Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   FINALLY! Decided on Kumho's: but 758 or 795 ?? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/finally-decided-on-kumhos-but-758-or-795-a-4491.html)

Brian D. 05-08-2007 08:17 AM

FINALLY! Decided on Kumho's: but 758 or 795 ??

I've finally narrowed my search down to Kumho Tires. Although I have the full set of 14-inch Miata BBS to mount these on, I may decide to use my CRX HF's stock 13-inch rims for the rear (since they're light enough and won't do anything to hinder rotational inertia anyway).

Here's my KUMHO problem. I know the A/S Touring 795's are LRR, but what about the Power Star 758's?? The reason I ask is because the 758 comes in a 175/70/14....I really like the sound of that. It's only 15 LBS, but still comes in a large enough size to throw my speedometer off (to boost my effective gearing ratio, since the overall diameter is larger than stock). This setup would make my aftermarket wheel/tire combination still a few LBS lighter than my stock HF setup on 13-inch rims.

For the rear I was thinking of getting the 155/80-13 KUMHO touring A/S 795. I like it's 44psi rating and 14 LB weight. Of course if the Power Star 758 can handle the 45psi that I plan to put in all 4 tires (regardless of rating), I can get that in a 155/80-13 for 13 LBS. Is that sidewall to large? What I mean is, with a sidewall that large, am I going to lose some diameter due to flex? Help!! I need to order these tires this week.

QDM 05-08-2007 08:56 AM

I would recommend using the same tires and wheels on all four corners so you can rotate them. Don't know anything about the 758s but the 795s are excellent tires, I use them on my Swift.

Q

Telco 05-18-2007 10:54 AM

795s are no longer available. I went to buy a set for my wife's Toyota minivan last Monday, nobody in town has them and the dealer where I bought my last set said there is a replacement due out in a month. Sucks, because those tires handled bad weather great and were far quieter than the Michelin Xs I replaced them with on my wife's Mercury minivan. The Michelin Xs were so noisy I pulled them off within 3000 miles. They are currently on my truck, unfortunately a week after the tires were put on the Mercury the van was totalled (wife's still hurt (whiplash) but will make a full recovery).

XFi 05-18-2007 01:33 PM

795s

I just got my set of 155/80r13 795s from Tire Rack two days ago. They did say that they were discontinued and supplies were limited...got 5 just in case one gets damaged (almost same price as the road hazzard which I decided against). Talk about super fast shipping!!! They were in my grubby little hands in less than 24 hours. :) Get'um while you can! Then again...the replacement tire may be even better.??

Got them mounted the other day on the VX rims, just got done putting them on. Will post feedback in regards to tires after I put some miles on them.

XFi 05-19-2007 07:56 AM

Don't have any MPG results, but Wow! at 45psi they roll/coast FAR! Also just got done installing my lowering springs...all ready for the new cycle of competition. Reminds me of my 145r12s I had on my XFi!

Telco 05-19-2007 11:24 AM

Cool, glad you could still get them. I'm waiting on the new ones. When I installed them on my Mercury I saw about a 1.5 to 2MPG improvement over the Michelin X tires I pulled off. I'm looking forward to those stupid X tires wearing out on the truck so I can slap something different on, the Michelin's only saving grace is they handle any weather well, from dry roads up to a foot of snow.