Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   clutch problem VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/clutch-problem-vx-5159.html)

McPatrick 06-23-2007 09:36 AM

clutch problem VX

The VX I just bought has a problem with the clutch system. If I am at pretty low speed (usally just before stopping) and I happen to have my foot lightly touch the clutch pedal it will go down all the way to the floor by itself and be stuck there untill I force it to go up again by wedging my foot behind it and bringing it up.
A friend of mine did a major tune up on the VX yesterday and we also tried to fix that issue by bleeding the slave cylinder some hoping it was just some air in the line. The problem still exists after doing that though.
Any suggestions what it could be? Would replacing the clutch slave cylinder be thing to do?

Bill in Houston 06-23-2007 11:26 AM

Master or slave, it sounds like. Not sure which it would be.

VetteOwner 06-23-2007 01:19 PM

hmm is there enough fluid? kink in the line? hole in the line?

McPatrick 06-23-2007 01:23 PM

No, the lines look good as far as I can tell by visual inspection. Also I was told by the former owner that it had a new master cylinder and it does look new (Nissin brand). The slave cylinder is definately old looking, so maybe I should just go ahead and replace that (or more like have my friend replace it :) )

cems70 06-23-2007 06:51 PM

Are you sure you bled the slave cylinder enough? Sure sounds like air is is still in the line.

GasSavers_TomO 06-23-2007 06:57 PM

Those systems take about 20 minutes of bleeding by the "usual" means of bleeding. ie. Push clutch down, open bleeder, close bleeder, let up on clutch. Best/fastest way to do it is to get a Mightyvac or any hand held vacuum pump and hook it up to the open bleeder and suck out all the old fluid.

McPatrick 06-23-2007 07:30 PM

I looked that Mightyvac up and the cost isn't too bad. What would be a step for step procedure to use it? Or are there some instructions online somewhere?

88HF 06-24-2007 03:38 PM

they come with the mightyvac, I bought mine at autozone.

GasSavers_Ryland 06-24-2007 08:00 PM

I use a vaccum pump, and it's easy! get a new bottle of brake fluid and top off the resivor (the smaller of the two, the large one is for the brakes) open up the blead screw on the slave cylender (the one on the tranny that operates the clutch) find a rubber end that fits the bleader nice and snug, and hook it up to the vaccum pump, start pumping, you should see some fluid and air coming thru the clear hose, after every pump check the resivor to make sure you aren't low on fluid, you should get a nice flow of clean fluid without dirt or air, when this happens you are done, close everything off, and top off the fluid again.
it is most likely going to be cheaper to get a slave cylender rebuild kit, rather then a whole new slave, I think you need a snap ring pliers, some clean rages, and some brake fluid to wash things off with, and a scotch brite pad to scoure the inside parts with, I cleaned mine up without a rebuild kit and it works much much better now, alot easier to operate the clutch.

VetteOwner 06-25-2007 01:41 PM

just be careful with brake fluid! takes paint off like no other...