Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   cowl/air venting (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/cowl-air-venting-4458.html)

lca13 05-05-2007 05:54 AM

cowl/air venting

I want to increase the amount of vent air coming into the car at highway speeds, with the goal of avoiding air conditioning use.

Does this harm or hurt FE?

Hockey4mnhs 05-05-2007 07:55 AM

the main thing that huts fe on ac is that it has to power the compresser so since it dosent have to do this it would prolly help compaired to ac

lca13 05-05-2007 08:15 AM

So how about if I "REALLY" increase it.... like running a duct from the bumper through the firewall (and get it vented out the back into the low pressure area behind the car)? Help or hurt FE?

red91sit 05-08-2007 12:59 PM

oooh now your talking! I've been wanting to figure out a way to do this as well.

I have the same problem for intake air though. In the olden days, cowel air induction worked GREAT because it was much higher pressure. Nowadays there is only a very small pocket of stagnant air there that we're trying to get at, and it's just not working for me. I had a stoopid idea of putting a little scoop on the top of my cowl reaching into the attached flow area, hopefully that would ram plenty of air into my car, and with such a small frontal area, it shouldnt' contribute to drag. Taking air from the front of the car is another interesting idea as well. The only problems i could see would be heating of the air from going over the engine.

CoyoteX 05-08-2007 03:21 PM

how bout the old style vents cars used to have under the dash. They got their air from the wheel wells. There is a pretty good bit of pressure in there and would blow a lot of air into the car at speeds. It would also help reduce drag.

red91sit 05-08-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 50679)
They got their air from the cowl.

Yesh, i was thinking that air from the wheel wells would have been a VERY messy operation.

Snax 05-09-2007 06:06 AM

In some states, well Oregon at least, you are not required to have a windshield. All you have to have is the wipers!

Take that out as well as the rear glass and you have increased your airflow substantially and reduced your frontal area by a third or more!

I can see it now as the newest trend on here: Detachable front and rear glass. Imagine it, Metros topping 100 mpg.

Seriously, you know you want to try it. ;)

lca13 05-09-2007 11:37 AM

The idea on steroids: dramatically increase air flow from the frontal pressure zones into the interior and blow it out the back using electric duct fans, improving overall aerodynamics and adding 5, 10, 20 lbs of thrust in the process (for hella long engine off glides)

GasSavers_Red 05-09-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snax (Post 50729)
Take that out as well as the rear glass and you have increased your airflow substantially and reduced your frontal area by a third or more!

That sucks when ever you go faster than 20 mph.......

Snax 05-09-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 50764)
Oh for Pete's sake. If that volume of air is going through the car, then the interior also has a coefficient of drag!

That's why god invented coroplast!