Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   60 mph - how do you do it? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/60-mph-how-do-you-do-it-5202.html)

McPatrick 06-27-2007 10:02 AM

60 mph - how do you do it?

I'm considering lowering my spead to 60 mph, but I will admit that it is already a challenge driving 65 mph, so I was wondering how other people do it. Some music might help, but then again sometimes it works the opposite and instead stimulates me to go faster :)

CO ZX2 06-27-2007 10:29 AM

Rather than making myself comfortable, I think of staying out of others' way as much as possible. I look in my mirrors as much as out the windshield. A SuperMid would keep your mind on FE.

60 should not be a big problem, some here go a lot slower than that.

How far do you drive each day? Where are you located?

northboundtrain 06-27-2007 10:38 AM

Get a volkswagen naturally aspirated diesel :D

s2man 06-27-2007 10:39 AM

Get a ScanGuage and keep an eye on Throttle Position, Gallons per Hour, or Instantaneous MPG. That should give you incentive to let off the throttle. And, it will also make you want to coast further and more often . It did for me :-)

BTW, I was behind a guy in a Prius the other day, and boy was he driving like a jerk. Going slow and coasting; he must have been going for FE. LOL. I guess I've got a ways to go in my driving habits to reach my car's potential. But I hate do that during rush-hour traffic. :-S

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2007 10:41 AM

Lowering your speed takes great effort. Getting used to people riding your bumper and passing you was the hardest part for me to get over.

jwxr7 06-27-2007 10:46 AM

Yeah, it takes willpower to go slower than the flow. I go 55 in a 70 for part of my commute, but it's usually not too busy. Gotta watch the mirrors like they said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by northboundtrain (Post 60981)
Get a volkswagen naturally aspirated diesel :D

wow! a car with less horsepower than mine :D . Probably has alote more torque than mine though.

MnFocus 06-27-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 60980)
Rather than making myself comfortable, I think of staying out of others' way as much as possible. I look in my mirrors as much as out the windshield. A SuperMid would keep your mind on FE.
60 should not be a big problem, some here go a lot slower than that.

How far do you drive each day? Where are you located?

Exactly ! FE is a concentration game for me , avoidance as well as politeness are part of that game . For semi's I try to give a 1/4 mile notice of my slower speed with the E-flashers (as well as headlights when they are clear to return to the slow lane ) . They seem to appreciate it A LOT .

The ScanGauge really helps with instant feedback as well as 'rewards' ( SuperMid would of course be same/same ) .
60!?? would seem like warp speed for me LOL :p My daily avg speed is 48 ! I haven't been over 57 in weeks !!

DaX ...do you *ever* really get over it ? I haven't yet and it really irks me - especially when the left lane is clear for miles !

McPatrick 06-27-2007 10:50 AM

Yeah, especially with trucks passing you. It's almost like I need an excuse and tell others it's not because I feel like 90 years old :)
mnaybe I should make a sticker saying something like 'going 60 mpg" or something :)
That Scangauge i read a lot about, but one of the reasons for buying the VX is out of economic reasons as well, and I am not sure how much a Scangauge is but I am sure I could buy quite some gallons of gas for that.

My wife will start driving it to work once the AC is fixed and she drives about 40 miles a day. I will drive it myself taking longer trips like the one thonight going up to Michigan where we unfortunately own a house that just doesn't sell and which I am fixing up. All in all I think my wife will put around 10K a year on it and myself, with family trips and such included, another 10K.

Fuzzy5150 06-27-2007 11:08 AM

I use to really sweat it when someone rode my tail......now, if I'm not changing lanes or merging, I don't look in the mirror at all. I run 55-58 on a 65 and 70 mpg divided highway.

It is my little 'head game' with myself.

bbgobie 06-27-2007 11:08 AM

Eye on the scangauge, and looking for the next great draft.
Its not as hard as I thought it would be.