Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Are LEDs worth it? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/are-leds-worth-it-5056.html)

popimp 06-17-2007 04:10 PM

Are LEDs worth it?

I went to Auto Zone today and saw some LED's. They cost $16.99 for a red set of 3157 LED's. So are they really worth the cost or is it better just to change them when they go out with the OEM bulbs?

SVOboy 06-17-2007 04:18 PM

They have a faster response time for things like hitting the brakes, so they may we worth it. If you shop around you can prolly save a bit.

VetteOwner 06-17-2007 04:19 PM

well led's dont use as much current as a conventional bulb. most likely your turn signal flasher unit is load dependednt.(its why it flashes really fast if you got a light bulb burnt out) so you would either have to put load resistors in line withthe light circuit or you will have to buy an electronic flasher unit. but i highly doubt you wil see much if any mpg improvement... so after you spend $50 on bulbs and flashers lets just say your car will be a pile of dust in a scrap yard before the mpg saved would pay for it to make it worthwile..

MnFocus 06-17-2007 04:22 PM

I've bought them from here - yes is the answer to your Q .

For the prices they charge (even *with* shipping ) and the fact the led's will more than likely outlast the car ,yes , yes they are worth it .

ma4t 06-17-2007 05:03 PM

Just read an article in a trade paper quite a while ago about how many auto companies are switching to LED's for break lights.

Advantages:
1. Last longer
2. Light up faster
3. Take less juice

I don't remember the source, but a quick google search turned up an almost identical article.
https://www.nature.com/nphoton/journa...n.2006.31.html
Their conclusion:
Quote:

To conclude, over the course of the next 5?10 years it is likely that LEDs will power virtually every lighting application on vehicles with car makers increasingly embracing the benefits of their small size, high efficiency and long lifespan.

MnFocus 06-17-2007 05:09 PM

Might add that it's probably not worth doing a full retrofit *until* you need to replace a standard bulb(s) . At that time it makes sense .

bzipitidoo 06-17-2007 05:26 PM

Just guessing, but this is what I think.

At today's prices, LED headlights, if any existed, just might improve FE enough to be worth it. Depends how much night driving you do. Maybe park lights, license plate lights, and dash lights are worth it.

Brakes, blinkers, reverse, and warning lights on the dash are used so infrequently I can't see them making any significant difference in FE.

But FE isn't the only reason. LEDs have at least 4 other advantages: they don't get hot like incandescents do, they last longer, they are even better at taking jolts and vibrations, and they operate faster. I've had enough cheapo plastic dome light covers, surrounding plastics mountings and housings, and sockets and wire insulation turn brittle from the heat that I feel LEDs are well worth it for that. Nice also being able to handle them without getting burned. Longer lasting is also very nice for those lights buried deep in the dash that are a huge pain to get at. Jolts and faster operation, nice, but no big deal. And the minuscule improvement in FE is nice too.

MnFocus 06-17-2007 05:28 PM

There are a few custom led headlight options available . Cant recall where or from who - but they are out there and they are Nice !

mpg_maniac 06-17-2007 05:33 PM

What about day-time running lights? Would they be worth it to change b4 they go bad?

MnFocus 06-17-2007 05:40 PM

I've seen a few owners that have totally replaced the 'city' light in their Euro style lamps with an led . I've personally never had that option of luxury . I believe on quite a few cars DRL's are just a standard bulb but at a lower power . Again never had the option of DRL's either . It's kind of false economy to replace a bulb that isn't bad though don't ya think ?