Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   I hate my Civic (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/i-hate-my-civic-5140.html)

lovemysan 06-27-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96hb (Post 60977)
Perhaps your expectations are too far out of whack? You claim to consistently get high 40's low 50's mpg. What more do you want? You are already well above what the car is supposed to do. Be grateful, or get rid of it and buy a manual tranny. That is all. The whining is getting to be a bit much.

He wants consistency! Honda reliability and honda fit and finish. Honda price should equal honda quality. He has a right to feel ripped off because in a few ways he has been. Honda's transmission issues run deeper than you think. Civics are not immune. More than half there product line gets the black dot for transmission from consumer reports 2000-2004.

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ission+failure

ma4t 06-27-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 61042)
He wants consistency! Honda reliability and honda fit and finish. Honda price should equal honda quality. He has a right to feel ripped off because in a few ways he has been. Honda's transmission issues run deeper than you think. Civics are not immune. More than half there product line gets the black dot for transmission from consumer reports 2000-2004.

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ission+failure

That's more than reasonable. If our TSX were giving us the same trouble, after what we're paying, I'd be steaming mad. I guess we got lucky.

m

slurp812 06-27-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 60940)
I guess my beef with honda is you pay honda price you should get honda reliability, not orphaned transmissions.

We always drove what we could get cheap and we fixed them as they broke. I say some american cars are bargains. Like the saturn S-series.

The manuals are always batter, I know it sucks, but even lowly accord auto trannies sucked...

rh77 06-27-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma4t (Post 61050)
That's more than reasonable. If our TSX were giving us the same trouble, after what we're paying, I'd be steaming mad. I guess we got lucky.

m

Same here -- the only trouble has been a sticking sunroof (IIRC around 25K miles so far). A big selling point was the 4-cylinder (had to have the 5-speed auto for the auto-only driver in the house :rolleyes:)

I've had fewer problems with Honda/Acura than each of Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Plymouth, Nissan, and Mitsubishi. So far, we've had 5 Honda/Acuras with minimal problems. They've earned our trust with 4-cylinder vehicles. If I bought a new Civic and had several warranty issues, the disconnect between the past experience and present would sure be an unpleasant surprise.

RH77

96hb 06-28-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyshack (Post 61031)
Have you driven a 8th gen Civic yet? Have you bought a Honda and the list of warranty issues Ive had? Have you even pushed your current ride or any other car as hard as Ive pushed this one? Have you not noticed what I do like about the car? I think you need to go to another thread! Fanboy

psy

Nope. Don't like the 8th gen. Got a 6th gen myself and everything is lovely with it. Looks good, killer mileage, and if/when I decide to throw FE out the window, I can slap on a turbo kit, get it tuned, and run 12's. Honda engineering....it's a beautiful thing! :cool:

lovemysan 06-28-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96hb (Post 61107)
Nope. Don't like the 8th gen. Got a 6th gen myself and everything is lovely with it. Looks good, killer mileage, and if/when I decide to throw FE out the window, I can slap on a turbo kit, get it tuned, and run 12's. Honda engineering....it's a beautiful thing! :cool:

Unfortunately it ain't what it used to be. 6th gen civic is a great car but they don't make them anymore. My brothers 93 civic ex had seats made from recycled card board(my only complaint). Its a cruel world out there and detroit gets better everyday. The vast majority of the masses drive automatic cars and honda's not going to last by selling paper mache transmissions.

lovemysan 06-28-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 60974)
lol i know the 2.2L will last forever! i have 137,000 on my 95 s-10 with a 2.2L and i have done absolutely nothing to it. only thing was starter but those can go out on anyhting:D all ive done to my truck for the past 3 years was regular oil changes. started up in -20*F weather starts up now in 90+*F humid weather.

lots of people in a forum for s-series i belong to have 100K trouble free miles, alot have over 200K miles and a few even have 300K with mostly basic maintinince. :D

Way back in 02 I could have bought an 01 2.2 with 8k miles for $450. I didn't and I'm glad, what would I have needed it for.

96hb 06-28-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 61137)
Unfortunately it ain't what it used to be. 6th gen civic is a great car but they don't make them anymore. My brothers 93 civic ex had seats made from recycled card board(my only complaint). Its a cruel world out there and detroit gets better everyday. The vast majority of the masses drive automatic cars and honda's not going to last by selling paper mache transmissions.

Well of course they don't make them anymore, that's why you go buy a used one. Great car and no car payments FTW! :thumbup:

VetteOwner 06-28-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 61138)
Way back in 02 I could have bought an 01 2.2 with 8k miles for $450. I didn't and I'm glad, what would I have needed it for.

its come in quiet handy. i get 26 mpg (prolly nore now just "fixed" a leaky/malfunctioning egr valve and my mpg has shot up. 304 miles and still between 1/2 and 3/4 :D ) but the 98+ ones (gm made a head change and cam change that increased the mpg by about 5mpg or so yet kept the same power) people have seen anywhere from 30-38 mpg on interstate and im sure they werent even trying besides goign about 65-70mph:D damn good for a pickup i might say:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i do use mine tho. i have to haul/tow a trailer full of lawnmowing stuff:)