Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   bought a truck (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bought-a-truck-4839.html)

jwxr7 06-06-2007 05:58 AM

bought a truck

I sold my 89 s-15 2.5L 5spd and replaced it with a basic 2000 gmc sierra 1500. It has the 4.3 v6 and a 5 speed manual, it's 2wd long bed reg cab (max payload configuration for 1500). I plan to only used for hauling stuff, mostly firewood. I think it has promise for FE with it's tall gearing and low rpm torque, unfortunately the tank holds 35 gallons so it will cost an arm and a leg to fill the first time. It runs around 1700 rpms @ 60 mph and according to the original window sticker is rated for 23 mpg highway. In the end I hope to bring home more wood per gallon of gas;), and I think it will . Besides, my 89 was rusting off it's frame:( .

jwxr7 06-06-2007 06:07 AM

I think about making a Phil Knox inspired aero cover for the bed that can lift open for loading purposes. Maybe some disc hubcaps and a grill block too. As long as I can still haul 1 1/2 face cords of wood per trip:D .

CO ZX2 06-06-2007 06:24 AM

Whooee!!! Jamie has hit the big time. No more junkers. Red or blue?

If you get a ScanGauge for your truck, you will probably learn some things that will benefit you in the Geo. And you can tell how much fuel you are using without a $125 fill. Besides you don't want to be hauling around an extra 200# of gas.

jwxr7 06-06-2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 55378)
Whooee!!! Jamie has hit the big time. No more junkers. Red or blue?

If you get a ScanGauge for your truck, you will probably learn some things that will benefit you in the Geo. And you can tell how much fuel you are using without a $125 fill. Besides you don't want to be hauling around an extra 200# of gas.

It's white but may gain a blue fender soon:) . I bought it from my bro in-law and he crumpled a front fender and never got it fixed. I found a blue one in a junkyard that I'll probly get and may paint it white or not. ScanGauge is tempting, I could use it in my wife's thirsty taurus too.

Bill in Houston 06-06-2007 06:46 AM

Congrats. Sounds like a nice rig.

CO ZX2 06-06-2007 06:50 AM

Paint the fender, jamie. A lot easier to do while it is off the truck. And you will look and feel a whole lot better.

Did your bro-in-law ever check his mileage?

jwxr7 06-06-2007 07:11 AM

Thanks bill.

CO
I probably will paint it.... red:D , no really, I'll paint it white . Brother in-law said he never really checked the mpg because the tank took too much to fill.

SVOboy 06-06-2007 09:13 AM

Go for the phil knox style cap! We need a diy on that posted up! :)

VetteOwner 06-06-2007 12:39 PM

nice! personally with a truck that old and dilapidated (dont worry we have a car that soudns about like that) i woulda driven it till it blew, till soem kajor repair came along and then either junk it or sell it off to someone for a cheap price. but least you happy with what you got.

but one thing: i belive the disc hubcaps are going to do jack mpg wise.. since its a truck with high stance and big front end...

yea those are geared for tourque out the yang. mmm least you got manual :D i do like long beds tho. im looking for one for my s-10...

jwxr7 06-07-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

nice! personally with a truck that old and dilapidated (dont worry we have a car that soudns about like that) i woulda driven it till it blew, till soem kajor repair came along and then either junk it or sell it off to someone for a cheap price. but least you happy with what you got.
I just can never bring myself to junk my old vehicles. I usually just sell them cheap. I ended up getting some cash and my old yamaha maxim motorcycle back in a trade from a co-worker for it. The truck I sold had about 98000 miles on it so it would have taken a while to wear out the drivetrain. Much longer than the body and frame would hold up in michigan:( .
Quote:

but one thing: i belive the disc hubcaps are going to do jack mpg wise.. since its a truck with high stance and big front end...
Yeah, I would have trouble mounting them on my rims anyway. They are american racing alloys.