Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Low power consumption cd player (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/low-power-consumption-cd-player-5101.html)

mji988 06-19-2007 10:06 PM

Low power consumption cd player

I'm looking to get a cd player for my crx hf. Since my car only has 60 hp, I think choosing a high power consuming cd player could effect my gas economy. Does anybody know which brands and models are generally more efficient and consume the least amount of power? I know players with built in mosfet amplifiers reduce power consumption, but that is about all I know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

VetteOwner 06-20-2007 11:22 AM

.... cd players consume way less than an amp... if you keep the volume levels down and dont get subs you wont have to wory about power consumption... i have a Aiwa headunit in my car that only has 67 rwhp and even cranked it doesnt affect anything...even at idle...

GasSavers_Ryland 06-21-2007 11:29 PM

well, you can alwas pick up a clamp on DC amp meter, and walk in to the store and ask to pull them out a little from the display so you can clamp around the power wire, the meter never intrudes on any wiring and gives you a real amp draw.

Hockey4mnhs 06-21-2007 11:48 PM

hmmm how much would one of those cost?

VetteOwner 06-22-2007 09:13 PM

lol not worth the cost to see that most of those clamp on meetrs cant read low amps. thier ment for power lines and industrial settings. cd players do not draw crap for amps! its in the mili amps!

but if it still bothers you, look for one that is like 45wats per channel or whatnot. the cd player part itself is very minimal (ever notice how a portabe cd player is the exact same thing yet runs off 2 batteries? the only difference between a car headunit and a portable is the power amplifier circuit. the lower the power output, generally the lower the input signal is but it will sounds kinda crappy. (its why stock headunits suck for loud volumes compared to a decent aftermaket unit)

but dont get those cheapo $40 ones. we had one and it sucked every bump it would skip and it would channel fade with temperature changes...

GasSavers_Ryland 06-24-2007 08:13 PM

my clamp on DC amp meter cost around $25 (ebay), and will read 1/10 amp increments, altho it has to have it's zero reset manualy, I used it just yesterday to check how much my phone charger uses when pluged in to the ligher plug, half an amp (6 watts) for an iGo universal charger (radio shack), I forgot to check what it draws when the phone is't pluged in, as I got distracted.

bobc455 06-25-2007 03:29 AM

It might help your FE more if you try to find the lowest weight CD player.

-Bob C.

VetteOwner 06-25-2007 01:39 PM

lol that would be leaving the cassette deck in there and get a portable cd player adapter...

GasSavers_Ryland 06-26-2007 07:26 AM

tape players tend to draw more then CD players, as they have a larger motor, and more moving parts, with a CD player look for fewer lights on the front, and a smaller amp.
I'm not sure if car radios have information stickers on the back side of them or not, I suspect not, but it might be worth a look.

VetteOwner 06-26-2007 07:32 AM

usually no. i looked at 3 different ones i have in my room. most cd players today use LED's so your in the clear there.

cheapest easiest lowest power consuming thing would be find a stock cd player out of a car that used the same radio as your current one. or find the lowest wattage per channel. (it will sound like crap at middle to high volumes tho)