Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   REx-O-Saurus Lives! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/rex-o-saurus-lives-4432.html)

mrmad 04-30-2007 06:44 PM

REx-O-Saurus Lives!

So last week I posted my CRX HF was stolen and made a joke that when the thieves realized what they had they'd bring it back, well they sort of did. I got a call from the Police and when they gave the address, it was around the corner down a cul-de-sac. I could have walked there.

While talking to the officer, some kid came up and said he saw two white guys drop it off and they drove away in what he thought was a black Honda at about 7:00 AM. I reported it stolen at 5:30AM. I guess they took the car somewhere and realized it wasn't what they wanted (the HF emblem is missing) and brought it back. Who ever stole it could live somewhere close, because why you'd be so stupid to drive back to the neighborhood you stole it from a few hours ago is beyond me. From the mileage, they couldn't have driven it more then 10 miles.

Other then the driver's window knocked off the tracks and some damage to the ignition switch where they used a screwdriver on it (it still works), the car if fine. They did take the ashtray, the MFers, and my golf clubs, but since the clubs were hidden under a blanket, I don't think they knew they were there when they took the car.

Anyway, I'm happy to get it back. Now I can order my Megasquirt. And I'm definetely going to make the thing alot harder steal.

tom_eberhard 04-30-2007 06:46 PM

Wow you got your car back!! Sweet!!

GasSavers_Red 04-30-2007 07:29 PM

Congrats on the recovery mrmad

SVOboy 04-30-2007 07:59 PM

I'm glad to hear it. Sorry that it happened.

rh77 04-30-2007 08:25 PM

Nice

Well, it's a buggah that it had to happen -- but to get it back in pretty good condition has to be great. Congrats :thumbup:

RH77

Erdrick 05-01-2007 04:28 AM

Wow, unbelievable. I say that, although my dad had something similar happen to him. His turned up within a couple hours. That was back when minivans were hot. Drive one of those things today and you would have to GIVE the car away to a thief.

Congrats on getting it back though. Nice when things work out in the end. Well, it does suck about the golf clubs though. It sure lightened up your load though! Use clear tape for a window and you are good to go! You should see instant MPG increases!!!

Bill in Houston 05-01-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmad (Post 49733)
ignition switch where they used a screwdriver on it (it still works), .

Still works with the key, or just with a screwdriver? ;-)

Glad you got it back. Woulda been impossible to replace.

brucepick 05-01-2007 06:11 AM

Great that you got it back!

Here's what happened to my parents maybe 20 years ago. They live in a town with um, significant mob presence. Parked the Camry in the commuter train station parking lot. Wasn't there when they got back from work. About two weeks later it turned up parked at that lot, not near where they usually park it, essentially undamaged. They figured someone needed it for a job...

Brian D. 05-01-2007 06:11 AM

If you need a new ignition switch & key I can probably help you out. There's a junkyard about 1 mile from my house; he's very reasonable. He's always got hondas.

mrmad 05-01-2007 07:10 AM

So far the ignition switch is working fine with the key, so thanks. I'll definetly let you know if it should fall apart. I imagine if you got a big screwdriver you could start it, but then, that's what happened to begin with.

OdieTurbo 05-01-2007 07:19 AM

Yay! You got it back! It's always nice to get back what's been stolen.

JanGeo 05-01-2007 07:34 AM

Now the next question is did they TAKE ANY OF YOUR GAS?? Probably the more valuable thing in the gas LOL besides the clubs - check the local Golf Clubs and notify them that your clubs were stolen - they sound like local boys that stole your car and maybe you will get lucky and catch them selling your clubs.

mrmad 05-01-2007 08:19 AM

did they TAKE ANY OF YOUR GAS??

They probably drove it a maximum of 5-10 miles, if that. Judging by the inaccurate gas guage, I was on a record tank for mileage (for me anyway, it had 189 miles and 2/3 of a tank left) which will probably be near 48mpg, but we'll see.

eivad1 05-01-2007 10:00 AM

hey mrmad i live over in canyon lake, i got a hf, i went on a record breaking tank, i went to 300 when i hit the half way point, i strained it to the end i thought when i was at 500 on the tank, and being a 10 gallon tank and so below e mark i filled up and it showed 9.8 gallons. i think i could have gone another 50 miles or so, thats with filled up tires and acetone, and thinking about taking off the drivers side mirror if its legal and get a bigger inside mirror

mrmad 05-01-2007 10:22 AM

hey mrmad i live over in canyon lake, i got a hf, i went on a record breaking tank, i went to 300 when i hit the half way point, i strained it to the end i thought when i was at 500 on the tank, and being a 10 gallon tank and so below e mark i filled up and it showed 9.8 gallons. i think i could have gone another 50 miles or so, thats with filled up tires and acetone, and thinking about taking off the drivers side mirror if its legal and get a bigger inside mirror

That's some impressive mileage - how fast do you think you were averaging to get that kind of mileage? I was under the impression that the HF has a smaller tank (~8 gallons) then the standard CRX. I've only had the car acouple months and have been filling it when its near empty on the guage - it's never taken more then 7.5 gallons to fill.

SVOboy 05-01-2007 11:03 AM

10.6 in the HF, 11.9 in the dx and si.

MetroMPG 05-01-2007 11:30 AM

Nice to hear the story end well... or at least "ok" (golf clubs).

cfg83 05-01-2007 01:20 PM

mrmad -

So maybe now you can call yourself mrhappy?

You should totally "Get Smart" your car with layers of theft protection. Make it so that a thief has to go through X number of "firewalls" to get your car to work. By that time the thief will be in cuffs and heading off to the hoosegow.

CarloSW2

eivad1 05-01-2007 06:34 PM

65 on the frwy then when going where the border is n temecula going towards fallbrook i would coast going down the hill and then vice versa going back into temecula, i do shut off the car when coasting, so a few miles here n there, damn 215 people haul a.. but who cares, its my commute car, i take good care of it motor wise.

Bill in Houston 05-01-2007 07:07 PM

MrMad, it seems like you could make a fuel injector cutout one of your mods, and kill 2 bird with one stone. Easy EOC and harder to steal.

Hockey4mnhs 05-02-2007 03:24 PM

what kind of clubs where they?