Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   1998 Civic Cx Or 1993 Civic Dx (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/1998-civic-cx-or-1993-civic-dx-4861.html)

panamacolin 06-07-2007 07:32 AM

1998 Civic Cx Or 1993 Civic Dx

Hi,
Sorry for posting multiple comparison threads. Yesterday I drove down to Orlando to see the civic HX that I was really excited about. I get there and everything that could be wrong with the car is, the o2 sensor is broken and CEL is on the, A/C does not blow cold. The tires are flat or low. The rear bumper is sagging. The inside trunk (the one by the gas cap opener) lock is broken. Anyways, I looked at the car for 10 minutes and left pissed off because I had driven 4 hours to see the car that the man promised me was in great shape and blew freezing cold air.

Now I just want reliable transportation in the 4 grand range. It has to be a honda either coupe or hatchback. I like hatchbacks more because I think they are utilitarian and I like to do outdoor stuff.

The Civic CX is 3900.00 firm low miles 85k private seller (not dealer) its silver and looks really clean I am going to talk to him later today. Are these good cars? I know they are barebones cars..

Then the 1993 Civic Dx is the cleanest civic I have seen of that era hands down, its been garaged and waxed and cleaned on a regular basis you could eat off the engine bay. The drivers seat has a rip in the right bolster but that is the majority of the damage to the car. The paint is amazing. The only thing that bothers me is the high mileage. It has 177k on it. He is asking 3100.00 for it but he is willing to negotiate. The other thing I am wondering is what kind of gas mileage do you get in a dx? Is it possible to swap a used VX tranny on to it?

Anyways please let me know what you know about either car and which you would go for...I would really like a VX but they are few and far between whats the next best choice.

Thanks again!

panamacolin 06-07-2007 07:43 AM

oh no...the 1998 doesn't have A/C so its out of the question...

GasSavers_TomO 06-07-2007 07:46 AM

My personal preference is for the 93 model dx. It's cheaper than the newer CX and you can swap in the VX/CX trans and get really good mileage from it. I wouldn't worry about the high mileage as long as the car drives fine and doesn't smoke much. I have over 330K miles on my VX and I drive it daily and take it on long trips without worry. If the 93 ends up rusting on you, I have a post that will link you to some super cheap priced repair panels.

It all comes down to your preference though, I don't like the looks of the tail lights and headlights of the 96+ Hatches.

panamacolin 06-07-2007 07:52 AM

what kind of mileage could I get with a VX tranny? Also how hard is it to install? Or does it just bolt right up to it?

GasSavers_TomO 06-07-2007 07:59 AM

I forget which members (there's two) that had DX Civics and swapped in a VX transmission (possibly search for VX trans Swap on here). They had great success with it, increasing their FE (can't remember exact numbers but it was worth it). The VX transmission will bolt up to any of the 92-95 Civic SOHC motors.

panamacolin 06-07-2007 08:24 AM

cool...maybe that is what I will do. Sounds pretty easy now if I could just locate a vx tranny...now time to start looking.

Maybe someone who has done it will chime in...

GasSavers_TomO 06-07-2007 08:31 AM

I believe that SVOboy or someone else on here has a VX trans sitting in their basement and might sell it.

panamacolin 06-07-2007 09:21 AM

cool thanks for the headz up!

Gary Palmer 06-07-2007 09:35 AM

SvOboy did have a VX tranny sitting in his basement.

On the one hand a four hour trip to check out a junk pile is a drag, on the other hand it was a lot cheaper than paying for it, having it shipped and then figuering out it was garbage.

Personally I'd get the CX. At 85,000 miles, if it looks good and he seems to have taken care of it, could be a good deal. As far as miles are concerned, if he's kept the oil change, it is hardly getting broken in.

I'd take a look in the oil fill hole and see what color the top of the head look like. If it is a sort of brassy/smokey color, then you've probably got a pretty solid jewel. If it's more black and gunky, then it is begging for a new motor and you should stay away.

Overall, I'd go with whatever your personal preference would be. Ultimately your the one who is going to be riding in it and either of them have good potential.

As far as the tranny swap, I don't think anyone on here who's done one, for mileage, has had any regrets about making the swap.

panamacolin 06-07-2007 11:09 AM

yeah im just wondering what sort of mpg increase people got with the vx tranny compared to the dx. Also do you loose startup speed with the vx tranny compared to the dx?

the cx I was looking at seemed like a good deal but it doesnt have an a/c in the car so its a no go I need a/c in florida!