Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   What tips do you have for me? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/what-tips-do-you-have-for-me-4519.html)

CarNutCertified 05-11-2007 08:12 AM

What tips do you have for me?

Ok i saw the news last night about guys getting from 60-100mpg (www.kotv.com) and thought i would check into what i can do to increase my 20mpg jeep liberty. I have a 3.7liter 5speed manual, I am more of the horsepower to go faster heck with gas miliage type of guy. So what can i do to get better mpg out of my Jeep outside of parking it and driving my wife's Honda.

omgwtfbyobbq 05-11-2007 08:19 AM

Accelerate fast and cruise slow. Drive so you don't need to use the brakes as often. Coast in N, responsibly. You could even try to pulse and glide, but it's a newer car, so you may not want to do that.

kwtorbe 05-11-2007 08:36 AM

Drive slower and coasting is the name of the game. Aero mods help too. Maybe an underbody tray and grille block?.?.?

zpiloto 05-11-2007 08:40 AM

Welcome to the site. Poke around there is lots of good info. You can start here.

Bill in Houston 05-11-2007 10:02 AM

In my experience, listening to Linkin Park is baaaaad for my mileage. :-) Maybe listen to Harry Connick Jr or something...

GasSavers_Red 05-11-2007 02:33 PM

Welcome to the site :D

Whats the setup on your KJ?

GasSavers_Ryland 05-11-2007 08:39 PM

don't park it, sell it, it does you no good just sitting, but it still has a little value right now, of course that will drop fast the more gas prices go up, you would have been best off selling it a month ago, so you might be stuck with it, I'm sorry.
so in that case, you are not a race car drive, you most likely never will be, at least not in your jeep, so imagine that you are driving with your grandmother in the car, and that she doesn't like getting car sick, in otherwords, chill out, and enjoy the journey.

Hockey4mnhs 05-12-2007 10:49 AM

ya just gotta slow down. thats the first step that will really help. once u see a red light in the distance just coast it cost a lot of gas to fly up close then slam on the breaks real hard. Also i wouldent drive your jeep that fast anyways, my mom had one and 90 in that was so scary and cornering was insane. Once you get that off road tho it changes into anouter car i put that thing on 3 wheels up a wall once it did great. that gets me to my point i try to use my car for what it does well. my car is not fast and wont ever be so i drive it slow and get good mileage. goes the same with the jeep use it when its bad out to get threw all the bad stuff dont hot rod it around town for no reason.

CarNutCertified 05-15-2007 07:11 AM

Thank you for all he replies sorry it took me so long to get back the computer system was having internet issues. Ok i have started doing the whole slow down thing and coast to the light with it in Netural and doing the speed limit and not 80 in the 65.

Hockey4mnhs your right This libby becomes a whole new breed of animial in 4low and it doesnt do to bad in the corners. I like to play with the Honda boys. it being a 5sp helps me with weight distrobution.

Ryland don't park it, sell it ........

Can't right now sort of stuck with it but i love my off roading so its one of those things

Red Whats the setup on your KJ?
Thank you for the proper vehicle id...As far as setup:

2002 Sport 4x4
15" 15x8 5x4.5 Black ProComp series 51 wheels
29x10.5 STS TRXUS for offroad
Revos for hwy
CB mod
XM Sat. Radio
2 MTX 10" 8000 subs in a very large box
1200 watt alpine V-12 amp
dent in drivers side passenger door from duranged tree
https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062821

Bill in Houston In my experience, listening to Linkin Park is baaaaad for my mileage. :-) Maybe listen to Harry Connick Jr or something... Falling asleep is bad for the aero package...lol

omgwtfbyobbq "Accelerate fast and cruise slow.
You could even try to pulse and glide"
Wouldnt that be bad for mileage accelerating fast?
What is pulse and glide?

MetroMPG 05-15-2007 07:51 AM

omgwtfbyobbq is talking about short shifting. Accelerating under moderate/high load, but grabbing the next gear around 2500-3000 RPM (the best figure is engine-specific - can't give you exact advice).

Of course that technique only works if you do not have to stop again in the near future. Avoid the brake pedal like the plague. Doing so forces you to only use as much fuel as necessary to get you to your next stop. Not doing so means you're just converting gasoline into brake dust - not very efficient.

My first piece of advice would have been this: if you're truly serious about getting better mileage, get a ScanGauge. You need good fuel consumption feedback & the motivation it can provide, and the SG offers you both. It'll pay for itself many times over as it helps you modify your technique behind the wheel and form new habits that you will take with you to your next vehicle(s).

And welcome to the site! Hope you stick around and post your progress to the gas log.