Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Driver Ticketed for Using Biofuel (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/driver-ticketed-for-using-biofuel-4973.html)

Snax 06-13-2007 05:59 AM

Driver Ticketed for Using Biofuel

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/599471.html

One would hope other jurisdictions are taking the high road on this.

Hockey4mnhs 06-13-2007 06:04 AM

so much bs in there its hard to stand it

bbgobie 06-13-2007 06:47 AM

I'm confused after reading that. What types of people were they looking for? I didn't think there was that many RV's running on restaurant grease and soy bean to justify american tax paying dollars for a few uniformed people to look for it??

Matt Timion 06-13-2007 07:00 AM

that is completely ridiculous

Hockey4mnhs 06-13-2007 07:18 AM

i think they were looking for the red non highway fuel if you know what i talking about. it is not taxed and it is a bright red color. i dont know if it is even sold in the city but it is sold for sure out in the country for farmers and there tractors. it is a lot less and it polutes more

OdieTurbo 06-13-2007 07:52 AM

Holy f*ck! Note to self, never move to Charlotte. I'm with Matt. That's nuts! I wonder what they would have done had he been using Used Vegetable Oil???

CO ZX2 06-13-2007 08:51 AM

Ridiculous vs Fair.

As ridiculous and unfair as this newspaper report appears on the surface, there is more to the story. Maybe the publicity will prompt action.

Fuel taxes are(supposedly) used to finance building and maintaining both State and Federal Roads. Whether we agree with them or not is immaterial. The taxes exist and every gallon of fuel sold for use on State and Federal roads includes a substantial amount of taxes. Like hockey pointed out, agricultural and other non-highway users are allowed to buy fuel minus the taxes. With fuel prices the way they are, it's even more of a temptation for them to put this fuel in their highway vehicles.

I am in favor of some sort of exemption for self-made bio-fuel. But till this is approved and automatic, should the rest of the taxpaying public be paying the whole load while others pay nothing??

bbgobie 06-13-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 57214)

I am in favor of some sort of exemption for self-made bio-fuel. But till this is approved and automatic, should the rest of the taxpaying public be paying the whole load while others pay nothing??

Yes, to encourage improving the environment. Besides, he was taxed. He bought Soy oil in the store. I doubt every cent of your fuel tax goes to reparing the road. Its more likely used to finance other things which I wont mention to not get this thread off topic.

Silveredwings 06-13-2007 09:19 AM

I question the constitutionality of the infraction. If he doesn't buy gas or diesel how was he supposed to pay the taxes? They're taxes on fuel, not miles driven; otherwise we'd all be getting hit up for not buying 'enough' fuel. Better stop filling in your gaslogs: Big Brother is watching! Maybe you have to keep 2 sets of books. ;)

The penalty is for people who deliberately or egregiously evade taxes. Does he now have to prove his innocence? Can't they just send him a tax bill and be fair about it? Now he has to either pay an unjust fine, or pay lawyers and waste the court's time. Sheesh.

omgwtfbyobbq 06-13-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 57214)

The problem with this is putting it in practice. In most cases, I've heard that you can call up the state controller and they won't have an answer for you as to how to pay it. I think in this case, the person was an easy target because they probably ran their mouth off about it, and used a commercial product. If that had used VO or made biodiesel from VO it would have been in that fuzzy area of home made fuel.