Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   So pill bottles don't make good PCV catch cans.... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/so-pill-bottles-dont-make-good-pcv-catch-cans-4391.html)

kwtorbe 04-26-2007 05:23 PM

So pill bottles don't make good PCV catch cans....

2 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I made a pill bottle PCV catch can. I used a small translucent orange pill bottle, 2 brass fittings from an old radiator, alittle tubing, and sealed it with silicone.

Today was my first time to drive with it on. I checked it after work and it looked fine. Then when I got home and checked it..... :eek: The bottle had been sucked in....I am pretty sure it is more due to the heat than the vacuum of my engine. (I tried to attach a picture)

Anyways just thought I'd share.... Next PCV catch can will be located further from the intake manifold and probably alittle bigger (I made it small because I didn't want to hurt the engine's vacuum but that doesn't make a whole lotta sense anyways....):rolleyes:

Hockey4mnhs 04-26-2007 06:09 PM

do those help fe at all i dont really get how they work eather

kwtorbe 04-26-2007 06:44 PM

I don't think they really help FE that much. I know they filter the oil vapors out of your Positive Crankcase Ventilation system so that you don't burn them in your engine. I think they help cut back pollution some and I know oil isn't good for combustion. I tried it because I think every little bit helps.

rh77 04-26-2007 06:54 PM

The Goal

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwtorbe (Post 49275)
I don't think they really help FE that much. I know they filter the oil vapors out of your Positive Crankcase Ventilation system so that you don't burn them in your engine. I think they help cut back pollution some and I know oil isn't good for combustion. I tried it because I think every little bit helps.

The goal is to keep the junk from collecting in the intake manifold, injectors, top-end parts, carbon buildup and other FE-robbing stuff. It's a preventative measure.

RH77

Hockey4mnhs 04-26-2007 07:09 PM

sweet ill show it to my mechanical friend maybe he can do it for me

GasSavers_Red 04-26-2007 08:00 PM

Heat probably softened it, and vacuum did it in

repete86 04-26-2007 08:04 PM

I haven't noticed a difference in my FE, but the car runs a little smoother now than it did a few months ago and has lower emissions, which is always worth the effort.

trebuchet03 04-26-2007 08:04 PM

Haha, the same thing happened to my water injection tank :p Heat + soft plastic + vacuum... not a good mix :p

eivad1 05-01-2007 06:49 PM

what does it mean when u are getting no oil in the can

Bill in Houston 05-01-2007 07:05 PM

No blowby. That is a good thing. But it seems like every car would have at least a little bit.

Or, your can is not working right. :-)