Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Cars you're hoping to get (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/cars-youre-hoping-to-get-5190.html)

atomicradish 06-26-2007 11:41 AM

Cars you're hoping to get

What kind of car are you realistically hoping to get in the next few years? I'm hoping to ditch the Metro, and hopefully fix up my Vision (someday), but I'd like to get a more reliable car in the next few years to make the 6 hour journey between home and college.

I have 3 cars in mind right now.

Subaru Impreza WRX
Mazda3
Volvo S60

The s60 is at the top of my list, but it is also the most expensive (even going back to '01 when they first were made). So because of that I think I would most likely end up getting an early 2000's model Impreza.

Anyone have experience with any of these 3? I didn't take FE into consideration when picking these out. The drive is far enough that I wouldn't trust any of these cheapy econoboxes to make it regularly, and a hybrid is rather expensive.

Feel free to share whatever cars you're hoping to get too.

Peakster 06-26-2007 12:24 PM

What dreams may come...

Mmm... an Impreza WRX. Nice choice.

I always have a broad list of vehicles that spark my interest when getting a new car (well, new to me). Here's a current list that gets my jugular going:

Top three:

1). 2001 - 2003 Saturn SC2 - A quick car similar to my old Fiero as it has the rust-proof panels. No mid-engine fun though. ~$8,000

2). Any Mazda Miata - finding an affordable one is tricky. I test drove one last year and fell in love with the car's handling and style. ~$7,000

3). 1997+ Porsche Boxter - The ultimate "Landon Car". Beautiful, modern, mid-engined car that's also a convertible and half-decent on gas. Extraodinarily pricey in Canada, but buying one in the USA is always an option. Very little depreciation. ~$13,000 if bought in the USA

Other viable options:

4). 1985 - 88 Pontiac Fiero - I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if it was in good condition and reasonably priced. ~$3,000

5). 1997 - 2004 Ford Mustang (V6) - nice car, but would probably prove to be hell in the winter due to rear-wheel drive. ~$8,000

6). mid 80s Honda Prelude - a hot looking car in my eyes. Relatively pricey in my parts, and finding one in good condition is difficult. ~$3,000

7.) mid 80s+ Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Laser - nice car with decent aerodynmics. ~$2,500

8). 2004 - 06 Chevrolet Epica LT - very nice luxury car that wasn't available in the USA. Not inspiring in the FE department considering the engine is only a 2.5L six, but the used prices have dropped considerably with this model. Could become rare in the future. ~$10,000

9). A smart car - Fun, quirky and amazing on fuel. Expensive used prices though. ~$15,000

10). A late 90s Mitsubishi Eclipse - very attractive vehicle, but still very expensive used prices considering a dual-cam Saturn is just as fast. ~$13,000

11). A late 90s Volkwagen Jetta Diesel - great MPG and nicely equipped. Probably not the kind of fun I'm looking for though. Low depreciation. ~$10,000

12) 2003 + Hyundai Tiburon - very sporty looking vehicle. Still questioning if a V6 would be worth the extra money and gas spent. ~$12,000

And if all else fails:

13). Save my money and keep driving the Geo. It really doesn't owe me anything.

The way I see it unless I buy a car I absolutely fall in love with (and not get bored with it in 6 months) I may as well just drive the Geo. It's really not worth selling and if I do buy another car, I'll keep the Geo just in case gas hit unbearble highs again. The 3 cylinder engine just never seems to quit!

GasSavers_DaX 06-26-2007 12:48 PM

I want to get a 2007 Honda Fit (manual) in about 4-5 years when they come down in cost. It's a great four door vehicle. Actually, it will be my wife's car, because I've had the most recent "new" (at least to us) vehicle.

If I were to get another vehicle, I *really* want a 88-91 Civic Wagovan, and I *REALLY* want an RT4. :)

Bill in Houston 06-26-2007 12:52 PM

A 5-speed MT hybrid Element with the current I4 in an Atkinson cycle configuration.

atomicradish 06-26-2007 01:21 PM

I like your list Peakster.

I know someone who got a white Miata for $3500. I believe it was a 1995 model.

If I were going to get an older model convertible, I think I would buy a Civic Del Sol before a Miata.

Peakster 06-26-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60830)
I know someone who got a white Miata for $3500. I believe it was a 1995 model.

:eek: Are you serious?! The cheapest one in Saskatchewan is like $6500 for a 1991 model, before taxes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60830)
If I were going to get an older model convertible, I think I would buy a Civic Del Sol before a Miata.

The Del Sols do intrigue me, but I haven't seen a soft-top version yet. What do you like best about them?

atomicradish 06-26-2007 02:32 PM

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda...26200977QQrdZ1

Buy it now for only $3500. It is a 91 model. Where I live cars are a bit cheaper, so I'm sure you could easily find a mid 90s for the same price.

