beat Hondas to high sale price. Or Yota for that matter.

I myself either drive a car untill its spent ,,, or give it to somebody that really needs a car. I never pay for resale value. IE getting my Accord way under invoice and only paying $400 over invoice for the Civic.

I could over look the nasty dash in Yaris if it sold for $9K loaded. Fact is thats about all its worth.

There was a late model Focus doing real well at the last auto-x I went to. Imbarresed the Mini's and was right on the heels of CRX's, Si's and Teg's.

psy

Erdrick 04-25-2007 03:41 PM

Fit being beaten by a Focus. That is insane. What is even more insane though, is that your DAD took advice from a WOMAN about a car. Are you sure that it was your DAD that bought the car, and not your MOM? I mean, since when did guys start listening to chicks about automobiles? Utterlay flabergasted.

Looking at my friends Focus that he had driven for a couple years, I know that I will never be getting one. I had thought about a Fit, in Japan, but gave up on the idea because of the comparitively high price. In the long run it may be worth it, but I don't plan on living in Japan forever. In the end, the Vitz/Yaris seems like the best option. Hopefully I can pick one up when I return to the states next April.

VetteOwner 04-25-2007 03:48 PM

your dad sounds like my whole family: drive it till it blows/till a repair cost is more than the value of the car/ or you dont feel comforitable taking it on long trips. all in all you might as well, unless your one of those people who need a new car every 3 years then maybe resale value will be a factor.

MetroMPG 04-25-2007 04:00 PM

I am baffled by complaints about blind spots. Do people not know how to use their mirrors?