Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hi, Honda Fit (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hi-honda-fit-4438.html)

GasSavers_jkandell 05-02-2007 03:08 AM

Hi, Honda Fit

I joined a bit back, but decided to say hello. Joined to learn ways to increase mileage in city driving on MT Honda Fit, especially the acceleration, shift issues. I bought the car after having to give up my "old school" vespa style scooter after being rear ended. I got 86 mpg on the scooter, so it's been very very hard for me to cut that more than half with the Fit, not to mention the "footprint". I like the Fit but it seems to have high rpm relative to other cars I see posted here. The US Fit doesn't use the 1.3 engine, and I'm still trying to figure out how the v-tec engine benefits FE rider like me. I don't own a SG and am not eager to acquire one: that would make FE too easy and take all the fun out of it. ;-)

Matt Timion 05-02-2007 05:52 AM

hey JK. I own a FIt too...

I agree that the transmission isn't "tall" enough. When my warranty is up I am thinking of rebuilding the transmission with taller 4th and 5th gears. Perhaps it would be nice to import the JDM 1.3L engine that they dont' offer here in the states.

Anyway, glad to have you here :)

GasSavers_jkandell 05-02-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 49851)
I agree that the transmission isn't "tall" enough.

Transmission's not tall, no sixth gear, and we don't have the double-spark-plug engine which burns super efficiently. Tuned to be "sporty", not FE. I think that's why many car reviewers prefer Fit to Yaris: they prefer pep over FE. And, while I'm complaining, an aerodynamic front matched with a drag-inducing rear. I heard the Asian Fit's even show you mpg like scangauge! Still, it's got one of the best mpg's for cars able to haul stuff. We shipped an Ikea queen sized bed, four dining room chairs, a metal mexican bench, and lots of other things in the rear cargo area.

Matt Timion 05-02-2007 10:00 AM

The Fit definitely has lots of room, which is one of the reasons we love it. It's very versatile and is the perfect "family" vehicle.

Still wish it had better FE.

pyramid_head 05-02-2007 10:24 AM

true. i wish it had more gas mileage, but it gets more than my 06 Matrix. the Matrix is too heavy for that 1.8L engine (2800 lbs curb), and that's one of the reasons why i can't get decent mpg. when i have 5 people in my car, you can hear the engine struggling even at 55 mph :( i really wish i had bought a Fit or a lighter car.

MorningGaser 05-02-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkandell (Post 49866)
Transmission's not tall, no sixth gear, and we don't have the double-spark-plug engine which burns super efficiently. Tuned to be "sporty", not FE. I think that's why many car reviewers prefer Fit to Yaris: they prefer pep over FE. And, while I'm complaining, an aerodynamic front matched with a drag-inducing rear. I heard the Asian Fit's even show you mpg like scangauge! Still, it's got one of the best mpg's for cars able to haul stuff. We shipped an Ikea queen sized bed, four dining room chairs, a metal mexican bench, and lots of other things in the rear cargo area.

Actually, the Yaris has better 0-60 then the Fit...and better MPG too...the Fit is about $2,000 - $2,500 more then a comparible Yaris, and a bit bigger then the Yaris....for MPG, acceleration, and lower cost, the Yaris is a better buy.

5spd5 05-02-2007 12:21 PM

Congrats on your Fit! I probably would've gotten one if I didn't need the extra space. I generally prefer Toyota to Honda, but I couldn't get over the Yaris' center mount gauges or overall bubble'ish styling :p

Hockey4mnhs 05-02-2007 01:24 PM

my dad wont by my mom a yaris because it has only 4 stars

MorningGaser 05-02-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spd5 (Post 49896)
Congrats on your Fit! I probably would've gotten one if I didn't need the extra space. I generally prefer Toyota to Honda, but I couldn't get over the Yaris' center mount gauges or overall bubble'ish styling :p

Yea, it took me some time to get use to the center gages...but the savings in $$ and not needing the more room of the Fit made me get the Yaris...as for quality, durability, either are great. For me it's just a get to work car...although these days I bike it in more often then not.

thisisntjared 05-02-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorningGaser (Post 49885)
Actually, the Yaris has better 0-60 then the Fit...and better MPG too...the Fit is about $2,000 - $2,500 more then a comparible Yaris, and a bit bigger then the Yaris....for MPG, acceleration, and lower cost, the Yaris is a better buy.

are you sure about that? what is the quickest factory fits 0-60 and the quickest factory yaris 0-60?

also what are the respective quarter mile times?