I just like the styling better on the Del Sol. They're a lot more sporty looking. Plus you have the reliability of a Honda as well.

I wouldn't mind having a Metro convertible either though.

GasSavers_Antoine 06-26-2007 03:13 PM

Cars I am hoping to get :

Cleanova 3
Smart hybrid ( dsl/electr.)

VetteOwner 06-26-2007 03:35 PM

hmm well seeing as both my cars will prolyl last for another 10 years.. it may be a while.

but id love to get the new VW truck when/if it comes out

it would really be up to the tranny. i will not even consider buying an automatic. too damn boring to drive...

a first generation long bed s-10 with the ol iron duke engine might be nice...

ma4t 06-26-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60820)
What kind of car are you realistically hoping to get in the next few years? I'm hoping to ditch the Metro, and hopefully fix up my Vision (someday), but I'd like to get a more reliable car in the next few years to make the 6 hour journey between home and college.

I have 3 cars in mind right now.

Subaru Impreza WRX
Mazda3
Volvo S60

The s60 is at the top of my list, but it is also the most expensive (even going back to '01 when they first were made). So because of that I think I would most likely end up getting an early 2000's model Impreza.

Anyone have experience with any of these 3? I didn't take FE into consideration when picking these out. The drive is far enough that I wouldn't trust any of these cheapy econoboxes to make it regularly, and a hybrid is rather expensive.

Feel free to share whatever cars you're hoping to get too.

Had the WRX STi when I lived in Japan. Loved it. My wife hated it. It was wicked fast and the only cars that I really feared were the Evo and the GT-R. I could keep up with any Evo, and most of the amateur GT-R drivers, but if they had any mods they smoked me. We graduated to a BMW. It cost less but gave me a LOT more status.

Next car will be an X3. Have driven one and loved it. I was a bit apprehensive about a BMW SUV, but we've driven our neighbor's X3, and it's just as fun if not better than a 3 series (have had two of those).

Anyway, I'm a tourist to hypermiling. I've just graduated law school and when my income jumps to 6 figures I will probably become a typical American. But right now, hypermiling is my religion.

m

Erdrick 06-26-2007 05:35 PM

Depending on what kind of job I land upon returning to the USA, I would like to get a Lexus diesel. The IS looks pretty sweet, so here's to hoping that it ends up making the trek to North America.

Otherwise I will probably be bouncing around in a VW diesel of some sorts.

88HF 06-26-2007 06:40 PM

I'd like a 88-91 civic wagon 4WD like Dax. Realistically I don't want any other vehicles. Maybe an insight, I'd take a Fiero under the right circumstances. My brother had a Volvo S60 type R. It was real fast and luxurious, he also had an acura rsx type s and now has a bmw 330i. I'd like a 335i Maybe an M3, an Acura NSX, some type of keicar, maybe a keicar truck. I really like the koenigsegg cc. I want to build a car, perhaps not from scratch, but that is very unlike any other that I might want from the factory.

atomicradish 06-26-2007 07:08 PM

The S60 R is really nice. I don't think I could afford a type R though. I'm basically looking at the 2001 models... the first ones they built. Body is essentially the same, so it could pass for a new car.

We got an S80 1999 model for $7200 on ebay. Luxury car all the way. It only had 79,000 miles too. It's amazing what you can get on ebay.

It's a shame that cars cost so much in Canada. The S80 we got was about 50 grand brand new... yet it cost almost the same as a 1991 model Miata.. crazy.

88HF, why do you want a Civic wagon? I'd much rather have an (operable) CRX.

GasSavers_Ryland 06-26-2007 07:16 PM

I kind of like all the cars that are currently avalible to me, even more so now that there is a Honda N600 around, if my civic vx died, and my '83 civic was no longer around I would start looking for, in order of priority:
Kawasaki Ninja 250.
2nd generation CRX.
A 6th generation (96-00) civic hatchback with an HX engine, and VX tranny.
2006-07 VW TDI Golf
Commuta-car.
Honda Insight.

And if I needed to haul more stuff then I do, and needed 4 wheel drive, then I would get a diesel toyota tercel wagon.

cfg83 06-26-2007 10:37 PM

6 Attachment(s)
atomicradish -

Hrrmmmmmmm, realistically? A six hour trip. Can't say I would pick any that are comfortable enough for the trip. How about a 3 hour tour instead?

Attachment 642

But anyway ...

Pontiac Vibe - White with unpainted plastic lower body, base version with MT

Saturn SC1 coupe, last year made - I have overcome my distaste for the revised bodywork in favor of lower miles on the odometer. Assymetrical 3rd suicide door!!!!!!!!!!

2002 Mercury Cougar, if I didn't care about the MPG or repair bills.

A last year-made CRX.

A Del Sol that I could transmogrify into a fake CRX.

