Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Geo Metro 4X4? (added bigger wheels, now want fix ride height) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/geo-metro-4x4-added-bigger-wheels-now-want-fix-ride-height-4644.html)

minic6 05-27-2007 01:57 PM

Geo Metro 4X4? (added bigger wheels, now want fix ride height)

2 Attachment(s)
Finished installing 14" tires and wheels on the jelly bean. Went with complete struts from a 96 4dr with 1.3 engine for heavier springs. Thought this might help with bounce after cutting. As some have pointed out. Gained vented disc over solids too, plus as CoyoteX pointed out, (Thanks) 12mm studs were needed. Took his advice and drilled rear drums with new studs worked great.

As Blackfly pointed out on his site, pulling away is quite different and if the pic works it shows, it now sits to high. Please tell me again CoyoteX how easy it is to cut them. Little fear here, at least the originals are availabe. Had my wife set the cruise at 60 on the express way(in our comfortable Buick! yes I'm old!), my speedo is only off by 2 it's showing 58? It had been very accurate before the swap. According to calculators it should be way off, IF 3.51 was acheived from 4.1?? site used is https://wildcatent.freeyellow.com/zookmods/calc.htm

Original tires were 155 R12 76S Arizonian. New 175/65 14 Kumo

Yes the width is bigger and I wish it wasn't. Tire set at 44 psi. Doesn't seem to have affected coast down. Will know more about that with my regular commute. Would like to nail down the FD so a replacement speedo gear can be chosen.

One negative to this swap already is weight. Original tires 20lbs. New ones 34lbs. Anyone have a spare 13" that could weigh it for me? Took out the spare and jack, the tire won't fit anymore and fix a flat is a lot lighter!

JanGeo 05-27-2007 02:03 PM

WOW that sure is high up in the air - should give a nice ride compared to the stock springs that would bottom out on my 94 all the time on typical road bumps.

minic6 05-27-2007 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have a Celta at work which is an 07 version of the Geo, from Brazil. It has 14's so I knew it would work, handy thing to have around. Hope we have it for a while I'm curious as to it's final drive. They increased the wheel openings 2" over my geo. So the tires seem to fit better to the openings in a 94.

CoyoteX 05-27-2007 03:17 PM

I thought about putting 14s on my car but that is really high up in the air :)

If you have changed springs then you pretty much know everything there is to cutting them. You just have to take your time and don't cut a lot on each pass. I need to take pictures sometime and put a howto together on cutting metro springs since this seems to come up pretty regular.

minic6 05-27-2007 04:16 PM

Some had said they had a bouncy ride after cutting them. As to much stiffer no, donor car had over 100000 miles (but had brand new brakes) so it probably sits were it did new. Steering response is no different, height right now is a problem. Need to get brave and cut them. Still have originals if these don't pan out.
I'm sure not going to be running as fast through the traffic circles at work. Acceleration is different, not objectionable as blackfly stated on his veh. when he went to 3.5 ratio. At highway speeds it is fine. I would like to get the weight of a 13" because if you go by the difference from 12" to 14" and fit 13" in between. I would think it would really be 7 lbs a corner?

VetteOwner 05-27-2007 05:11 PM

oh and about your speed thing the buicks could be off too! its not the best way to tell if your spedo is off but it gives a good estimate (unles you were to do 2 runs, one how you had it before, and one after and compare the results)

minic6 05-27-2007 05:18 PM

I am totaly lacking expereince here and had to differ to others. Hopefully they will be shortened tommorow and I'll know. No one knows anything on figuring FD ratio? As to why it working the way it is?

GasSavers_TomO 05-27-2007 05:22 PM

wow, that is the equivalent of putting 17" wheels on a civic, lol. but anyways, now you can acquire "smoothy" hubcaps for cheap and tires for cheap. :thumbup:

minic6 05-27-2007 06:10 PM

They have just been ordered. Sold my 62 mini sat. sooooo........... 4 years ago 12" tires were $101 installed not anymore!!! Had a bent wheel and the cost of tires helped make my decision. Junkyards wanted a low of $25 each for 13". Got the steel 14" for $33 new from Discount tire. Tires were the same price either way.

minic6 05-28-2007 12:47 PM

UPDATE Cut springs well sort of. Fronts did not go very well. Tried Coyote X method and possibly because these are 4dr springs I could not get things lined back up. Bearing fell out and even with lots of grease and vise grips with a protective rag on the strut no go. So the stock struts and springs are back on the front. Ride is improved so stock springs will be cut when a spring comp. is available. Rears went great. To get a 2" drop if you measure from the A arm end of the spring cut 13.5" of or about 1 coil. Rides fine and tire fits wheel well much better. THE CLENCHER WAS CORRECT!