Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Camry hybrid (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/camry-hybrid-4382.html)

MetroMPG 04-25-2007 04:13 PM

Camry hybrid

The runner up was a 325i (?) sedan. The deal-maker was the new federal tax credit for efficient cars that made the Camry a little less expensive than the Bimmer.

Totally different cars. But they weren't comparing the two on the same criteria - they liked each car for different reasons.

The Camry will probably end up using roughly half as much fuel as the BMW, which gets my thumbs up.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

VetteOwner 04-25-2007 04:15 PM

aww i liek bmw's...

but congrads i guess?

zpiloto 04-25-2007 04:20 PM

I'd be interested in what kinda of mileage she gets. I wonder if it's going to be off as much as the Prius if you just drive it like a normal ICE. Is she interested in driving techniques? Metro I know you'll love it if you ever get some time in it.

MetroMPG 04-25-2007 04:24 PM

Nah, she's a point A to point B person. I don't think technique will be high on the priority list. Her husband on the other hand will enjoy playing with it. He's already admitted he spent far too much time looking at the various displays during the test drive :)

I certainly am curious to find out what it's capable of!

Hockey4mnhs 04-25-2007 05:02 PM

did you help convince them to fe or they are just like that? My dad thank me pretty often for talking him out of a new ford expedition to a new accord. the only sad thing is that he says "it gets good enough mileage" so he dosent have to try:(

MetroMPG 04-25-2007 05:19 PM

I might have had a tiny amount of influence. My bro in-law and I often yack about FE and the latest mods on the Blackflea. And he got a ScanGauge for their minivan after I got one.

EDIT: But he also readily admitted that "saving the universe" (e.g. good FE) was lower on their priority list than safety features and financial considerations (initial ones anyway).

MetroMPG 04-25-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 49134)
My dad thank me pretty often for talking him out of a new ford expedition to a new accord. the only sad thing is that he says "it gets good enough mileage" so he dosent have to try:(

Nice work. That's still, not a bad thing. If he'd bought the Extinction he might have said "the mileage is so awful there's no point in trying" :)

BumblingB 04-25-2007 05:51 PM

Ewwww, I HATE BMW's. Actually there is one thing I can't stand more than BMW's and that's BMW owners! People make fun about the smugness of hybrid owners. At least in my area, 9 out of 10 BMW drivers are nasty booty holes. Type A personality x 5! weaving in and out of traffic, riding peoples butts, throwing cigarette butts out the window, talking on the cell phone and I could go on and on.

Sunday I saw a lady driving a 740 with a laptop weaving like crazy. Took her forever to pass me on the vacant 2 lane road as I was driving the truck with a trailer. Let her pass and she kept on checking her email etc. Nuts!

Hockey4mnhs 04-25-2007 06:09 PM

hahahaha metro thats true about my dad

thisisntjared 04-25-2007 06:23 PM

i think she made the right move. bmw is not what it used to be. :(

MetroMPG 04-25-2007 06:26 PM

I should have added, the car she was driving was a '93 Camry hand-me-down from my dad. Starting to be afflicted by rust issues (body, fuel & brake lines, exhaust.. hmm just like the '93 ForkenSwift...)

Silveredwings 04-25-2007 06:35 PM

Yeah, those nasty BMW owners are all alike...

Hockey4mnhs 04-25-2007 07:06 PM

:) yeah just buy a audi

BumblingB 04-26-2007 06:16 PM

Remember I said 9 out of 10 (not everyone) in MY area, which is largely a military community where most of the BMW owners are military - a good chunk of military people also have a Type A personality.

Metro - Is this her first NEW car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 49146)
Yeah, those nasty BMW owners are all alike...

MetroMPG 04-27-2007 04:52 AM

Hmmm... no, I think her first new car was their Sienna minivan :) Couple or 3 years old.

MetroMPG 04-27-2007 05:28 PM

Bro in-law phoned this evening: he loves the car. Said the drive home from the dealership this afternoon was "the most fun I've had in a car at legal speeds". That's a great sign.

Of course he spent most of his time trying to EV it everwhere, so his FE wasn't great - around 6.8 L/100 km or about 35 mpg (US) in a mix of urban & freeway driving.

Its EPA rating is 43 city/37 highway.

I can hardly wait to go play with it.

MetroMPG 04-27-2007 05:32 PM

PS: SW, they were driving a rented 325 sedan this week.

The bro in-law said he also really liked driving it - but only when he was going fast :)

He also said he had a heck of a time filling it up when they went to return it today - pump clicked off a whole bunch of times. He said he'd read that was a quibble with this model.

zpiloto 04-27-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 49381)
Bro in-law phoned this evening: he loves the car. Said the drive home from the dealership this afternoon was "the most fun I've had in a car at legal speeds". That's a great sign.

Of course he spent most of his time trying to EV it everwhere, so his FE wasn't great - around 6.8 L/100 km or about 35 mpg (US) in a mix of urban & freeway driving.

Its EPA rating is 43 city/37 highway.

I can hardly wait to go play with it.

Sounds to me like the ex-driving instructor needs to do a little instruction. No fee of course.:D

MetroMPG 05-01-2007 12:02 PM

Played with the Camry today with my bro in-law. Fun, fun, fun.

Went to a quiet subdivision and tried to figure out how to P&G with it. They've got the base model, without the NAV video game feature, so there's only a small b&w LCD in the gauge cluster that shows energy flow (and a bunch of other stuff).

Trying to achieve "deadband" consistently (no energy flow to or from the battery) - ie. pure gliding - was very difficult. It would take quite a bit of practice to become sensitive enough to use the pedal to get that state on command.