Maybe a Saturn "Astra" coupe when it comes out. It depends on the fuel economy.

.... Then there's not very realistic ...

New CRX :
https://uk.cars.yahoo.com/060116/36/t/1z7ux.html
Attachment 641

Manx SR (all time favorite kit car on shortened VW bug chassis) :
https://www.manxsr.com/
Attachment 640

Porsche 550 Spyder Kit Car

Fiat Punto, Fiat Punto Grande, Fiat Panda

CarloSW2

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60887)
88HF, why do you want a Civic wagon? I'd much rather have an (operable) CRX.

Are you kidding? the Wagon looks WAY cooler and is four times as practical - four seats compared to two, four doors compared to two, four times the storage space, RT 4WD!!!! To each their own though. :)

tom_eberhard 06-27-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 60820)
What kind of car are you realistically hoping to get in the next few years? ... I'd like to get a more reliable car in the next few years to make the 6 hour journey between home and college.

For a 6 hour trip it kinda depends on how much crap you're hauling around, and how often you take the trip.

I'm gonna get the one I'm building. :) :) :)
It's going to be one of the cars on my survey, see (https://www.GreenPlanetGarage.com) for pictures.
My top 3 choices are the Jaguar XK120, the Mercedes Gullwing, or the '41 Willys Coupe.

Tom.

GasSavers_bobski 06-27-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 60832)
The Del Sols do intrigue me, but I haven't seen a soft-top version yet.

Unless you find a custom one or have one made, you won't. You have two options... Targa top, and power targa top. As with most of the cool Honda tidbits, you'll only find the power version in Japan.

Well, I have next to no income these days, so realisiticly I could only see myself picking up a Ninja 250R in the next few years. If my income picks up and I need something with more than two seats, maybe a 5th gen Civic hatch or a Fit. If I win the lottery or otherwise have money to burn, an S2000, Lotus Elise, Exige or Ariel Atom. :)

repete86 07-02-2007 10:27 AM

An early 80's VW or Benz diesel with a manual. The crappier looking the better as long as it runs. I will convert it to run on veggie oil.

Peakster 07-03-2007 08:17 AM

I found a 1984 Pontiac Fiero for sale the other day when I was in Saskatoon at a Honda dealership. The car looked just like my old one, except this was an SE model so it had more power options. It also only had 53,000 miles on the odometer.

I took it for a test drive and immedately fell in love with it... then the Salesperson told me the price: $4,950 :eek:. I told them I'd buy it that day for $3,600 taxes in, but they said the lowest they could go was $4,600 taxes in.

$4,600 is a lot of money for a 23 year-old car (I bought my '85 model for only $2,200). And here I thought I was going to have yet another car here at GasSavers.

kickflipjr 07-03-2007 06:27 PM

In general any small stick shift 4 banger will do. I like wagons/hatchbacks too because of there versatility.

But if I could choose:
-Honda Insight
-Any Saturn s-series (late sc1 is preferred)
-CRX hf
-Civic vx, hatch, or wagon
-Ninja 250
-early 90s Nissan Sentra
-Ariel Atom
https://www.diseno-art.com/images/ariel-atom-side.jpg

basjoos 07-03-2007 06:47 PM

I'm holding out on buying another car until one comes out that can match the mileage of my aero-modded Civic CX. When they come out with a 4-seat car that can easily achieve 86mpg at 65mph, then I'd be interested. But if they come out with a hybrid or diesel 4-seater that gets 70mpg at 60mph that looks like it could be aero modded up to my specs, I would consider it. The advantage of a hybrid is that they can get good mileage at lower speeds (which my car doesn't), so once I modded it, I would have a car that got good mileage at high and low speeds.

CoyoteX 07-03-2007 07:55 PM

I have way more cars than I need so the only car I plan on adding if I ever find one at a good price is a '58 Fury/Belvedere :)

But I will probably just keep adding junk Metros to my collection, I have 3 extras right now for spare parts. I plan on driving this one till I can't get gas for it anymore or something comes out that is not just equal to it but better in every way I care about.

Hockey4mnhs 07-03-2007 09:28 PM

i just want a vx

CoyoteX 07-03-2007 09:39 PM

I change my answer :) I forgot I was going to buy a Suzuki DR650 dual sport bike sometime this summer and take off on it to Alaska if I have time before school starts back.

GasSavers_Red 07-03-2007 10:18 PM

Realistically, something like (in random order)

Civic HX (under 120k miles)
00+ Jetta TDI (under $5k)
Late 90s Passat TDI (same as the Jetta)
Late 90s Eclipse GSX (a block that doesn't walk or already has)

If I had $$
Mazda 3s
00-05 Toyota Celica GT

If a get rich once I get my degree (Software Engineering) than
Diesel 3 series or a 335 w/ the Civic HX

GasSavers_Adam 07-03-2007 10:31 PM

My signature says it all, the only problem is that:
"At this time, there are no plans to offer a diesel version of the smart fortwo here in the United States. This decision was based upon the US emission requirements for the diesel engine."
I'm considering petitioning Daimler to bring the new version of the CDI to the US in 2009 with the Blutech system.

