Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Cars you're hoping to get (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/cars-youre-hoping-to-get-5190.html)

atomicradish 06-26-2007 11:41 AM

Cars you're hoping to get

What kind of car are you realistically hoping to get in the next few years? I'm hoping to ditch the Metro, and hopefully fix up my Vision (someday), but I'd like to get a more reliable car in the next few years to make the 6 hour journey between home and college.

I have 3 cars in mind right now.

Subaru Impreza WRX
Mazda3
Volvo S60

The s60 is at the top of my list, but it is also the most expensive (even going back to '01 when they first were made). So because of that I think I would most likely end up getting an early 2000's model Impreza.

Anyone have experience with any of these 3? I didn't take FE into consideration when picking these out. The drive is far enough that I wouldn't trust any of these cheapy econoboxes to make it regularly, and a hybrid is rather expensive.

Feel free to share whatever cars you're hoping to get too.

Peakster 06-26-2007 12:24 PM

What dreams may come...

Mmm... an Impreza WRX. Nice choice.

I always have a broad list of vehicles that spark my interest when getting a new car (well, new to me). Here's a current list that gets my jugular going:

Top three:

1). 2001 - 2003 Saturn SC2 - A quick car similar to my old Fiero as it has the rust-proof panels. No mid-engine fun though. ~$8,000

2). Any Mazda Miata - finding an affordable one is tricky. I test drove one last year and fell in love with the car's handling and style. ~$7,000

3). 1997+ Porsche Boxter - The ultimate "Landon Car". Beautiful, modern, mid-engined car that's also a convertible and half-decent on gas. Extraodinarily pricey in Canada, but buying one in the USA is always an option. Very little depreciation. ~$13,000 if bought in the USA

Other viable options:

4). 1985 - 88 Pontiac Fiero - I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if it was in good condition and reasonably priced. ~$3,000

5). 1997 - 2004 Ford Mustang (V6) - nice car, but would probably prove to be hell in the winter due to rear-wheel drive. ~$8,000

6). mid 80s Honda Prelude - a hot looking car in my eyes. Relatively pricey in my parts, and finding one in good condition is difficult. ~$3,000

7.) mid 80s+ Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Laser - nice car with decent aerodynmics. ~$2,500

8). 2004 - 06 Chevrolet Epica LT - very nice luxury car that wasn't available in the USA. Not inspiring in the FE department considering the engine is only a 2.5L six, but the used prices have dropped considerably with this model. Could become rare in the future. ~$10,000

9). A smart car - Fun, quirky and amazing on fuel. Expensive used prices though. ~$15,000

10). A late 90s Mitsubishi Eclipse - very attractive vehicle, but still very expensive used prices considering a dual-cam Saturn is just as fast. ~$13,000

11). A late 90s Volkwagen Jetta Diesel - great MPG and nicely equipped. Probably not the kind of fun I'm looking for though. Low depreciation. ~$10,000

12) 2003 + Hyundai Tiburon - very sporty looking vehicle. Still questioning if a V6 would be worth the extra money and gas spent. ~$12,000

And if all else fails:

13). Save my money and keep driving the Geo. It really doesn't owe me anything.

The way I see it unless I buy a car I absolutely fall in love with (and not get bored with it in 6 months) I may as well just drive the Geo. It's really not worth selling and if I do buy another car, I'll keep the Geo just in case gas hit unbearble highs again. The 3 cylinder engine just never seems to quit!

GasSavers_DaX 06-26-2007 12:48 PM

I want to get a 2007 Honda Fit (manual) in about 4-5 years when they come down in cost. It's a great four door vehicle. Actually, it will be my wife's car, because I've had the most recent "new" (at least to us) vehicle.

If I were to get another vehicle, I *really* want a 88-91 Civic Wagovan, and I *REALLY* want an RT4. :)

Bill in Houston 06-26-2007 12:52 PM

A 5-speed MT hybrid Element with the current I4 in an Atkinson cycle configuration.

atomicradish 06-26-2007 01:21 PM

I like your list Peakster.

I know someone who got a white Miata for $3500. I believe it was a 1995 model.

If I were going to get an older model convertible, I think I would buy a Civic Del Sol before a Miata.

Peakster 06-26-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60830)
I know someone who got a white Miata for $3500. I believe it was a 1995 model.

:eek: Are you serious?! The cheapest one in Saskatchewan is like $6500 for a 1991 model, before taxes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60830)
If I were going to get an older model convertible, I think I would buy a Civic Del Sol before a Miata.

The Del Sols do intrigue me, but I haven't seen a soft-top version yet. What do you like best about them?

atomicradish 06-26-2007 02:32 PM

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda...26200977QQrdZ1

Buy it now for only $3500. It is a 91 model. Where I live cars are a bit cheaper, so I'm sure you could easily find a mid 90s for the same price.

I just like the styling better on the Del Sol. They're a lot more sporty looking. Plus you have the reliability of a Honda as well.

I wouldn't mind having a Metro convertible either though.

GasSavers_Antoine 06-26-2007 03:13 PM

Cars I am hoping to get :

Cleanova 3
Smart hybrid ( dsl/electr.)

VetteOwner 06-26-2007 03:35 PM

hmm well seeing as both my cars will prolyl last for another 10 years.. it may be a while.

but id love to get the new VW truck when/if it comes out

it would really be up to the tranny. i will not even consider buying an automatic. too damn boring to drive...

a first generation long bed s-10 with the ol iron duke engine might be nice...

ma4t 06-26-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60820)
What kind of car are you realistically hoping to get in the next few years? I'm hoping to ditch the Metro, and hopefully fix up my Vision (someday), but I'd like to get a more reliable car in the next few years to make the 6 hour journey between home and college.

I have 3 cars in mind right now.

Subaru Impreza WRX
Mazda3
Volvo S60

The s60 is at the top of my list, but it is also the most expensive (even going back to '01 when they first were made). So because of that I think I would most likely end up getting an early 2000's model Impreza.

Anyone have experience with any of these 3? I didn't take FE into consideration when picking these out. The drive is far enough that I wouldn't trust any of these cheapy econoboxes to make it regularly, and a hybrid is rather expensive.

Feel free to share whatever cars you're hoping to get too.

Had the WRX STi when I lived in Japan. Loved it. My wife hated it. It was wicked fast and the only cars that I really feared were the Evo and the GT-R. I could keep up with any Evo, and most of the amateur GT-R drivers, but if they had any mods they smoked me. We graduated to a BMW. It cost less but gave me a LOT more status.

Next car will be an X3. Have driven one and loved it. I was a bit apprehensive about a BMW SUV, but we've driven our neighbor's X3, and it's just as fun if not better than a 3 series (have had two of those).

Anyway, I'm a tourist to hypermiling. I've just graduated law school and when my income jumps to 6 figures I will probably become a typical American. But right now, hypermiling is my religion.

m