Also, the thing doesn't have a "trip" FE meter! Toyota: that's just silly. Only current tank (and maybe also lifetime) is available. I guess you could stick a SG2 in it.

So I wasn't able to get a fuel consumption number for my driving. All I know is when we were done, the "eco meter" bar graph that graphically reports on the current trip was maxed out (on the good side). We didn't note the km's on the odo when starting out, so couldn't reliably back-calculate the FE from the change in the tank FE.

The car congratulated me when I shut it off: something like "Excellent!" appeared under the eco meter graph. :)

Oh - and it's a nice car too.

zpiloto 05-01-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 49791)
Played with the Camry today with my bro in-law. Fun, fun, fun.

Went to a quiet subdivision and tried to figure out how to P&G with it. They've got the base model, without the NAV video game feature, so there's only a small b&w LCD in the gauge cluster that shows energy flow (and a bunch of other stuff).

Trying to achieve "deadband" consistently (no energy flow to or from the battery) - ie. pure gliding - was very difficult. It would take quite a bit of practice to become sensitive enough to use the pedal to get that state on command.

Also, the thing doesn't have a "trip" FE meter! Toyota: that's just silly. Only current tank (and maybe also lifetime) is available. I guess you could stick a SG2 in it.

So I wasn't able to get a fuel consumption number for my driving. All I know is when we were done, the "eco meter" bar graph that graphically reports on the current trip was maxed out (on the good side). We didn't note the km's on the odo when starting out, so couldn't reliably back-calculate the FE from the change in the tank FE.

The car congratulated me when I shut it off: something like "Excellent!" appeared under the eco meter graph. :)

Oh - and it's a nice car too.

No trip FE is definately a bummer. Toyota dropped the ball on that one.:confused: The pedal is touchy but after a while you don't even think about it. How did the Brother-in-law do? I think you need to give him and sis some more lessons.:)

SVOboy 05-01-2007 01:23 PM

Mehbe toyota is scared of people doing what many did by saying "my prius only gets 45 mpg what!?!?" And therefore tries to tell them a good/bad without the numbers, which are a little less subjective...

MetroMPG 05-01-2007 01:35 PM

Lessons were minimal. He let me drive and observed. When we were done, he said: "I could never drive like that. I'd go crazy." or something to that effect :)

I'm hoping the bro in-law just overlooked the "trip" FE feature in the manual. It seems like such a big oversight.

zpiloto 05-01-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 49797)
Lessons were minimal. He let me drive and observed. When we were done, he said: "I could never drive like that. I'd go crazy." or something to that effect :)

I'm hoping the bro in-law just overlooked the "trip" FE feature in the manual. It seems like such a big oversight.

That's the way the Prius is. You have FE display but once you reset it that's it you lose the tank average:(

Bill in Houston 05-01-2007 06:13 PM

Also, no lifetime MPG like the Insight has. Had. Whatever.

FireEngineer 05-02-2007 04:23 AM

The Camry hybrid is VERY difficult to get into a glide compared to my Prius. Seems to be a common "fault".

Wayne

MetroMPG 05-02-2007 06:20 AM

Nice to get that comparison between the 2 cars Wayne. Thanks.

MetroMPG 05-03-2007 04:00 PM

Talked to the bro in-law today: He says he's been pegging the eco-meter on almost every drive since I last saw him. :thumbup:

He said the scale stops around 5.8 L/100 km, which means he's doing around 41 mpg (US) or better. And this is on the car's first tank of gas. The tires aren't even pumped up.

Bill in Houston 05-04-2007 05:22 AM

I was thinking that tires might be one of the big differences as far as getting the car to glide/deadband. Maybe with some extra air it would be easier.

MetroMPG 05-29-2007 06:52 PM

Spent about half an hour in the Camry today. My bro in-law found a nearly ideal "ring road" in a commercial area in Ottawa that permitted almost unmolested driving at P&G speeds.

We were able to squeeze 78.9 mpg (US) on this route from a warmed up car.

omgwtfbyobbq 05-29-2007 07:09 PM

How fast were you going? (avg)

atomicradish 05-29-2007 07:32 PM

BMW takes the cake. If I had the money to buy a BMW, FE would mean nothing to me. I'd drive the fastest car and burn the most fuel.

I'm only concerned about FE due to personal finances, not for environmental protection.

MetroMPG 05-30-2007 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 53318)
...upper/lower indicated P&G speeds as the Camry (55/25 km/h)...

---

Bro in-law says he doesn't regret not getting the BMW. Reason: you can have fun doing what the Camry does best all the time. If you do what the BMW does best all the time, you'll lose your licence. :)

omgwtfbyobbq 05-30-2007 10:46 AM

Heh, gotta add km/h to my searches next time. :o

thisisntjared 05-31-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 53337)
BMW takes the cake. If I had the money to buy a BMW, FE would mean nothing to me. I'd drive the fastest car and burn the most fuel.

I'm only concerned about FE due to personal finances, not for environmental protection.

...bmws are not the fastest cars by any means. as i said earlier, bmw is not what it used to be.

atomicradish 05-31-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 53941)
...bmws are not the fastest cars by any means. as i said earlier, bmw is not what it used to be.

True, but of those two it is.

thisisntjared 06-01-2007 04:32 PM

its a 325i. its really not fast at all, it just handles nicely.

MetroMPG 07-28-2007 07:22 AM

Did about a 1000 km trip with my sister in her Camry.

The tank there: about 6.1 L/100 km (37.9 mpg US), maybe 25&#37; urban / 75% freeway, into a light (<15 km/h) headwind, with A/C. Driving conservatively.