Some info the new version of the CDI here:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...rchrysler.html

jharbert 07-04-2007 05:32 AM

I want an electric car for a three-season daily commuter. I'd like to get started building one in about three years. Any number of donor vehicles would be suitable.

Then, in no particular order:

1st-gen Miata with Jackson Racing supercharger for fun
Dodge Cummins 2wd extended cab with a flatbed for hauling stuff
Honda Fit for the girlfriend

I'm going to keep the Metro until it can't be rebuilt anymore. Hard to let go of 47mpg. Not sure what the long term plans for the Protégé are yet.

Sigifrith 07-04-2007 07:15 AM

A non-red 95 VX
A non-red 94 VX
A non-red 93 VX
A non-red 92 VX
OR, in Racing Green......
A Tesla Roadster
https://www.teslamotors.com/styling/body.php

Telco 07-05-2007 12:53 PM

I've got the one, my 87 ext cab S15 pickup. The other one I want is a Corvette, either a C4 or a C5. Course, the wife wants a C3 but they aren't so comfy. And as soon as I can pick up a take out 4.5L V8 turbodiesel from the 2008 or 2009 trucks in the salvage yard, both will get them. I figure a turbodiesel in a Corvette body ought to turn out some pretty impressive mileage figures, and with 300HP and 500+ ft lbs of torque it ought to put down some pretty impressive quarter mile times. Same engine would go in the truck. The 6.6 Duramax is seeing as high as 30MPG in the 1 ton trucks, so I figure the smaller engine in a smaller, lighter vehicle should be able to get into the high 40s, might even hit the 50s or 60s with careful part selection.

Then I can have my speed and fuel economy too! :D

If money were not an issue, other cars I want:
1963 Corvette
1969 Firebird convertible
1970 Chevelle SS 4 speed
1972 Cutlass Supreme
1972 Buick Skylark
1987 Cutlass Supreme
1987 Buick Grand National
1987 K5 Blazer
1987 Z28 Camaro 5 speed
Any year Lexus SC-430

jcp123 07-17-2007 11:43 AM

Realistically?

'27 T roadster, Hudson 308ci Twin-H I6 build to NASCAR 7X spec or a cheapie junkyard smallblock Chevy
'53 Hudson Hornet, Twin-H 308ci I6
'56 Olds 88, preferably a 2d HT
'57 DeSoto, any model, preferably 2d HT or a wagon
'58-'61 Chevrolet, any model, preferable 2d HT or convertible
'59 Buick, any model, preferably 2d HT, convertible, or a wagon
'63.5 Ford Galaxie 2d fastback HT

Once my Focus is paid off, no more late-model cars for me.

korax123 07-20-2007 03:11 PM

98-2004 BMW M5

Realistically 98-2004 BMW 540i 6 speed manual.

rh77 07-21-2007 06:50 PM

Excellent Question

I'm asked this question all the time, and it's hard to answer.

Ideally, I'd like an aerodynamic hatch or wagon with low displacement and a manual gearbox suitable for efficient highway use. It has be mass produced, easily serviced, and the method of propulsion readily available.

Goal: low-emissions, everyday driveability, 4-passenger capacity...

I've often imagined of the Civic GX with a home Natural Gas filler unit and plug-in hybrid IMA drivetrain with 5-speed manual (if it existed). Out of the box, the Fit Manual looks like a good replacement for the 'Teg.

Reliability notwithstanding, if I could try any car in the world, the UK offers a few Diesel options...

-UKDM: Citroen C4 HDI (92 bhp) 5-door. Diesel, low-emissions, good aero. Smaller Citroen hatches aren't suited for highway use.

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../267131332.jpg
Rumors of the diesel-electric hybrid sound good...

-UKDM: Honda Civic Hatchback 2.2 i-CTDi Sport 5-door. A Diesel Civic with a Fit-like engine, interior, and emissions profile...

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../267133818.jpg

-UKDM: Hyundai i30 Hatchback 1.6 CRDi 5-door. Looks like a Diesel Elantra 5-door with extras and good FE/emissions.

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../267135302.jpg

-UKDM: Toyota Auris 5-Door Hatchback D-4D. Why don't we have this here?

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../267137096.jpg

All of these have an optional Diesel engine that have lower CO2 emissions and higher FE. Assuming these could be modified for our stricter Diesel emissions standards would be great. Otherwise, decent gasser engines can be optioned.

There's still a horsepower streak that needs to let loose...

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../233867418.jpg
This looks like fun for the weekends :D