Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   1990 Subaru Sambar (kei truck) driver here... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/1990-subaru-sambar-kei-truck-driver-here-5221.html)

GasSavers_DaX 07-02-2007 04:21 AM

Colin - are you not registered? PM me if you're not comfortable talking about this in the public eye...

GasSavers_Colin 07-02-2007 09:33 AM

I'm driving it with ATV registration at the moment. PM sent.

Thanks,
Colin

OdieTurbo 07-02-2007 11:03 AM

I'm a little late, but welcome to the site! Neato truck there! I saw one out near here in Athens, PA a few weeks ago. I'll have to find it again and get a pic. They're really neat! If I didn't have to haul around kids I'd get one!

1982traxxas1982 07-03-2007 12:49 PM

Lookin For A Kei

Hi My name is evan I am going to buy myself a kei truck now i just have to decide which one. I have it narrowed down to 2. i really like the look of the mitsubishi minicab, but like the fact that the subaru has a 5 speed tranny rear engine and more cab room. Which would you get and why? As well as has anyone lowered there kei truck, and if so do you have any pictures.

repete86 07-03-2007 01:12 PM

Awesome little truck! Probably infinitely more functional than these SUT pieces of crap.

GasSavers_Ryland 07-03-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 61745)
I'm a little late, but welcome to the site! Neato truck there! I saw one out near here in Athens, PA a few weeks ago. I'll have to find it again and get a pic. They're really neat! If I didn't have to haul around kids I'd get one!

our university has a number of these trucks that they use for grounds, and matenence, they also have a number of vans of simaler design, I think they are 6 passenger vans if they have all the seats left in, around here they are alowed on city streets, but only alowed to cross state highways, the main road thru town is a state highway, for use in town they seem to be ideal.

GasSavers_Colin 07-03-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1982traxxas1982 (Post 61852)
Hi My name is evan I am going to buy myself a kei truck now i just have to decide which one. I have it narrowed down to 2. i really like the look of the mitsubishi minicab, but like the fact that the subaru has a 5 speed tranny rear engine and more cab room. Which would you get and why? As well as has anyone lowered there kei truck, and if so do you have any pictures.

The Sambar is generally considered to be one of the more premium models available (right up there with the Honda Acty.) The Minicab doesn't really seem as common... and... it's a Mitsubishi. Steer clear. :D

Are you going to jack it up and paint it like T-Maxx, Mr. Traxxas? :thumbup: If you're going to modify the hell out of it, get a Suzuki Carry, Mazda Scrum, or Daihatsu Hijet. They've all got mid-mounted engines and solid axles and can easily be lifted 3" or so. These are the more common of the kei trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 61932)
I tried to sit in a Subie and it was really, really tight. I've seen "extended cab" versions and that's what I'd need.

Yeah, I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs... so it's a bit tight. My left knee is on the dash, and it's difficult to drive with the wipers on full blast. I'm thinking of relocating the seatback a little bit rearward and eliminating the control stalks in favor of rocker or toggle switches in some of the various switch blanks on the dash. That should really open things up. :thumbup:

Having a double-throw rocker for turn signals might suck a little bit... hmm...

Colin

1982traxxas1982 07-04-2007 08:27 PM

Lookin For A Kei

Is the mitsu that easy to lift as well, because its mid engine as well? Why do you not like the suby?

GasSavers_Colin 07-04-2007 09:10 PM

I don't dislike the Sambar - it's practically superior to the other models in every way. It's a four cylinder, rather than a three. It's got a five speed, rather than a four. It's got four wheel independent suspension (including coil-sprung semi-trailing arms in the rear,) rather than a solid axle and leaf springs. Unfortunately, the Sambar is difficult to lift because of its suspension design. It handles well on the street, which ultimately is more important to me than the ability to crawl over obstacles in the woods.

I haven't really seen a Minicab in person, unlike all the other kei-class models. They're less common. I imagine they're similar to the Hijet/Carry/Scrum in that they have a solid axle and leaf springs; if that's the case, the Minicab should be a fairly simple truck to lift. :)

Colin

1982traxxas1982 07-04-2007 09:32 PM

kickflipjr
granny just passed me

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 837 miles

Im a semi professional bike rider 900 miles aint that much i do 30 miles a day every day of the week on weekend usually more then next week I have a bike tour planned and we are going more then 1300 miles