Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   spotting fellow hypermilers on the road (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/spotting-fellow-hypermilers-on-the-road-5021.html)

bzipitidoo 06-15-2007 04:43 PM

spotting fellow hypermilers on the road

FE driving is so distinctive and unusual I figure that if there's another hypermiler on the same road, it'll be obvious. Anyone observed another person driving in a style that can't be anything other than hypermiling? I haven't. Sometimes a person yakking on the cellphone seems to act like a hypermiler the first few seconds you see them.

If a lot of people adopted hypermiling driving techniques, would that actually make it harder to drive right? I kind of depend on the jack rabbits to race up to red signal lights and trip them for me.

SVOboy 06-15-2007 04:45 PM

I think if people all drove more sensibly it would be easier to design traffic flow to increase FE...

This is something Japan is doing to meet Kyoto...

MnFocus 06-15-2007 04:51 PM

So far I haven't spotted any one *truly* hypermiling (unless you qualify the Aveo ,with its front bumper inches from a semi ,that passed me today . I'm guessing the pair were doing at least 80 mph - so by my definition = Nope)

Matt Timion 06-15-2007 05:23 PM

just spot a gassavers sticker on their window... BAM!

MnFocus 06-15-2007 05:45 PM

LOL Yup that'd be a dead give away for shore !

omgwtfbyobbq 06-15-2007 05:53 PM

Anyone going 55?

zpiloto 06-15-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 58466)
Anyone going 55?

Couple of week ago when gas was $ .20 more then now there were lots of cars in the right hand lane of the freeway at 60. Now I'm lonely again and those that stay with me are few and far between.:(

Fourthbean 06-15-2007 07:12 PM

Haven't noticed any on my drive. I did see a lime green insight with a 15 foot antenna on the roof... That thing was hauling though, sure wasn't trying to save any gas when I saw it. After thinking about it I did see a metro the other day, it was going 55-60 in the right lane, t'was an older gentleman. Might have been just cruising not wanting to go any faster for fear of his life though ;)

About the only time I find someone going the speed limit is if they are loaded down so far with something they are afraid of going any faster.

slurp812 06-15-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzipitidoo (Post 58454)
FE driving is so distinctive and unusual I figure that if there's another hypermiler on the same road, it'll be obvious. Anyone observed another person driving in a style that can't be anything other than hypermiling? I haven't. Sometimes a person yakking on the cellphone seems to act like a hypermiler the first few seconds you see them.

If a lot of people adopted hypermiling driving techniques, would that actually make it harder to drive right? I kind of depend on the jack rabbits to race up to red signal lights and trip them for me.

First, check to see if they're over ~80 years old, if not they're a hypermiler!
Well today, I could not see the person in the car in front of me, but they were going 50-55 mph on the highway which is slower that my usual 60 mph. So I followed them. it was pretty funny cause there was another car in there also, so it was us 3 doing 55 mph, and the rest of the highway was doing 70-75.

ma4t 06-15-2007 07:39 PM

DIY aero is a dead giveaway!

m