Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Allow me to introduce LoudRice (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/allow-me-to-introduce-loudrice-4685.html)

proletariandan 05-29-2007 09:34 PM

Allow me to introduce LoudRice

Hello all,

I recently decided to step up my environmentalism by trying to squeeze every extra MPG out of my admittedly selfish car (hopefully a diesel/scooter/etc is in my future) but so far I'm pretty impressed considering that it is Turbo/AWD and I got 25MPG on my last tank including an autocross. Still I'm not going to stop trying until I get close to 35MPG. Any tips are appreciated, any other Subarus out there?

Dan

Hockey4mnhs 05-29-2007 09:38 PM

my friend and i were just talking about his fe in his sti today. it will be intresting to see what you can get even tho it itsnt a sti its pretty close.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-29-2007 10:00 PM

with a turbo, you should be able to adjust the boost lower when you don't need it, in theory a low boost turbo engine is running more efficently then a non turbo engine, of course it's all in how you use it, and how much of the power being produced is being used, if you don't need power, why creat it?

repete86 05-29-2007 10:00 PM

You interested in rally? That's one of my little obsessions. Love the car, and there's definitely hope for it's mileage.

Silveredwings 05-29-2007 10:24 PM

My wife has an unmodified '05 N.A. 2.5L Saabaru with a stick. She gets between 30 and 32 mpg with some minor hypermiling techniques. That's ~45% above what EPA says it's supposed to get (20/27, 22 combined). You could probably get 35 or more if you put some quality time into it.

SVOboy 05-30-2007 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 53384)
Catless = reduced greenhouse gasses? :confused:

Might I suggest that if it really is "LoudRice" a better muffler is in order...

Yeah, but a cat on.

And welcome!

Snax 05-30-2007 05:36 AM

Staying out of the boost as much as possible is likely your best starting point. But doing that for very long can make one wonder why they have a sports car at all.

I had both an Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo (~400 HP and 2500lbs), and a more or less stock STi. If I got low 20's out of either car, it was an exceptional tank of gas. More often 15-16 mpg was the norm for both of them. Absolute power corrupts absolutely! :D

Now when I drive, it's our new mini-minivan, which just doesn't produce the same accerlation grins, so I don't even bother - but I still don't slow down for the corners much. It's quite impressive in the handling department.

Anyway, welcome and good luck.

boofighter 05-30-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 53398)
Yeah, but a cat on.

And welcome!

a turbo acts like a muffler for the car. all the exhaust noise has to go around the turbine and looses a lot of the energy that it would normally have. so a "cat" might not help as much as you think.
the new srt/4 neon had no muffler, just a cat. and it is no that loud.

SVOboy 05-30-2007 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boofighter (Post 53426)
a turbo acts like a muffler for the car. all the exhaust noise has to go around the turbine and looses a lot of the energy that it would normally have. so a "cat" might not help as much as you think.
the new srt/4 neon had no muffler, just a cat. and it is no that loud.

This isn't about noise levels...

boofighter 05-30-2007 07:21 AM

sorry svoboy. quoted the wrong person.